Are bots good or bad for the economy?

Doctor Ludwig

Bots are quicksell vendors that immediately deliver goods when a trade offer is sent, and often change their prices to compete with other bots and other human vendors. This allows people to quickly trade, sell, and buy items without the wait or hassle of a human trader. However, this leads to the problem of the economy. They lead to overpricing of the currency, or most likely underpricing which leads to inflation as each key and ref become less and less worthwhile, much like what happened with the bud.

So I wonder what you all think, are bots good or bad for TF2's economy?

I think they're a good thing for the market itself as they reflect the market better, but not for individuals looking for profit. 

They are a great option when you just need fast pure or just want to buy any item instantly. However because of this, small traders rarely receive offers for their items.

the problem with trade bots is that even if a normal person would offer more on a item then any tradebots.

the item still go to the trade bots most of the time since convenience seems to be more wanted then 1 ref more on lets say a 8 ref item.

its not the problem of the trade bot it self but more of the consumer.

a other thing that bots cause are that they can prevent a item from raising in price since it's price is set in stone because of the way it got programmed. 

To be able to sell your item in a flash is quite a change since now people are willing to go even lower for discounts just to get pure, thus now all of a sudden all these drops and increases is the result of all these bots flooding, competing, and cutting each other on classies. Scrap.tf also kinda ruined scrap to unusuals since now you can just 1:1 for any weapon and at the same time, big items like unusuals now have bots that demand an insane discount but in exchange for instant pure. The problem is that people now rely on bots so often, that the dependability is ruining traders who actually want to compete with these bots.

• Like 3

To be able to sell your item in a flash is quite a change since now people are willing to go even lower for discounts just to get pure, thus now all of a sudden all these drops and increases is the result of all these bots flooding, competing, and cutting each other on classies. Scrap.tf also kinda ruined scrap to unusuals since now you can just 1:1 for any weapon and at the same time, big items like unusuals now have bots that demand an insane discount but in exchange for instant pure. The problem is that people now rely on bots so often, that the dependability is ruining traders who actually want to compete with these bots.

this.

also it kinda create a stage for a small percent of the poeple to have almost all the stuff rather then distributed more fairly since its kinda tough to compete with bots :( not that i hate the idea of only a smal percent of the poeple have alot. but just not this way that you have to fight with a programm.

• Like 1

I think bots are good for the economy. Allows for trade to be faster and makes it easier for people to get things like keys. A lot of what has been said is how I feel but I wanted to add that by having bots, it allows people to always sell which is useful. Being said, I think something like the backpack auto bot is great.

• Like 1

if you need to blame bots because you dont know how market, supply and demands works , quit trading and go play for fun

• Like 3

if you need to blame bots because you dont know how market, supply and demands works , quit trading and go play for fun

then explain how the "market" works since you seem to know alot about it.

• Like 2

All I did was ask a question

Your assumption that I blame the bots for the issues with the economy having anything to do with my market knowledge is absurd and illogical.

Summon Spirit, the destroyer of economies

Thank you...

I have said this many times before... and might as well again. "Bots will ruin TF2 Trading"

I am only in Tf2 Trading to prove a point. People have not been listening, and they wont.

I wont be getting into anything deep onto here again. There is no point in wasting my time.

If you want a direct discussion or meeting, feel free to add me.

A question like this has been raised before and my response would be similar...

(please note the question in the other topic is not in any way the same, only my response is similar, and worth a read)

http://forums.backpack.tf/index.php?/topic/54194-are-bots-really-worth-it/?p=547501

PS: Cant wait for keys to be useless ;)

Thank you...

I have said this many times before... and might as well again. "Bots will ruin TF2 Trading"

I am only in Tf2 Trading to prove a point. People have not been listening, and they wont.

I wont be getting into anything deep onto here again. There is no point in wasting my time.

If you want a direct discussion or meeting, feel free to add me.

A question like this has been raised before and my response would be similar...

