Suggesters Etiquette

Woifi The Viking

I care about Backpack.tf's image, that's why our rules and Price Suggestions should be logical and transparent, not only to people from our community but also to outsiders.

But what if your first contact with Price Suggestions is people dropping your item by a good amount and when you try to defend it you get remarks about having no idea how any of this works?

This guide is aimed at you Price Suggesters, it should be a reminder that not everyone visiting Suggestions is familiar with the rules or our pricing guides.

• Be friendly: Even if the other party is not friendly, starting a flame war is not the way to go (and against the rules), try to respond cool and collected.
  • Be respectful: Towards other people, and towards their items. If you start a suggestion with: "This piece of shit hat cancer deserves a huge drop LOL" then that doesn't look good.
  • Try to think from the other persons perspectiveYou know all the rules and twists already, they most likely don't, try to educate them without acting elitist.
  • Don't use suggestions as a tool for revenge or targeting a specific userWhile not against the rule per se it's not something I like to see. Again it puts you and Bp.tf in a bad light. Be subtle and avoid if possible. Even if it's not your intention don't be surprised when they call you out on it. On the other hand don't jump to conclusions and accusations too hasty, sometimes when people do a mini train they end up updating a couple hats from the same person.
  • Don't raise your own items all the timeIf most of your suggestions are raising your own items that doesn't look good either to many outside people. Especially if you start them with "Manipulation, Owns 1 8D". Especially if those Suggestions are wrong cause you didn't check for other sales.
  • Don't be super lazy: Just posting a link to a closed Suggestion, or copy pasting without bothering to fix wrong numbers or sales, or doing really poor research also doesn't paint you or the site in a good picture. Also try to give your Suggestions some format so that outside people can understand them better.
  • Give others credit and don't counter too early: If someone spends their time making a suggestion (even if it might not be perfect) or posting links in the forums, the least you can do is credit them for their work. Also give people a couple hours to resuggest. And remember, maybe you dont care yourself if other people counter your suggestion or "steal" your proof, but others might very well care.

These are not a new set of rules or anything, it's just something I want you guys to pay attention to, and maybe try to consider more because you are interested in Backpack.tfs image as well. Especially experienced Suggesters should set an example for new one. If there is anything else you wanna add to this or discuss feel free to leave a comment.

Would also like to add a few notes.

• Don't leave unnecessary comments. I often have people commenting 'lel hat so overpriced xd good drop imma buy xd' and it's just really unnecessary in my opinion.
  • Format. I think it's easier to read through suggestions where all the sales have proper calculations instead of a sale including multiple hats and the suggester just saying '120' and go figure out the rest by yourself. I think a summary or a final conclusion about why you picked a certain range is also very handy. Make some spaces between sales, tell the hats involved and their values (or mini's) and make a proper lay out.

Added another point about crediting others and letting them resuggest. Some people care a lot about that even if you don't.

Also regarding using your own sales: If you mostly raise your own items it will never look good to an outsider, I'm just sheding light on that. If you are pricing unpriced items it shouldn't matter as much or if you are also dropping your own items at the same time.

• Like 3

• 4 years later...

Suggestion Layouts.

In light of our recent new rule implementation we would like to add additional information to the etiquette regarding suggestion layouts. 
The rule basically comes down to us not allowing single-link suggestions with no explanation or such. In this part we'd like to give you a generic example of what you could consider a good layout. Ofcourse this is not set in stone and you're free to use your own layout.

------

Example of a good layout:

[Insert name of item]

Item History #1: (item history link)

Sale #1:
(compare link 1)
(compare link 2)
Sold for X .... and X .... etc. This makes the sale X keys.

Sale #2: 
(compare link 1)
(compare link 2)
(any other kind of evidence that could help, like a gladiator.tf screenshot)

Item History #2: (item history link)

Sale #1:
(compare link 1)
(compare link 2)

Cash sales:

(marketplace / mannco / scm link)
Sold for X which equals X keys. 

Conclusion

Sales: X / Y / Z
Current sellers: X / Y
(insert screenshot of current listings)

Based on [evidence/sellers/conclusion etc) going with X-Y keys. 

----------

By implementing a proper layout for your unusual price suggestions, you will make it easier for yourself to have a good overview of your suggestion and the evidence you've submitted. You're less likely to make mistakes. You'll also have an easier time coming to the conclusion and deciding what range to apply. On top of that, a proper layout will also make the suggestions easier for mods to review. All in all I hope this helps with making a good layout for your price suggestions!

If you have any questions related to suggestions or this post you're always free to join the backpack.tf discord or the suggestion squad discord.  

• Like 2

• Erik pinned this topic