backpack.tf automatic help thread

Brad Pitt

ATTENTION: Automatic is currently no longer supported by developers and may contain a number of vulnerabilities that put you at risk, a replacement project is planned, more info here: https://backpack.tf/classifieds/agents

I'll leave this thread up since the community can help each other, but be aware that feature requests and bug fixes won't happen and if you don't know what you are doing you put yourself at risk.

If you're having issues installing / running backpack.tf automatic, post here.

Old link: https://bitbucket.org/srabouin/backpack.tf-automatic

Current link: https://bitbucket.org/jessecar/backpack.tf-automatic

Some stats as of Oct 20, 2014:

• 92 users have installed automatic

• 70 users successfully sold an item automatically

• 2649 users bought an item automatically

• 3560 completed trades

Some stats as of Feb 5, 2015:

• 1176 users have installed automatic
  • 883 users successfully sold an item automatically

• 37258 users bought an item automatically

• 153920 completed trades

It is really easy to install. Watch this guy install it in ~4 minutes (which includes download times) on Youtube:

• Like 5

• Administrators

Edit: Wait, is it a SCRIPT or an APPLICATION? I don't want to test it out yet, maybe later.

If it was a script...There wouldn't be much hassle dassle. Its an application. You need to install it in your device to make it work. 

I had trouble understanding it, can someone give me a quick rundown?

It sounds similar to Bazaar's Buy Now (Which is awesome)

I had trouble understanding it, can someone give me a quick rundown?

It sounds similar to Bazaar's Buy Now (Which is awesome)

It's not like Bazaar's buy now since you keep the items in your own backpacks and do whatever you want with them just like you do today, so you're not limited to listing on a single website.

steam-trade for node.js seems to have the ability to set authentication information such as a session ID manually.

Can I do that, too with this? I only see shaSentryfile in the settings and have no idea how to create that. A sentry file does not seem to be present either.

Edit: It looks like the shaSentryfile is a 160 Bits number which is the length of a SHA1 hash. The question is just, hash of what? If it's of an ssfn file, of which one? I compared the hash to my existing sentry files and, of course, it matched none of them. If a new sentry file was generated when setting up the bot, where is it saved?

steam-trade for node.js seems to have the ability to set authentication information such as a session ID manually.

Can I do that, too with this? I only see shaSentryfile in the settings and have no idea how to create that. A sentry file does not seem to be present either.

Run the bot, it will ask for your steam guard code (shaSentryfile). It's really just a string, not a file.

Encountered one small bug. If I start the bot for the first time, and stop it before entering my steam credentials, I won't be able to login into the bot again. Solution to the bug is to erase settings.json file. The cause of the problem is, that on first start empty settings.json file is created. On the second launch, bot tries to login using empty settings.json, it fails and in login error handler there is a code which erases contents of settings. 

I don't have any experience with that, but the shaSentryFile is basically a copy of the steam ssfn file. I guess it would be possible to use that data and bypass using node steam altogether if you know a bit what you're doing. Google steam ssfn.

A sentry/ssfn file is 2048 bytes whereas the shaSentryFile value is 20 bytes (160 Bit), as SHA1 values tend to be, encoded in with base64, so that is probably not correct.

Edit: I just tried putting the steamMachineAuth7656... cookie for my test account into the settings.json, but unfortunately did not work. I was still asked to enter a Steam Guard code. :(

(Of course I converted it to the proper format before adding it to the settings.)

Encountered one small bug. If I start the bot for the first time, and stop it before entering my steam credentials, I won't be able to login into the bot again. Solution to the bug is to erase settings.json file. The cause of the problem is, that on first start empty settings.json file is created. On the second launch, bot tries to login using empty settings.json, it fails and in login error handler there is a code which erases contents of settings. 

What version are you running? I think that was fixed a while ago.

I've built from sources, since it was one of the options from installation guide. But what I can see from sources  that the bug is still there, if line 185 of bot.js is reached, you will get guaranteed NPE later.

I'm getting an error after I enter my username, password, and bp.tf token:

\New folder\bot.js:140
            settings.account.password = result.password;
                                                       ^
TypeError: Cannot set property 'password' of undefined

I have an idea. Instead of just using this "automatic" bot for selling stuff, why not use it for buying stuff as well? Something similar to the "sniping" done on ebay

I have an idea. Instead of just using this "automatic" bot for selling stuff, why not use it for buying stuff as well? Something similar to the "sniping" done on ebay

My assumption is probably because it encourages/helps users shark or you become a shop for scammers/alts to dump their stuff.

Yes, i am aware the bot refuses marked scammers but considering steamrep's hilarious backlog of 6months+ to get anyone marked...

• Like 1

My assumption is probably because it encourages/helps users shark or you become a shop for scammers/alts to dump their stuff.

Yes, i am aware the bot refuses marked scammers but considering steamrep's hilarious backlog of 6months+ to get anyone marked...

It also refuses trade offers from users banned on backpack.tf.

I'm getting an error after I enter my username, password, and bp.tf token:

\New folder\bot.js:140

settings.account.password = result.password;

^

TypeError: Cannot set property 'password' of undefined

Fixed in v0.0.12

How can I tell when this is working? I entered everything and it came up with a bunch of scripting which ended up saying "enter any key to continue", and entering any key to continue closes the cmd window.

If you get a message saying "press any to continue" that's because it crashed, read above what the error is, you can right-click copy and paste here

https://bitbucket.org/srabouin/backpack.tf-automatic

Scroll to the bottom and read that common error message

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I went to the bottom, reinstalled OpenSSL [the 64 bit version instead of 32 bit version, as I have Windows 8 64-bit and already tried the 32 bit version] and reinstalled the Visual C++ package.

It still has the same message.

EDIT: Never mind, I reinstalled OpenSSL AGAIN and it turns out that you have to allow it to send DLLs to the Windows directionary rather than the OpenSSL file.