(please note the question in the other topic is not in any way the same, only my response is similar, and worth a read)

http://forums.backpack.tf/index.php?/topic/54194-are-bots-really-worth-it/?p=547501

PS: Cant wait for keys to be useless ;)

The concept of a bot in and of itself is neither a good nor bad thing, in fact I believe the functionality of convenience is great. Further pondering brings something else to the table, if they keep adjusting prices to match each other,wouldn't it keep going down? Picture a ball, you bounce it against the top of a ledge, and it bounces off up, and then back down to a lower point, and then lower, and you get the point.

the problem with trade bots is that even if a normal person would offer more on a item then any tradebots.

the item still go to the trade bots most of the time since convenience seems to be more wanted then 1 ref more on lets say a 8 ref item.

its not the problem of the trade bot it self but more of the consumer.

a other thing that bots cause are that they can prevent a item from raising in price since it's price is set in stone because of the way it got programmed.

The prices are not quite set in a stone - bots follow either their own API or bp.tf's or trade.tf's so if prices manage to change there bots will quickly adjust

The prices are not quite set in a stone - bots follow either their own API or bp.tf's or trade.tf's so if prices manage to change there bots will quickly adjust

but thats the problem if prices change.

the way bots are buying for example a hat for 1 ref and selling for 1.11 prevent some items from raising in price since the bots are programmed to keep  those prices it seems. and because of the flood of ads for the particular item mostly from bots it will pretty much stay at the same price or get lower because again the flood of ads at those price. whithout bots you would have to be lucky and get a near instant trade with someone else or wait for the other person. with bots poeple tend to just quickly sell the item to them and get pure. if bots didnt exist prices would be more diverse because i dont think alot poeple would place ads for buying for 1 ref and selling for 1.11 also ithere wil proberly be less buy and sell orders which wil prevent the flooding of the market and less of a suply would create a item to maintain or rise prices faster then the current situation because of the flooding.

Bots are good and bad at the same time. A lot of people will buy from bots without checking other users who are selling for less. But bots are mainly an easy way of getting the item(s) you need. Such as, ref or a hat etc.

then explain how the "market" works since you seem to know alot about it.

im not here to do it neither i said that i know more about market than anyone else.

All I did was ask a question

Your assumption that I blame the bots for the issues with the economy having anything to do with my market knowledge is absurd and illogical.

Dont take things too serious, im just being ironic with these. We got several posts about "how bots and scrap tf are ruining the economy, tf2 is ded, etc"

Also bots are out there longer than what you may think, trade.tf have "buy order prices" same to outpost with automated process. They exist even before buy orders were added to backpack.tf classifieds.

im not here to do it neither i said that i know more about market than anyone else.

Dont take things too serious, im just being ironic with these. We got several posts about "how bots and scrap tf are ruining the economy, tf2 is ded, etc"

Also bots are out there longer than what you may think, trade.tf have "buy order prices" same to outpost with automated process. They exist even before buy orders were added to backpack.tf classifieds.

but you did kinda say you know more about the market then some of the people here.

"if you need to blame bots because you dont know how market, supply and demands works , quit trading and go play for fun"

thats what you writed.

it basically states that you do know how the market works otherwise you cant say that bots cant be blamed and we don't know how the market works. that why i ask how does the market works to you.

but you did kinda say you know more about the market then some of the people here.

"if you need to blame bots because you dont know how market, supply and demands works , quit trading and go play for fun"

thats what you writed.

it basically states that you do know how the market works otherwise you cant say that bots cant be blamed and we don't know how the market works. that why i ask how does the market works to you.

based on your other comments on these, you still didnt understand the supply and demand thing, i wont waste my time trying to make a point here about something that has been constantly on discussion here and by the end wont change anything, market work like these , bots are a TOOL to the trading process and thats it. Deal with it.

• Like 2

based on your other comments on these, you still didnt understand the supply and demand thing, i wont waste my time trying to make a point here about something that has been constantly on discussion here and by the end wont change anything, market work like these , bots are a TOOL to the trading process and thats it. Deal with it.

its true that bots are a tool used for trading.

but you still didn't say how the market works. if its been said constantly in this discusion then you should have no problem proberly to explain something you stil didn't do. you avoiding the topic right now.

Bots are good and bad at the same time. A lot of people will buy from bots without checking other users who are selling for less. But bots are mainly an easy way of getting the item(s) you need. Such as, ref or a hat etc.

I believe that in order to be good for the economy, there must be a way to keep them in check and allow for better human trading. Either that, or botting must become the soul medium for trading. Otherwise, it will be damaging.