Why are so many server admins assholes?

Bakgrund

In so many situations... don't even know if i need to give examples but yeah just all the time, you can do shit that's not even against the rules and they become butthurt about it and in worst case permaban you...

Do they need to be assholes to assert themselves or what is it about?

Is being an asshole obligatory to become a server-admin?

Not saying all server admins are assholes but it's pretty darn near.

Why? And if you're a server admin and especially if you're an asshole, why?

Because they have to deal with a whole lot of shit and it gets tiring and they become dicks. 

But if you're in that position, i think that you should think about a thing, if you can't deal with people and keeping it civilized without being an asshole 24/7, isn't it time to get out and do something else, you know like quit being an admin completely? it even feels like they enjoy it...

To be an admin, do you have to be a dick? Or, when you are an admin, do you inevitably become a dick?

That is the question.

But if you're in that position, i think that you should think about a thing, if you can't deal with people and keeping it civilized without being an asshole 24/7, isn't it time to get out and do something else, you know like quit being an admin completely? it even feels like they enjoy it...

Thats just what i've been told by a few admin friends. 

It takes work if you're going to actually do what an admin should be (enforcing rules). Just don't cause any trouble and they'll probably leave you alone. There's 20-30 of you, and 1 of him. I don't have experience with being a server admin except for a completely dead mc server, but I can imagine it's tough.

when you have cable and there's nothing to watch, you play tf2

when you play tf2 you go to trade servers

when you go to trade servers you see an admin opening

when you see an admin opening you apply

when you apply for admin you get accepted

when you get accepted you have to deal with a bunch of retards

when you deal with a bunch of retards you get angry

when you get angry you ban on sight

and when you ban on sight people make threads about server admins being assholes

don't make people make threads about you being an asshole, get direct tv

as a server mod i have expectations of what i want on the server and i can be ruthless in trying to get that. i often really don't like what 12 year olds think is just a fun time in a game, because it results in far too much shouting on the mic, and they're upset when they get warned or muted. or things where people don't pay any attention to me, then get upset when I act. mostly it's just ignorance of the boundaries that exist on the server that causes problems.

also bakgrund i saw you get told to change your name or leave on a server because you had #bazaar.tf in your name and they wouldn't allow links in chat, which is patently ridiculous.

Me being an admin has definately made me able to answer this question.

Piss offs in order :

1) 10 year olds

2) Trolls

3) Ragers

4) People who question authority

5) People who don't read rules

I admin a decent server most of the time, we don't have Assholes, but more of Badmins. The owner has said "Of course everyone loves you Virtue, you're a Goodmin." Honestly, the other admins abuse alot but it's really funny when we do. We deal with alot of squeakers, other language speaking players who annoy the crap out of us, Honestly if we don't have some form of output of the anger for when we deal with retards...

I admin a decent server most of the time, we don't have Assholes, but more of Badmins. The owner has said "Of course everyone loves you Virtue, you're a Goodmin." Honestly, the other admins abuse alot but it's really funny when we do. We deal with alot of squeakers, other language speaking players who annoy the crap out of us, Honestly if we don't have some form of output of the anger for when we deal with retards...

why don't you do something constructive like lift or something instead of being a shitbag

Because they have to deal with a whole lot of shit and it gets tiring and they become dicks. 

We really do.  I've been admin for some servers for about 2 years now.  The thing is, no matter how nice and polite you are, you'll make somebody mad.  It even boils down to the simplest of situations.  Suppose somebody joins a server and micspams, then a staff mutes them.  Then they whine about the mute, even though the rules clearly say not to spam.  Then they beg to be unmuted.  Then their friend joins and argues with the staff, also clearly not having read the rules.  Stuff like this happens all the time.

You just have to remember that our purpose in the most narrow sense is to remove troublesome players.  Those who hack, scam, shark, spam, exploit, etc.  Because of this, we only really notice players that cause problems.  Therefore, if you bring yourself to our attention, we'll think you have a sarcastic question regarding the rules, or some complaint, etc.  Nobody ever just says "hi".  Everybody always wants something from us or wants to fight because they can't get over the fact that the server they willingly joined has rules that they are expected to follow in order to stay on the server.

Because they don't care. After awhile of being an admin you just stop giving a shit. Ignorant children not reading. Trolls being annoying. People micspamming the crap out of the mic. Scams and sharks happening all around. People ignoring the admins. It's irritating and you get sick and tired of dealing with the same crap each day, so your give-a-shit meter is all the way down to 0.

