Overheating GPU problems

Doctor Roflcopter

Hey there BP.TF,

As you can probably tell by the title, my graphics card have been getting lot's of problem concerning it's temperature.

I've started to get these problems a lot since this morning.

It was all normal yesterday night.

Before we get into the details, here are the specs :

7rUH1.png

Yeah sure they seem normal at first,

but I usually get around 30-40 c on the card and 60-71 while ingame.  ( I use Speccy for these informations)

What happens is that...let's say I'm playing League of Legends.

In-game, you can see your FPS at the upper right corner.

I capped the FPS at 60, but after 30 minutes of gameplay, the amount of FPS suddently drops to 15-30 and the computer closes after 10 seconds.

When that happens, the screen turns black and I can hear an annoying buzzing noise.

The screen isn't off yet but the desktop is still open and after a few seconds, it closes too.

I'm using a GeForce GT640 card.

If you've been using the forums for a long time, you'll notice that this has happened to me already in September 2013.

I would love some help on this one !

Ill say the obvious, did you clean out your computer?

After a while most cases get alot of dust inside which clogs up the fans esp the cpu/gpu fan

That is completely normal.

I have a waterblock on my 680s and they get around that temp when I play pressing games.

Yes I did clean it several times already.

I find it odd that I suddently start to crash today

I've been playing League of Legends for over 6 months now and it has never happened before

How high do you run your GPU fan? If you have it set to auto, many cards don't ramp up fan speed quickly enough to deal with risings temps (newer cards do this better, or let you profile your temp patameters better). I had this issue with League, because my card was set to auto and was too conservative with fan speed. I change it to 60% or so if I'm gonna be gaming, and it works fine. If you're having issues even after putting the fan to max speed, then I'm not sure.

60-70 degrees C is an amazing temperature. At that temp, I recommend you overclock and push your card even farther.

I have had a similar issue on my GTX 670MX where the card thinks it is overheating, so it throttles GPU clock down to 135 MHz. Reinstall drivers. It's your best bet.

First: http://www.nvidia.com/object/IO_13955.html

Then install this: http://www.geforce.com/drivers/results/73780

Hopefully that will fix it :)

I think I might have a similar problem, how do I check the temperature of those in the first place?

download hwmonitor 

I think I might have a similar problem, how do I check the temperature of those in the first place?

Right click on your desktop and select your graphics driver, if it's Amd go down to performance and then Amd Overdrive, therer you can see the temperature.

If you want fancy graphs and stuff with the temperatures you can download Msi afterburner or similar programs.

Archived