Your age:

Your geographical location:

Seattle metropolitan area, USA

How long have you been using backpack.tf:

As a contributor, 3 years at the end of this month

Time you are able to devote to moderation on a daily/weekly basis:

2-3 hours a day on average

Why you want to be a moderator?

Because I care about the site, and I think I have what it takes to help keep everything running smoothly.

Initially, my goal on backpack.tf was to price unpriced hats, because I felt that need was not being met. For just over two years now though, I've been much more focused on reviewing unusual suggestions and providing useful feedback. I had noticed that not enough people were actually putting in the time to do this with suggestions posted by more experienced suggesters in particular, and that the tendency to blindvote would lead meaningful but preventable mistakes to go unnoticed. I've continued in this endeavor with no notable absences for the entirety of the time since, and have also contributed suggestions and submitted reports on a regular basis as well.

I realize that on a surface level I'm someone who has been here for three years, has only made it to purple belt in that time, and is applying for moderator without significant experience in god-tiers or ANY experience in non-unusual items. However, I'm hopeful that after the amount of time I've dedicated to the site, people can look past the surface level. You don't rank up your belt for correcting suggestions, nor do you accumulate rep for reports submitted. But if you post unusual suggestions on a regular basis, I trust you've probably met me already. If not, or if you're fairly new and want some context for how long I've been working towards this, here you go:

Are you currently an admin/mod elsewhere?

No

Past experiences as an admin/mod:

None

Have you ever been trade banned or tagged as a scammer on steamrep?

No

Include any additional information that could help you:

Well, I guess first of all Polar asked if I would be interested in applying. My original plan was to keep doing what I've been doing, finish my slow grind to black belt, and apply then. But since Polar's stepping down at the end of the month, the site needs new mods now more than later, and I'll probably be best equipped for it if I can get training from Polar before he leaves anyhow.

On top of everything I've already stated, I've also invested time in teaching anyone who had any interest in learning from me about unusual suggestions, most notably Surz back in the day. I respect people who have a desire to learn and improve, and am happy to work with them as much as time allows.

Include a link to your backpack.tf profile:

So that's it then. If you have any constructive criticisms for my application, leave a comment!

• Woifilicious, polar, Kevin the Chicken God and 9 others like this
Posted Image

#2 polar

polar

The Butt Kind of Bear

• Administrators
  • 1,887 posts
  • LocationEST

Posted 08 May 2017 - 11:47 AM

I don't think anything needs to be said here other than that you need to work on your perfectionism :P That's also something I tell Woifi all the time.

• Woifilicious, ḎℰѦÐ! Boom, Marty Birdman and 2 others like this

Verbosity obfuscates.

#3 TheMCBros99

TheMCBros99

Mann Co, not MineCraft

• Donators
  • 567 posts
  • LocationSkilidi dong dong dong dang

Posted 08 May 2017 - 12:06 PM

Don't really know you or have seen you, but besides that if polar asked you to apply you must be decent
0 for right now
rNLOBEg.png

#4 Lila Mond

Lila Mond

Advanced Member

• Donators
  • 87 posts

Posted 08 May 2017 - 12:23 PM

This is like the only suggester I actually will admit to blind upvote. +1 from me.

• Marty Birdman, Apo, SpotlightR and 1 other like this

#5 Gent♥

Gent♥

Sure, my Dad wants to rule the world

• Donators
  • 1,735 posts
  • Twitter:I am magnetically
  • Facebook:drawing my death to me
  • Youtube:reverse polarity

Posted 08 May 2017 - 12:34 PM

Polar totally hurting my feelings with these pre-approved candidates that aren't me </3
I kid Polar bby you know I do

I have the same "issue-that's-not-an-issue" that I did with K1ng applying. While I don't doubt the quality of your suggestions, your quantity given the length of time you've been here is kinda low, and it's gonna be pretty intense getting you up to mod standard and speed of working. But I have no doubt the mod training can take care of that, as long as you're committed. And I'll be the first to admit my standards in that regard are probably higher than most to be fair, too :P

And as a person you seem fine ;)

• Marty Birdman, K1ng and =TNW= Maximus™ like this
Posted Image
Let it ride.

#6 Happysedits

Happysedits

https://media.tenor.co/videos/c3e098ee0adabce1a7ead18cf306f2a5/m

• Donators
  • 1,254 posts
  • Youtube:https://www.youtube.com/user/happysedits
  • LocationCzech republic

Posted 08 May 2017 - 12:52 PM

Blind upvoted probably every suggestion you've ever done, seems good from my side, +1

• Marty Birdman likes this

https://www.youtube....ser/happysedits

http://backpack.tf/v...a8d88c716a94a51 http://backpack.tf/v...8d88510af41d11 

eoNxuqR.png

♥ Fennec 12 hours ago  
With your "suggestion" up, it's now going to be impossible to buy for a reasonable price. Better watch your ass, lapdog. You are now being hunted.

