Your opinion on abortion

Toosdey

98 members have voted

1. 1. What is your stance on abortion?

• Yes, it should be legal.
    • No, it should not be legal.

So, personally I have no problem with abortion. The woman has the right to do with her body as she pleases. If an unplanned pregnancy or rape occurs, and the woman / her partner do not wish to have a child, they have the right to abort the pregnancy. Medically, a fetus is not alive until about six weeks into pregnancy. It absolutely disgusts me that it is primarily men, who would never know what it's like to be put in this situation, have the audacity to think that they can control if a woman chooses to have an abortion (I am a male, and I know that not all pro-life activists are male, but it astounds me to think that they can have power over a situation they themselves would never be in.) And what if a woman is raped? She HAS to have the child? And what about low income families that maybe can't afford to sustain another child? Why must they be forced to do it anyways? I know I'm slightly ranting... Done shortly. And if the baby is being born into a single parent home (if the father abandons the mother, for example) or a family or environment that doesn't produce a comfortable quality of life to the child, is it fair to the child that it be born into a dangerous or sub-par environment? I'm done... Discuss. I'm interested to find out people's views on the topic.

• Replies 164
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't really care; but I don't understand the issue...

Women want the choice to do with their body what they please. Fine. You don't want to get pregnant, then don't have sex.

Something your parents should've done.

jk

Better question: Why SHOULDN'T abortion be legal?

Is killing a person legal? 

How is aborting a fetus (baby...) any different than killing someone? 

Is killing a person legal? 

How is aborting a fetus (baby...) any different than killing someone? 

You can't kill something that is not alive.

Why the hell do people think this is a black and white issue?

In my opinion however people should keep the baby unless the following happens:

1.Rape

2.Incest

3.Endangerment of mother.

4.Baby's heart is not/ has not started beating

If the following criteria has not met above, it's murder.

You can't kill something that is not alive.

If a person's heart stops they're dead. If a doctor starts it again then they've been saved and are now alive again. 

Well, at around just over a month the heart starts to beat.

Why the hell do people think this is a black and white issue?

In my opinion however people should keep the baby unless the following happens:

1.Rape

2.Incest

3.Endangerment of mother.

4.Baby's heart is not/ has not started beating

If the following criteria has not met above, it's murder.

Agreed. well, with the first three anyway. 

If a person's heart stops they're dead. If a doctor starts it again then they've been saved and are now alive again. 

Well, at around just over a month the heart starts to beat.

Agreed. well, with the first three anyway. 

Let me rephrase. You can't kill something that is not, or has ever been alive.

I'm generally anti-abortion however, I do believe that abortion should be an option in some cases. While a woman does and should have a right to do as she pleases, there is a valid argument in saying that a fetus is not part of a woman's body and is its own entity. 

Also why shouldn't men be interested in the life of their unborn child? The premise that "teh patriarchy XD" is out to control women's reproductive choices for no other reason but for control is ridiculous. Just because men can't get pregnant doesn't mean they are incapable of understanding the situation or that their views are any less valid just because they aren't the ones with the baby physically in them. Having a kid requires 2 people Minimizing and dismissing the father's views on the issue as men only trying to control women is disgusting.

Why should it matter if the person who is pregnant is unable to afford the costs of the child? If the person is of age and of capable mental capacity, why should a life be taken for the incompetence of the parents? If anything people who cannot afford a child need to take responsibility and either not have sex/get sterilized or realize they are taking a huge risk.

Why should it matter if the person who is pregnant is unable to afford the costs of the child? If the person is of age and of capable mental capacity, why should a life be taken for the incompetence of the parents? If anything people who cannot afford a child need to take responsibility and either not have sex/get sterilized or realize they are taking a huge risk.

You can't reduce a matter of a general right to your own body vs. what is life to just being about a group that is too incompetent or irresponsible to take care of a baby. Heck, even if you go with a "what is life"-approach, you have to acknowledge that this life wouldn't exist without the genes of its parents, making their opinion, and ultimately, their choice on the matter a lot more meaningful that anyone else's.

You can't reduce a matter of a general right to your own body vs. what is life to just being about a group that is too incompetent or irresponsible to take care of a baby. Heck, even if you go with a "what is life"-approach, you have to acknowledge that this life wouldn't exist without the genes of its parents, making their opinion, and ultimately, their choice on the matter a lot more meaningful that anyone else's.

That was directed at the OP stating that "And what about low income families that maybe can't afford to sustain another child? Why must they be forced to do it anyways?" The general point I was trying to make is that people need to need to be reproductivly responsible. If a couple is in a situation that does not allow them to have another/a child (for financial reasons) they either need to ensure that they cannot get pregnant or just not have sex. 

If anything people who cannot afford a child need to take responsibility and either not have sex/get sterilized or realize they are taking a huge risk.

Mmmmm yes, sterilize those filthy poor people.

That was directed at the OP stating that "And what about low income families that maybe can't afford to sustain another child? Why must they be forced to do it anyways?" The general point I was trying to make is that people need to need to be reproductivly responsible. If a couple is in a situation that does not allow them to have another/a child (for financial reasons) they either need to ensure that they cannot get pregnant or just not have sex. 

That's like saying if someone doesn't have a good health care plan, they need to ensure that they won't get hit by a car on their way to work. People are people, demanding they stop to have sex because they can't raise a child is a completely unfeasable demand in reality.

Why should it matter if the person who is pregnant is unable to afford the costs of the child?

Because if the baby is born into a poor family, it won't get the nutrients and love it needs to live. It will die of malnutrition. So would you rather have a fetus completely avoid that? Or let it slowly die to death?

Because if the baby is born into a poor family, it won't get the nutrients and love it needs to live. It will die of malnutrition. So would you rather have a fetus completely avoid that? Or let it slowly die to death?

we're talking about developed countries here m8, very few (if any) children actually die in these developing countries of hunger

nobody here has mentioned adoption, and i think it's critical for this argument. put the child up for adoption, in most cases it will be taken by a loving family.

i'd rather be adopted than to never exist, and i think most people here will agree

we're talking about developed countries here m8, very few (if any) children actually die in these developing countries of hunger

nobody here has mentioned adoption, and i think it's critical for this argument. put the child up for adoption, in most cases it will be taken by a loving family.

i'd rather be adopted than to never exist, and i think most people here will agree

Except the hard fact it is to give up your child.

Except the hard fact it is to give up your child.

killing it is much better. you're right. 

But y'know those people could also get another job and/or stop wasting their money. 

Archived