5% vote suggestion rule

Anyar

There is was a cosmetic that could use a price update, but the new price would only be about a 4% difference, and apparently, there's a 5% suggestion rule around here for price changes.

However, on another price suggestion, someone wrote, "It's close enough to 5%. It's valid." for a price suggestion of around 3.92%.

And the cosmetic I was talking about did actually get a price suggestion, the exact one I was thinking about (but decided against), and it passed.

Here: http://backpack.tf/suggestion/590f1bd90e2cad75516bb036

So what is the 5% rule for?

(sorry if this is the wrong forum for posting, I couldn't find any better ones)

Discussed it with teeny today, she said the 5% rule was implemented to avoid changes like 14.11 to 14.22 when market and SCM is at 20 ref. Those changes are fine because the market is like that.

• Like 1

The 5% rule was made as a guideline. If the change is absolutely needed (if there are 20+ sellers at 4.33 when something is 4.55, that's fine), then go ahead and make a suggestion. Otherwise, it's fine to leave the price as is.

Mindacos autocloses less than 5%, Teeny doesn't

this shouldn't be a thing but it is

super annoying... Either auto close all suggestions less than 5% or use it as a "guideline" but don't do both.. 

Mindacos autocloses less than 5%, Teeny doesn't

this shouldn't be a thing but it is

Yeah Mindacos is a bit stricter than others, not that its a bad thing. But he is.

super annoying... Either auto close all suggestions less than 5% or use it as a "guideline" but don't do both.. 

nvm, probs the change wasnt big enough, i mean 13.33-13.11 idk..

its probs over 10 ref item just 0.22 change not enough

This is starting to tick me off. I understand that the 5% rule is meant to be used as a guideline, but seriously? http://backpack.tf/suggestion/590f961ae3387731ae1e6d52(rejected) - http://backpack.tf/suggestion/590e6ab0c44045471469c7e6 (accepted) 

The example you just provided is exactly why the 5% rule is here to begin with, that was a completely unnecessary change and was well below 5%, 2% even.

If a suggestion presents a change that's less than 5%, it is only accepted if the market overwhelmingly supports said price; the Strange Wrench suggestion had almost two whole pages of sellers at 8.11. The Thirst Blood did not have a proper amount of sellers to support a >2% change.

Take the wrench suggestion and this suggestion right here as core examples of what a valid >5% change should be: http://backpack.tf/suggestion/58d6410cc440455eb90a64b1

But at the same time, drops to say, 18.88 to 18.77 will not be accepted even if there's an overwhelming amount of evidence. Use common sense.

• Like 5

• Administrators

The 5% rule was implemented as a solution to the high volume of entirely pointless buyer raises being made on items that clearly needed more meaningful raises. Like the example happy gave, a 1-2 scrap raise on a 12 refined item when the market is at 20 is absolutely no different than the current price. The change serves no purpose. That isn't always the case.

Some things I look at when assessing these kind of suggestions:

- is it a raise or a drop?

- if it's a drop, how many sellers/unsolds are there? for how long? where are the buyers? 

- if it's a raise, are the buyers successfully buying any?

- where is the rest of the market?

- if it's a raise based on buyers, where are sellers at? 

- where is SCM at?

- where are other sites at?

When making a suggestion that could be closed due to the 5% rule, think to yourself - do I have a rationale for ignoring the rule here? If yes... post it in your suggestion. Non-unusuals are primarily handled by puddington, me, and mindacos so as long as mod discretion is a thing, yes there will be some slight variation in how we each assess a suggestion. You can help yourself by including your argument.

• Like 1

The 5% rule was implemented as a solution to the high volume of entirely pointless buyer raises being made on items that clearly needed more meaningful raises. Like the example happy gave, a 1-2 scrap raise on a 12 refined item when the market is at 20 is absolutely no different than the current price. The change serves no purpose. That isn't always the case.

Some things I look at when assessing these kind of suggestions:

- is it a raise or a drop?

- if it's a drop, how many sellers/unsolds are there? for how long? where are the buyers? 

- if it's a raise, are the buyers successfully buying any?

- where is the rest of the market?

- if it's a raise based on buyers, where are sellers at? 

- where is SCM at?

- where are other sites at?

When making a suggestion that could be closed due to the 5% rule, think to yourself - do I have a rationale for ignoring the rule here? If yes... post it in your suggestion. Non-unusuals are primarily handled by puddington, me, and mindacos so as long as mod discretion is a thing, yes there will be some slight variation in how we each assess a suggestion. You can help yourself by including your argument.

Alright, so was that Strange Camera Beard suggestion ok? 

• 2 weeks later...

This is starting to tick me off. I understand that the 5% rule is meant to be used as a guideline, but seriously? http://backpack.tf/suggestion/590f961ae3387731ae1e6d52(rejected) http://backpack.tf/suggestion/590e6ab0c44045471469c7e6 (accepted) 

Well... The accepted one had more sellers and it's pretty obvious... Minda is more strict on the 5% than the other mods excluding Pudd that doesn't even care about that rule