(listen to the full song for full experience im no weeb forsenE )

http://image.prntscr...d1d708087d6.png

#7 FishtheFish

FishtheFish

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 346 posts
  • LocationUS West

Posted 08 May 2017 - 01:32 PM

Your suggestion corrections and backlog work are superfluous. I see no objections.

• Marty Birdman and Lila Mond like this

#8 Marty Birdman

Marty Birdman

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 57 posts

Posted 08 May 2017 - 01:37 PM

This is like the only suggester I actually will admit to blind upvote. +1 from me.

Blind upvoted probably every suggestion you've ever done, seems good from my side, +1

No more free rep! Thank you both, though.

• Happysedits likes this
Posted Image

#9 Marty Birdman

Marty Birdman

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 57 posts

Posted 08 May 2017 - 01:45 PM

Polar totally hurting my feelings with these pre-approved candidates that aren't me </3
I kid Polar bby you know I do

I have the same "issue-that's-not-an-issue" that I did with K1ng applying. While I don't doubt the quality of your suggestions, your quantity given the length of time you've been here is kinda low, and it's gonna be pretty intense getting you up to mod standard and speed of working. But I have no doubt the mod training can take care of that, as long as you're committed. And I'll be the first to admit my standards in that regard are probably higher than most to be fair, too :P

And as a person you seem fine ;)

I actually really agree with you. Polar alluded to it above, but I'm a perfectionist, and I need to ease up on it. I think I've proven that I can pick something apart when I need to, but I'll need to up my speed and efficiency with most of what I review. Having a clear goal like that really helps me focus, so I think I'm up to it. Thank you for your feedback!

Posted Image

#10 Moose

Moose

Advanced Member

• Donators
  • 78 posts
  • Website URL:http://www.totallylegitwebsitethatisntownedbymooseatalltrustme.com
  • Twitter:I don't twitter :o
  • Youtube:Moose
  • Twitch:Moose778
  • LocationStraya

Posted 08 May 2017 - 02:46 PM

Easily a +1 from me. I always see you doing backlogging and helping other users, including myself. Good luck ^-^

#11 Foamy the Fearsome

Foamy the Fearsome

Guppy the Moonsome

• Moderators
  • 437 posts
  • Website URL:http://Im not cool enough to have a website dedicated to myself
  • Twitter:Nope.
  • Facebook:May add this later
  • Youtube:Foamy
  • Twitch:Foamy_the_Fearsome
  • LocationThat country surrounding Amsterdam

Posted 08 May 2017 - 03:11 PM

I definitely think you should be able to work around the perfectionism/completionism once you get on the team. I've experienced it as well myself; I used to be extremely thorough in the suggestions I made, and sometimes still am when I am handling suggestions, but I've also quickly picked up on increased efficiency, and I'm confident you will be able to as well.

On the other hand, while it may cost a bit of efficiency, I do not think its necessarily a bad thing to have more thorough people on the team as well, as long as you will be able to spot suggestions that do not require much further research, so that you can handle them swiftly.

I don't really have any issues here; the only thing that could be seen as a potential problem would be your time devotion (based on previous experiences, that is), but if you can and will devote time as indicated above, that will definitely not be an issue. As for the seemingly low suggestion volume: that does not really bother me. Most of your suggestions are easy to handle because they're "safe bets" so to say (i.e they usually contain the only recent sale, which was full pure or buyout capped without a doubt). I think so far I've only had you resuggest (or close) one suggestion in a time frame of well over a year in which I've been a moderator myself.  However, it's not so much your suggestions, but the comments on other's suggestions that convince me you're a great candidate here. As long as I can remember, you've basicly already done moderator's work when browsing through suggestions, supported by the many examples listed above. That is currently how I spend most of my moderating time and effort as well.

All in all I think you will be a fine addition to the team. I've heard it mentioned that you may also be able to help out with reports, which - if indeed the case - would make your versatility a favorable trait as well!

• Mindacos, Marty Birdman, JoXu ツ and 5 others like this

BZsWlUn.png

#12 Marty Birdman

Marty Birdman

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 57 posts

Posted 08 May 2017 - 03:53 PM

I definitely think you should be able to work around the perfectionism/completionism once you get on the team. I've experienced it as well myself; I used to be extremely thorough in the suggestions I made, and sometimes still am when I am handling suggestions, but I've also quickly picked up on increased efficiency, and I'm confident you will be able to as well.

On the other hand, while it may cost a bit of efficiency, I do not think its necessarily a bad thing to have more thorough people on the team as well, as long as you will be able to spot suggestions that do not require much further research, so that you can handle them swiftly.

I don't really have any issues here; the only thing that could be seen as a potential problem would be your time devotion (based on previous experiences, that is), but if you can and will devote time as indicated above, that will definitely not be an issue. As for the seemingly low suggestion volume: that does not really bother me. Most of your suggestions are easy to handle because they're "safe bets" so to say (i.e they usually contain the only recent sale, which was full pure or buyout capped without a doubt). I think so far I've only had you resuggest (or close) one suggestion in a time frame of well over a year in which I've been a moderator myself.  However, it's not so much your suggestions, but the comments on other's suggestions that convince me you're a great candidate here. As long as I can remember, you've basicly already done moderator's work when browsing through suggestions, supported by the many examples listed above. That is currently how I spend most of my moderating time and effort as well.

