"Artificially" Changing unusual prices

Pls no

I haven't used bp.tf forums before so I don't know exactly where this would go under so forgive me if this is the wrong place.

I've gotten back into unusual trading after a year or so and I want to know if changing the prices of unusuals 'artificially' is acceptable/respectable. I offered my unusual + some keys on a certain unpriced unusual and the seller priced my unusual lower than it's bp.tf value, which is understandable. so I added some more keys and he said my offer was still too low. I would have been fine with that if he didn't come back an hour after he declined my offer and mentioned my unusual was getting a price suggestion to lower it. I then checked the price suggestion and the suggester said in the notes requested by 'seller'. It also just so happened to be created at the same time the seller told me my unusual was getting a price suggestion.

Now I don't know if this is common in the unusual trading scene, or if it's some malpractice within the community. I just found it very shady that the seller was trying to get me to offer more than what I did by having someone open a price suggestion to lower my unusual. I also didn't want to call out the seller because I don't want to ruin his reputation but if there's a demand for evidence I will provide it.

I haven't used bp.tf forums before so I don't know exactly where this would go under so forgive me if this is the wrong place.

I've gotten back into unusual trading after a year or so and I want to know if changing the prices of unusuals 'artificially' is acceptable/respectable. I offered my unusual + some keys on a certain unpriced unusual and the seller priced my unusual lower than it's bp.tf value, which is understandable. so I added some more keys and he said my offer was still too low. I would have been fine with that if he didn't come back an hour after he declined my offer and mentioned my unusual was getting a price suggestion to lower it. I then checked the price suggestion and the suggester said in the notes requested by 'seller'. It also just so happened to be created at the same time the seller told me my unusual was getting a price suggestion.

Now I don't know if this is common in the unusual trading scene, or if it's some malpractice within the community. I just found it very shady that the seller was trying to get me to offer more than what I did by having someone open a price suggestion to lower my unusual. I also didn't want to call out the seller because I don't want to ruin his reputation but if there's a demand for evidence I will provide it.

a lot of unusuals have outdated prices on bptf so it's not out of the realm of reason that your unusual is priced higher than it's actual/current value.  all you gotta do is check and see if the suggestion has valid/legitimate proof though

Suggestions just show a more accurate price / most common trading point. If it gets lowered then its probably because it often gets sold for lower than the current price, therefor that price is inaccurate

There's definately enough proof in that suggestion to warrant a drop, but since the guy requested it, I'll have to file that under "not cool bro"

You just have to move on I'm afraid.

I don't think it's technically malpractice but it's a dick move to be frank, and while your hat did need a change I (And a lot of others) certainly look down on that sort of thing. Just because someone coudn't get a trade done, or didn't like someone's offer doesnt' mean they have to lower the price of the hat. 

There's no such thing as "artificially" lowering a price. To suggest so is to demonstrate a complete lack of understanding of how price suggestions work.

Suggestions are based on sales, and sellers. And that's it. A price on backpack.tf can only be lowered if the item is selling for less than its bp.tf value, or sellers are asking for less than its bp.tf value. Sure updating a particular unusual can be used to manipulate naive people who don't understand this system and follow bp.tf prices blindly, but that's all.

There's no such thing as "artificially" lowering a price. To suggest so is to demonstrate a complete lack of understanding of how price suggestions work.

Suggestions are based on sales, and sellers. And that's it. A price on backpack.tf can only be lowered if the item is selling for less than its bp.tf value, or sellers are asking for less than its bp.tf value. Sure updating a particular unusual can be used to manipulate naive people who don't understand this system and follow bp.tf prices blindly, but that's all.

You'd be surprised the number of people that don't know this. They literally think backpack will set the prices of everything automatically.

I'd like to update this thread since there's two things. I knew my unusual needed a price change, I was just suspicious that soon after negotiation my unusual got a price change that was recommended by the seller. Second, I think the seller saw this because when I got on, they sent a trade offer.