I want to get into unusual trading... but where to start?

DejaQ

I have 16 keys pure in my backpack and I think about 1.5 buds in total, but that's if I sold all the cosmetics that I use (which most likely I wouldn't do).

I feel that trading with unusuals is the next step up, and I have never owned one. I've got no idea where to start.

Do I buy the best one I can afford or buy quicksells or something else?

Is there some kind of guide I can read through?

Thanks for reading, hope you can help me out.

Do your best to avoid cancer, it's just so hard to sell, let alone make a profit.  Try to find quicksells to get started, that way you can at least generate some money to move up in prices.

i can sell you my unusual Berliners bucket helm for 15 keys its a key or 2 cheaper then original price

Erm, no. I checked your BP and 15 keys is in the backpack.tf range. Nice try, picking on the newbs.

Which are the cancer unusuals/effects?

How do I find quicksells?

SO MANY QUESTIONS

Finding legitimate quicksells is actually quite hard. 

Third gen/robo effects are generally considered cancer. They don't sell for anything other than third gens/robos unless you discount them a quite a bit (mainly because there current prices are still hyped up so they only sell at hyped up prices for more hyped up priced unusuals) 

third gens: disco, miami, cloud9, terror watt, kill a watt, aces high, dead presidents 

robo: anti freeze, roboactive, time warp, green black hole, time warp, phosphorus, sulfurous, over clocked, memory leak

the bucket helm wasnt a quicksell at all, he was just trying to take advantage of you *tsk tsk*

with 16 keys you can probably land a 1.3-1.5 bud unusual, try to start with first or second gens like smoking, steaming, stormy, blizzy, etc

posting a trade asking for quicksells usually seems to work for me, just be patient for them :D

Something VERY VERY important to keep in mind. 

Backpack.tf is a relative price guide. It is NOT a bible. Asking for more/offering less is in no way bad/scamming/any other bullshit people pull. Bp.tf prices aren't 100% accurate. 

Backpack.tf should be used to give you a quick idea of an unusual's general worth. You should also search outpost and see if there are consistent offers on a hat and what the current market actually looks like. 

Erm, no. I checked your BP and 15 keys is in the backpack.tf range. Nice try, picking on the newbs.

Oh to be honest i thought 16 keys was the price its self, sorry :(

Oh to be honest i thought 16 keys was the price its self, sorry :(

i can sell you my unusual Berliners bucket helm for 15 keys its a key or 2 cheaper then original price

16-2 =/= 15. 

Unbox, with some luck you´ll get something nice. :^)

looks as though he's actually traded up to his keys, thats like telling someone to use their first paycheck all on lottery tickets

only people who could care less about trading unbox unusuals with less than 100 keys, dont even try it m8

Unboxing is literally a conscious choice to destroy your keys like a masochist. Don't do it, unless you're underage/squeaker/super F2P/unbox an unusual every 10 crates. God Satan really REALLY seems to bless those guys with Unusuals.

If you're just getting into it, here's what I would do:

- Focus on only 1st gen effects (second gen is probably fine too).  Even if a deal comes along that looks too good to pass up on a third gen or robo effect, don't go for it.  It's too risky for you at this point since you will not be able to tell if what you're looking at is actually a good deal, or simply someone selling an overhyped hat/effect for the price that it really should be.

- Stay away from themed.  99% of the time, themed is just something sellers use to get more interest/value out of their hat.  The other 1% are hats that you can't even come close to affording right now (e.g. circling peace stash).

- You don't want anything gifted - just brings down the value and is a tough sell, even with a discount. 

- You don't need to be overly concerned about dupes at this point.   Nobody really cares much about the history on a 1.5 bud hat.  

- When you get sweets, make sure it's not just the junk of the other guy's backpack,  You don't want a bunch of killstreaks or shitty hats painted lime or pink.  You want easy to sell items, preferably worth at least a key so you don't have to deal with a bunch of ref.  