Because they don't care. After awhile of being an admin you just stop giving a shit. Ignorant children not reading. Trolls being annoying. People micspamming the crap out of the mic. Scams and sharks happening all around. People ignoring the admins. It's irritating and you get sick and tired of dealing with the same crap each day, so your give-a-shit meter is all the way down to 0.

Pretty much sums it up i guess.

Ive never been a server admin but, you know how hard it is to become an admin? You have to put in tons of hours on that 1 server and move up from mod and whatever else there is. Ive been trading for a long time and some days i just dont want to deal with people being so ignorant (i dont mind the children much they learn, its the trolls and ignorant ego inflated people that are irritating). However some people are just assholes they exist but most people are probably the way they are because of Scorchen's reason. Probably getting tired of people ignoring them also if they arent an asshole it just wont stop. I definitely know admins that are very cocky also (went to their head) comes off as an asshole.

this

and this

After a few months of trolls, scammers, hackers etc who wouldnt turn into an asshole?

you know that pissed of feel you're feeling right now backgrund?
Imagine feeling that feel 24/7, for different people, and being stuck with it

you have to be an asshole in order to get anyone to respect you as well

I remember an admin on a server I go on banned around 25 regulars over the course of ~2 hours, it tore apart the server and the community <--- THAT IS WHAT WE WOULD DO IF WE WERE ADMINS
Nicest of the nice get made admin, then get turned into monsters. It takes an absolute angel to remain calm throughout, Im amazed polar hasnt started screaming at me (yet) for all the crap I put him through

just stay the hell out of the admins way, and think about it from they're perspective, coz you know as soon as you leave a server, some guy starts crying about something else, etc..

you know that pissed of feel you're feeling right now backgrund?

Imagine feeling that feel 24/7, for different people, and being stuck with it

you have to be an asshole in order to get anyone to respect you as well

I remember an admin on a server I go on banned around 25 regulars over the course of ~2 hours, it tore apart the server and the community <--- THAT IS WHAT WE WOULD DO IF WE WERE ADMINS

Nicest of the nice get made admin, then get turned into monsters. It takes an absolute angel to remain calm throughout, Im amazed polar hasnt started screaming at me (yet) for all the crap I put him through

just stay the hell out of the admins way, and think about it from they're perspective, coz you know as soon as you leave a server, some guy starts crying about something else, etc..

COUGH*whybalookissesuptothem*COUGHCOUGH

It really depends on the server, and how much effort was put into picking the admins. Popularity? Those admins get corrupted fast. I don't mean to be rude based on age, however I've noticed servers with an admin that is 12 years old, and easily butt-hurt.

Enforcing the rules isn't always easy. I know I didn't enjoy finding an MvM match after 20 minutes (Matchmaking time in Australia) then instantly being called to ban someone.

However, outside of that, it depends on how hard you kick their ass if you're on the other team, their age, why they are on the server at that moment, and why they were promoted.

A friend of mine just don't give a fuck anymore, he says there is more retards in tf2 than you can imagine.

Play the real game for God's sake!

I have this problem all the time.

I was on TF2-T one day, and I was on red team. I was waiting by the door for someone to walk through. Someone did, I headshot them with full charge, but I was using the machina so COMPLETELY by change the bullet went through into Tiensto. 1 day ban, boom.

I've also been banned from one server for being 14. There are no rules against being young :s 

Like most self appointed authority figures, you'll find people that want to have admin privileges are people that enjoy exerting their will over people.
You get a lot of dicks, when this happens, especially when there is virtually no vetting process for being an admin, on many servers, and most admins are just friends that know eachother or game together.

Luckily, it's just a game, and not real life, in this instance, that is impacted by these douchebags.

Some admins are great, and are there to ensure that people can "Just play." Whether that means staying in the background, or executing admin power over a disruptive individual. Though, I agree, admins are something worth just leaving a server for, if you're having a bad experience with one.
Luckily, there are a lot to choose from.

As an Server Admin and Owner for 4+ years so far myself, I can confirm what most others said.

Being always nice mostly means that you barely play and administrate on that Server.

If you are actively trying to monitor the Server day after day, you see and have to deal with a lot of bullshit.

So after some time, you don't give a f* anymore.

Archived