A Solution for an Unusual Problem - "Report a Single Sale" Functionality

polar

Everyone can agree that it's an absolute bitch to price unusuals. With our new stringent guidelines demanding quality over quantity of suggestions, this has become an even bigger issue. We don't want to backtrack from our guidelines because when a hat IS updated you can be confident of the quality of that price estimate. But wouldn't it be nice to be able to more easily get data points? Wouldn't it be nice to have an easier way to report your unusual sales without having to write a thesis paper? 

So here's the proposition. Have a "Report a Sale" function on the main site.

Rationale: Countless people make suggestions to report their own sale only to get absolutely bludgeoned by people asking for more sales / proof. Most people don't want to spend a long time researching other sales - they just want to contribute their own data points. I sell 1-2 hats a day, and 95% of the time my sales never get used for a suggestion. Having an easy place to report sales on either the main website page or on your backpack page would be glorious. 

Implementation:

(1) Have the "Report a Sale" tab on your bacpack and profile pages.

http://i.imgur.com/8cW35RS.png

http://i.imgur.com/NhlfYMH.png

(2) Have a place where a person can report their exact, single trade and require them to post either a screenshot or link to their outpost / bazaar trades. 

oZyGASK.png

(3) These data points will be compiled and available on the stats page of each hat. 

http://i.imgur.com/lflKKGY.png

(4) A person seeking to update the price of the hat can just click the tab looking for previously reported sales. If enough sales are provided, then all the proof and the exact trades are available right there in one place to make, hopefully, an easy suggestion

Consider the implications here. You could search for hats with pure sales and base suggestions around those. Once hats get established prices in pure, you will have to worry a lot less about using sales with outdated prices as proof.

P.S. Thanks to Michael and Kaushu. Usually when multiple mods independently come up with the same idea, it's worth making a suggestion thread. 

This is something we've discussed in the past. I kinda prefer the original approach:

• Allow anyone to submit a known sale with links to proof for that one sale
  • Allow the community to vote on each sale (to help mods figure out if it's valid or not, just like we do for suggestions)
  • Have a mod approve/reject the known sale and [choice between automated algorithm or mod manually inputs a new price if needed based on the added verified sale]

It's a bit simpler, I think, and involves the community a lot more.

This is something we've discussed in the past. I kinda prefer the original approach:

• Allow anyone to submit a known sale with links to proof for that one sale
  • Allow the community to vote on each sale (to help mods figure out if it's valid or not, just like we do for suggestions)
  • Have a mod approve/reject the known sale and [choice between automated algorithm or mod manually inputs a new price if needed based on the added verified sale]

It's a bit simpler, I think, and involves the community a lot more.

I think we'd end up getting flooded with suggestions for single sales this way. And the amount of research per suggestion would be the same since you would have to do research to determine whether the sale is valid / representative of the market anyways. At least now the suggester is shouldering some of the burden by putting the sales together. My proposal would lighten the load on the suggester from what it is currently by providing a single place to gather multiple sales for proof.

I think we'd end up getting flooded with suggestions for single sales this way. And the amount of research per suggestion would be the same since you would have to do research to determine whether the sale is valid / representative of the market anyways. At least now the suggester is shouldering some of the burden by putting the sales together. My proposal would lighten the load on the suggester from what it is currently by providing a single place to gather multiple sales for proof.

Maybe I didn't make myself clear, this is actually less work since a user can submit a single link pointing out a sale on tf2op for example. Other users may add more links to different sales. It's not up to one person to come up with all the sales in the previous months, and write a 5 page paragraph on why the price is good. 

I was thinking of this very idea a few days ago.

So shame on bpb for using his magic mind reading foil hat without a licence!

But good on him for making fancy pictures and making a post about it.

So it evens out, I guess.

Maybe I didn't make myself clear, this is actually less work since a user can submit a single link pointing out a sale on tf2op for example. Other users may add more links to different sales. It's not up to one person to come up with all the sales in the previous months, and write a 5 page paragraph on why the price is good. 

Brad's idea seems more effective. This way single sales are not used to "price" unusuals but the single sales are recorded and viewable easily. With enough verified sales Proper pricing becomes fairly easy.

â–‘â–‘â–‘â–‘â–‘â–‘â–‘â–‘â–‘â–‘â–‘â–‘â–‘â–‘â–‘

░░░░░░░░░░░████

░░░░░░░░░░░█░░█

░░░░░░░░░░█░░░█

░░░░░░░░░█░░░░█

███████▄▄█░░░░░██████▄

▓▓▓▓▓▓█░░░░░░░░░░░░░░█

▓▓▓▓▓▓█░░░░░░░░░░░░░░█

▓▓▓▓▓▓█░ Brad add this ░░░█

▓▓▓▓▓▓█░░░░please!░░░░░█

▓▓▓▓▓▓█░░░░░░░░░░░░░░█

▓▓▓▓▓▓█████░░░░░░░░░█

If this idea isn't implemented, a pinned sale reporting thread in website discussions or a subforum for reporting sales like the trading subforum would still probably do the trick

If this idea isn't implemented, a pinned sale reporting thread in website discussions or a subforum for reporting sales like the trading subforum would still probably do the trick

thats partly what http://forums.backpack.tf/index.php?/topic/2775-psa-unusual-price-update-request-thread/ does, but maybe a more clear cut thread would be better. maybe even make it accessible from your profile or something.

and i didn't think you'd actually make the suggestion thread polar bear, but it has my full support

Very good idea.  I thought about a similar offer two months ago (do not have time for something that would Making it in a logical chain) . I think for to motivate people to do "Single Sale"- need to accrue balls (maybe 5-10 ) for each "Single Sale". Also question remains about the motivation for suggestors , the only motivation now is top list contributors , but I think not only for me, it's long been not wondering .

I was just thinking of doing a suggestion containing only my sale. Whether it passes or not, the transaction is there for anyone to see. The transaction can still help as a reference against bad offers and such.

Archived