All in all I think you will be a fine addition to the team. I've heard it mentioned that you may also be able to help out with reports, which - if indeed the case - would make your versatility a favorable trait as well!

Thank you for your support! I think your comments about me are spot-on. I hope I can add something to the diversity of the team, and I do intend to make myself available to work on reports as soon as I'm acclimated to working on pricing.

• Happysedits likes this
Posted Image

#13 =TNW= Maximus™

=TNW= Maximus™

Advanced Member

• Donators
  • 395 posts
  • LocationNYC Area

Posted 08 May 2017 - 06:31 PM

This^^

Your suggestions are very high quality, but I'm not sure if you'll be able to keep up with the sheer amount of suggestions. 

1c94cbf8eb.png

#14 Xergoyf

Xergoyf

Advanced Member

• Premium
  • 35 posts

Posted 08 May 2017 - 08:32 PM

+1 from me. Looking at your suggestions you might be a bit suspect (just reporting pure sales) but your always super helpful; fixing other's suggestions and going through the backlog. I have no doubt in your ability to handle harder suggestions either. You basically already do a mod's work, so being a mod yourself seems like a no-brainer. 

#15 TheProcave

TheProcave

The Lonely Cave Resident

• Donators
  • 1,483 posts
  • LocationSomewhere behind you shooting my portal gun

Posted 08 May 2017 - 10:05 PM

Looks like a +1 from me, I'm willing to admit I have blindvoted you once, but only for good measure!

Anyways, your suggestions look superb and if you team up with k1ng for the suggestions....

Well I will not have to vote on 40 pages of suggestions anymore.

+1.

My Youtube :P

otihnQt.png-Drunk saturdays on the bp.tf discord.

#16 unstopaBULLY

unstopaBULLY

Advanced Member

• Donators
  • 249 posts

Posted 10 May 2017 - 05:22 AM

Never talked to your or knew you, but I've seen your suggestions and they are top notch with great quality and content.

+1 on this application.

I would put a math joke here but I have too solve some problems first.

#17 Marty Birdman

Marty Birdman

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 57 posts

Posted 10 May 2017 - 06:50 AM

This^^

Your suggestions are very high quality, but I'm not sure if you'll be able to keep up with the sheer amount of suggestions. 

I think the most important thing to consider is that the current mod team is aware of how much work they're losing with Polar departing, and are planning accordingly to divide it between multiple new moderators at once. I've been given a pretty good estimate of how much I'll need to be able to do on a daily basis, and I think it's definitely achievable for me. It's always going to be a team effort at the end of the day, not the whole site on my shoulders alone.

Posted Image

#18 =TNW= Maximus™

=TNW= Maximus™

Advanced Member

• Donators
  • 395 posts
  • LocationNYC Area

Posted 10 May 2017 - 07:49 AM

I think the most important thing to consider is that the current mod team is aware of how much work they're losing with Polar departing, and are planning accordingly to divide it between multiple new moderators at once. I've been given a pretty good estimate of how much I'll need to be able to do on a daily basis, and I think it's definitely achievable for me. It's always going to be a team effort at the end of the day, not the whole site on my shoulders alone.

That's very true. I didn't really think of that... I guess the more mods we have, the better

1c94cbf8eb.png

#19 Teeny Tiny Cat

Teeny Tiny Cat

Though she be but little, she is fierce.

• Administrators
  • 1,883 posts
  • Website URL:http://teenyisameanie.tf
  • Locationup yr butt

Posted 10 May 2017 - 07:53 AM

That's very true. I didn't really think of that... I guess the more mods we have, the better

Basically this. I'd prefer to have a few new mods who will be great even if they can't promise a ton of activity. I don't want a new polar (no offense polar) I want loads of new cashews or foamies or mindacoses or randies. We don't want to be relying on one person to handle 30% of suggestions, we want a larger team who splits the workload.
  • puddingkip, Mindacos, Marty Birdman and 5 others like this

#20 TheProcave

TheProcave

The Lonely Cave Resident

• Donators
  • 1,483 posts
  • LocationSomewhere behind you shooting my portal gun

Posted 10 May 2017 - 10:26 AM

Basically this. I'd prefer to have a few new mods who will be great even if they can't promise a ton of activity. I don't want a new polar (no offense polar) I want loads of new cashews or foamies or mindacoses or randies. We don't want to be relying on one person to handle 30% of suggestions, we want a larger team who splits the workload.

Huh, never thought about the moderation team in that way, guess I'm pretty naïve.

But now I see who Teeny wants more of.

My Youtube :P

otihnQt.png-Drunk saturdays on the bp.tf discord.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users