- If you think normal trading is full of profit hungry vampires, wait until you get into unusual trading.......

- Lastly, if seems to good to be true, it probably is.  

looks as though he's actually traded up to his keys, thats like telling someone to use their first paycheck all on lottery tickets

only people who could care less about trading unbox unusuals with less than 100 keys, dont even try it m8

- Stay away from themed.  99% of the time, themed is just something sellers use to get more interest/value out of their hat.  The other 1% are hats that you can't even come close to affording right now (e.g. circling peace stash).

Expanding on this, if you dont see the "theme" on your first gance or if you need to explain your theme at all it probably isnt themed.

Some obvious themes: Planets bubble pipe (astronaut), burning chef hat for pyro(chef)...etc

dont get mixed up between theme and a suitable effect.

Wonderful advice from AwesomeMcCoolName, Kevin the Chicken God and Gren. Is there anyway I can give you forum rep or something, because you have all been big helps. Cheers guys and gals.

third gens: disco, miami, cloud9, terror watt, kill a watt, aces high, dead presidents 

robo: anti freeze, roboactive, time warp, green black hole, time warp, phosphorus, sulfurous, over clocked, memory leak

Cloud 9 is still fairly liked IMO. KaW is dropping, but for some unusuals it's still good. Why people hate disco and miami is beyond me...

Wonderful advice from AwesomeMcCoolName, Kevin the Chicken God and Gren. Is there anyway I can give you forum rep or something, because you have all been big helps. Cheers guys and gals.

Speaking of, anything other than cash related rep means nothing. And profile rep -cash related or not- means nothing. But to answer your question, no.

A last bit of advice, add someone who's familiar with unusual trading and ask them about any deals that come your way. And/or make a status update on the forum asking for opinions. I can't speak for everyone else, but you're more than welcome to add me if you need advice. 

P.s. As a general rule -note this isn't a fool proof method and isn't accurate in the least, but you can usually expect about 50% of what Bptf says on third gen or robo unusuals. Again it's not a guaranteed thing and is dependent on how recent the suggestion was.

P.p.s be sure to read peoples notes, no matter what trading you do it's an important thing that most people don't do.

if you ever need specific advice, you can use the status update part of the classifieds for whether you should take a deal or not (there's usually at least one person who knows what they're doing on), or add someone who you know is good with advice

everyone here just doesnt want another clueless person running around the market (there are more than enough already) :D

When you Start unusual Trading Here's My advice

Don't Buy Robotic Hats

Don't Buy Heavy Hats

You can get New effects but it has to be a Clear profit Major, (Ex: Cloud 9 Lucky shot for a bud)

Don't Go my backpack.tf for Unusual over a bud

Try and get market Money or start Pay Pal (People need money)

Buy any unusual for 10 keys (This includes robos since anyone would do 10)

Don't buy gifted unusual

Don't trade with scammers (Phising bot alt)

Don't buy duped items

Buy quicksells

Hope this helped :P

Speaking of, anything other than cash related rep means nothing. And profile rep -cash related or not- means nothing. But to answer your question, no.

A last bit of advice, add someone who's familiar with unusual trading and ask them about any deals that come your way. And/or make a status update on the forum asking for opinions.

P.s. As a general rule -note this isn't a fool proof method and isn't accurate in the least, but you can usually expect about 50% of what Bptf says on third gen or robo unusuals. Again it's not a guaranteed thing and is dependent on how recent the suggestion was.

P.p.s be sure to read peoples notes, no matter what trading you do it's an important thing that most people don't do.

This part actually becomes almost more important once you get into more expensive hats.  It gets really tricky up there with halloween effects and rare hats.  I'm not ashamed to admit that Creamy's saved my ass on a number of occasions.  

Speaking of asking others for advice:  don't be afraid to add people in the history of the hat someone's offering you to your friend's list and ask them how much they sold for.  Just politely ask. I find that most of the time they'll give you at least a range for what they sold for.  This can be crucial information for hats that aren't traded very often.  

Archived