Choosing a Laptop

Kevin the Chicken God

I'm looking to get a laptop that will be able to run most games, but I don't really expect it to be able to run crazy high performance games

My budget is ~$900, but the cheaper the better

I'm mostly looking for something with an i7 4th gen+ cpu, a SSD with at least 128GB, and as much RAM as I can find.

I've narrowed it down to these three (although if people can find me something similar for cheaper it would be much appreciated), and I was looking for some help as to which one to pick

https://www.amazon.com/HP-OMEN-i7-6700HQ-Quad-Core-Refurbished/dp/B071RW64WH/ref=sr_1_1?s=pc&ie=UTF8&qid=1495901958&sr=1-1-spons&keywords=hp+gaming+laptop&psc=1

https://www.amazon.com/Flagship-Performance-Touchscreen-Dedicated-Graphics/dp/B06XRNR794/ref=sr_1_20?s=pc&ie=UTF8&qid=1495903066&sr=1-20&keywords=gaming+laptop&refinements=p_n_feature_four_browse-bin%3A2289792011%2Cp_n_feature_twelve_browse-bin%3A9521908011

https://www.amazon.com/K501UW-AB78-15-6-inch-Full-HD-Gaming-Glacier/dp/B01DT49XN8/ref=sr_1_4?s=pc&ie=UTF8&qid=1495902111&sr=1-4&keywords=asus%20gaming%20laptop

Like I said, if anyone has any other advice it would be much appreciated

thanks

Lenovo Y700. Fantastic laptop, I use one.

Quad core Skylake i7, 960M, 12 gb ddr4, 128 gb add, 2 tb Usd. A steal for $900.

I use a macbook :^)

Seriously though, if you want to be able to do actual work related things, macs are most useful. 

• Like 1

Tbh id pick the asus one, best gaming laptop out there atm.

Yeah, I'm leaning towards the ASUS one because its the cheapest

Lenovo Y700. Fantastic laptop, I use one.

Quad core Skylake i7, 960M, 12 gb ddr4, 128 gb add, 2 tb Usd. A steal for $900.

that looks like its closer to $1000 unless I'm looking at the wrong one: https://www.amazon.com/Lenovo-i7-6700HQ-GeForce-Windows-80NV00W4US/dp/B01LNOECNW/ref=sr_1_2?s=pc&ie=UTF8&qid=1496020366&sr=1-2&keywords=lenovo+y700

Seriously though, if you want to be able to do actual work related things, macs are most useful. 

I got rid of my mac this year after using it for the first two years of college because it was like 6 yrs old, I'm not getting another one because I want to avoid using work and am far away from my desktop during the school year, and also cad

Yeah, I'm leaning towards the ASUS one because its the cheapest

that looks like its closer to $1000 unless I'm looking at the wrong one: https://www.amazon.com/Lenovo-i7-6700HQ-GeForce-Windows-80NV00W4US/dp/B01LNOECNW/ref=sr_1_2?s=pc&ie=UTF8&qid=1496020366&sr=1-2&keywords=lenovo+y700

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/used/1293591/?c3api=1876%2C72118895162%2C&gclid=CjsKDwjw6qnJBRDpoonDwLSeZhIkAIpTR8JjQBtyiFxzUxgDGY7f2jvjon5wr2vRoTE9OQrAeVleGgKmDPD_BwE

Certified Preowned $820.

Other than that, yeah you're right. They were cheaper around Christmas time I guess.

I was one of those people that vowed never to get a Mac. I got a new MBP this year after my old laptop died and I must say, it'll be hard to ever go back. For work-related things (especially software work) it's far more enjoyable than my Windows PCs are/were.

I was one of those people that vowed never to get a Mac. I got a new MBP this year after my old laptop died and I must say, it'll be hard to ever go back. For work-related things (especially software work) it's far more enjoyable than my Windows PCs are/were.

I got rid of my mac this year after using it for the first two years of college because it was like 6 yrs old, I'm not getting another one because I want to avoid using work and am far away from my desktop during the school year, and also cad

I'm not getting a mac, I got rid of my mac and I could get a $200 windows laptop with the same capabilities if I needed a short-term replacement. I'm looking for a laptop to be a long term replacement to my desktop since I won't be visiting home as much when I get out of college.

I'm not getting a mac, I got rid of my mac and I could get a $200 windows laptop with the same capabilities if I needed a short-term replacement. I'm looking for a laptop to be a long term replacement to my desktop since I won't be visiting home as much when I get out of college.

I'd love to see any evidence for this, and Macs are quite long-lasting.

However if you don't want a Mac then more power to you, I'm sure others will be able to help you find something you're looking for.

I'd love to see any evidence for this, and Macs are quite long-lasting.

However if you don't want a Mac then more power to you, I'm sure others will be able to help you find something you're looking for.

I mean, I don't have any evidence other than that I ditched my 6 year old macbook halfway through the year and bought the cheapest laptop I could find on amazon as a stopgap and it worked to the same capacity. Macs are well made and very durable (proven by the fact that I still had a 6 yr old macbook), and I don't want this thread to turn into some stupid mac vs pc shitfest. Both have benefits and deficiencies, but a mac just doesn't fit into what I'm looking for.

Captain here,

The best solution for what your problem is this:

Build a desktop for $700 (Gaming and rendering)

Buy a Chromebook for $200 or cheaper (Work only!)

Here me out, I know you're going to say "Ew $200 is trash wtf it so slow!!" but we have to take into account that

Chromebooks don't run super bulky Operating Systems like Windows. They run Chrome OS, a very minor Linux Distrobution.

Due to this lightweight OS Chromebooks are an EXCELLENT and very bang for the buck choice for school. With the built-in

Google Drive capabilities (I would kill for that on Windows :c) and the surprisingly quick boot up and load times for application

make this actually worth your time.

Think of it this way, a stupid $900 laptop would get CRUSHED compared to a $700 desktop, and this is because of the difference

between mobile and desktop grade parts. That GTX 980M you see there in the laptops is NOTHING compared to a desktop 980. Your $700

will outperform any of those laptops by a landslide. Then when you need to go to classes, just bring your chromebook with ridicilously

long battery life with you. gSuite (Google Suite) has everything you will ever need in class and is much better in comparison to

Microsoft's Office365 lineup.

Do some more research and take this solution into consideration. Trust me on this one, you don't want a $900 Windows laptop that you

have to replace next year. For a chromebook, throw it at a brick wall, it'll be perfectly fine and you wont really need or want a new

one unless your specfically looking for an upgrade hardware-wise.

Contact me some time if you need help or want to go with this solution, thanks.