Put Older Classifieds on Top

Jymotion

I figure this one will be a bit controversial, so feel free to post your opinions.  I'll add pros and cons as they are presented.

The classifieds are useful because it gives you the cheapest selling price at the very top.  However, when there are multiple people selling at that price, it will list the newer sellers above the older sellers.

Pros:

• The sellers of the newest trades will be more likely to be online.  (Would it be able to implement an indicator next to trades?  A colored dot indicating if the person is online or not? done <3)
  • RuffRyders: Old links are usually sold and just not updated.

Cons:

• Does not benefit "getting there first"
  • Classifieds are more difficult to use as "unsolds" because it is unclear how long it has been there and how many trades have sold above it.  Someone could have been trying to sell an item on the classifieds for a week, but it appears brand new because it is constantly "bumped".  It could also cause an item to go unsold for days because people just keep buying from the more recent sellers at the top of the list.

Debatable:

• Encourages "bumping" trades to stay on top of the list.
    • The benefit of the classifieds is seeing the item sorted by price.  In order to see this sorted list, you have to search the classifieds for that item.  People do not always do this, as they may just see the item on the front page and add the seller from there.  That is one benefit of "bumping" (getting on the front page).  I do not believe it should also be rewarded by being put atop the list of sellers.  I think there should be a drawback, that you get on the frontpage, but get ranked below older trades at that price.

Really, I think it boils down to: "Is bumping good for the classifieds and should it be encouraged".  As it is now, bumping is encouraged, despite it being inconvenient (must re-enter price and comment.  no actual 'bump' button).  I believe buyers should buy from the cheapest online seller that has been waiting the longest.

•  (Would it be able to implement an indicator next to trades?  A colored dot indicating if the person is online or not?)

this pls

Most of the time the older ones have already sold theirs and they are invalid (not accepting invites etc)

Most of the time the older ones have already sold theirs and they are invalid (not accepting invites etc)

I wouldn't say "most of the time", but that certainly is a concern I hadn't thought of.  They don't update until someone looks at the backpack.

most of them are sold and ded because autoclose is ded

many people would stop selling on classifieds if it was in old order

maybe a choose option

many people would stop selling on classifieds if it was in old order

maybe a choose option

I don't agree that people would stop using it.  I think it would result in better competition (people lowering their price by a scrap so that they could be atop the list), which is what the classifieds seem to be built for.

I wouldn't advocate a choose option, just because it isn't something anyone would bother with in their preferences.  I think it should be a flat policy based on whatever the philosophy of the classifieds is (which I guess is what I'm trying to sort out)

Again, yeah, the dead links are an issue.

Archived