Adding Ref Sinks to TF2, I need your help!

TheVirtualEconomist

What about a weapon reskinner?

Say a person got the weapon they wanted in the quality they wanted, but didn't quite like how the pattern lined up. Instead of trying to find another copy of the weapon that they like more, they could spend a few refined to get the pattern reapplied. And if they still don't like the pattern, spend a bit more for another attempt.

They could also use refined in the trade up feature. Like lower the items required by 1-2, but make it include a smelting tax of some refined instead.

• Like 3

A neat idea I had is having Craftable weapon and Hat skins.

For the weapon skins it (in my opinion) should work like this

You craft the pattern and then apply it to the respective weapon.

The pattern is not tradable but the weapon it's applied to is.

Finally, the pattern must be removable.

A trade-up feature could also be included but make it exclusively for the patterns and not the weapons they're applied to.

The hat skins would work differently. considering how a lot of artists redesigned their hats 2 years ago (for better and for worse) a craftable hat skin system allows artists to create new textures and models for hats but allowing the users to choose (even if they have to craft it to unlock the extra styles). The Hat Skins/Patterns shouldn't be tradable and are locked to the account that crafted them, essentially, the skin will appear as a new style of the hat whenever the user has the hat.

Hat skins, however, will cost a TON of refined metal and requires trade up in order to acquire the higher ranked skins.

What this would do is increase interest in certain hats, take the Glengarry Bonnet. If Valve released a craftable Hat Skin that swapped the paint region of the hat, then more people would be interested in buying the hat, thus potentially increasing the price of the hat in normal and unusual form.

• 1 year later...

Here is my idea:

A new Bronze War Paint can be crafted with 10 refined. The wear is random. There is a 1% chance that the war paint will be strange. There is a 0.01% chance the war paint will be unusual.

A new Silver War Paint can be obtained by trading up 10 Bronze War Paints. The traded up skin will be the lowest wear and quality that was used in the trade up.

A new Gold War Paint can be obtained by trading up 10 Silver War Paints. Same wear and quality thing as the Silver War Paint.

So you will need 1,000 ref to get a Gold War Paint regardless of wear and quality. If you want a Strange Gold War Paint then you will need, on average, 100,000 ref and you get the idea for Factory New and Unusual Gold War Paints.

The low wear War Paints and all Bronze War Paints will probably be worth around 1 ref due to how many of them would exist if people are interested in crafting these. I think people will be interested in crafting and trading up these skins as Factory New Strange Unusual Gold War Paints would be very rare as you would need 100 Bronze War Paints of the same wear and quality to get it so, the  idea of getting a rare skin would intise people the same way crates intise people with the idea of unusuals.

What are your thoughts on this?