They Always Come Back (Lookout for These Scammers)

Malcolm Black

Hello,

So at the beginning of February, I was added by this individual here: http://steamcommunity.com/id/fr0stq5with his rep being here: http://backpack.tf/trust/76561198061836787

This guy chats me up, saying he wants to buy my Burning Texas Ten Gallon and unusual Rancho/Victory Lap for $600 through Paypal. I told him that back in October, I've been scammed out of my entire backpack and would prefer he go first (story on that here, bottom of the thread: http://forums.backpack.tf/index.php?/topic/57479-possible-new-sc).He agreed, but he wanted to make sure that my items were "clean" first. Unknown to what that meant since I don't trade much, I asked him what he meant. He explained that each item had an unique ID and wanted to make sure my items didn't have duplicate IDs. I thought it was strange, so I bought into it further. He told me to put my two taunts on auction on OPSkins to see if they're marketable a.k.a. to see if they're clean. So I put them up for a ridiculous price so that no one would buy it, and immediately after putting them up for auction, I'm added by an OPSkins "bot" (http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561198181843515, private as you can see). The bot explains that it's an admin on the site and the taunts I put up were duped items and had the same IDs, so he had to take them off the market so he can clean them in a "minute or two long process." He sent me another trade request so that he can "clean" my Gallon and a few other Engineer stranges. I rejected the offer the moment I saw that there was a spelling error in the trade request message. So I checked the other alias of the bot, and surprise, surprise, the bot had actual usernames. So I claimed that I wanted my taunts back. The "bot" agreed and explained that I would get them back after the official Steam admins look into the case. He also said I was going to get community banned for having duped items (which never happened). Then he logged off. I told the original guy, Frost, what happened, and he acted as oblivious (saying "omg wtf? how? i thought, etc.). I saw that he, the "bot," was a mutual friend with Frost, so I just unfriended Frost and left negative rep on his thread. Moments later, I get a message from backpack.tf saying my rep was removed because it wasn't true. So that day, I only lost two taunts; I later replaced the Midnight Whirlwind Rancho loss with an even better effect, Showstopper, and found my Silver Cyclone Victory Lap on the market, which I bought back. 

Unfortunately, the only screenshot I got of this event was the trade requests from the "bot," but there's more

Fast-forward to a few days ago, the SAME GUY adds me and has a conversation with me, either thinking I wouldn't remember him or that he just flat-out doesn't remember me. I wanted to mess with him, thinking I'm totally oblivious. So I told him that I was scammed before and I wanted him to go first (he was offering $800 for practically the same things and more). When he agreed, he suggested a middleman through OPSkins (sound familiar?). Fortunately, I was able to get screenshots of this conversation, and when I pointed out that I remembered his previous experience with me and how he took my negative rep off his thread, he immediately logs off, or basically, unfriends me.

Tldr: Scammer gets a middleman to scam me through OPSkins, I lose two taunts but later replace one and regain the other. Same guy adds me, oblivious and all, and tries to offer more money for the same items. I essentially expose what he's trying to do and logs off.

Fun times.

Enjoy!

Edit: Found out the Frost in the story is a famous impersonator of the actual guy. Again, no knowledge of the trading world.

post-29323-0-83827300-1488184349_thumb.png

post-29323-0-17634700-1488184353_thumb.png

post-29323-0-15927600-1488184356_thumb.png

post-29323-0-10710200-1488184360_thumb.png

Yeah that Frost impersonator seems to be scamming a lot of people lately. Copy paste his steam link into www.steamrep.com and you can check if it's the real guy.

This only refers to a part of your story, but recently I reported a scammer with lots of evidence and screenshots on clean backpack.tf and left a negative trust to warn others, yet a few days later I discover that it has been removed.

Blocking people like these is the only way to go…

"people"

I get adds from these guys all day. They like to add me to see if I'm online, because if I don't respond then they can use my profile in their fake admin lists and expect me not to respond so the fake admin can succeed.

Block him. Also, opskins skins has a confirmation code that is given on the website and sent in the trade offer so always confirm that.

And if you have their malware plugin installed, the site will get rewritten to show a fake confirmation code and trade offer link to their own fake bot.

• Administrators

Moments later, I get a message from backpack.tf saying my rep was removed because it wasn't true. 

You were scammed by an impersonator, this user - http://backpack.tf/u/76561198255964322- but you left neg trust for the real FROST, this user http://backpack.tf/u/76561198061836787

That is why it was removed.

This only refers to a part of your story, but recently I reported a scammer with lots of evidence and screenshots on clean backpack.tf and left a negative trust to warn others, yet a few days later I discover that it has been removed.

Your report and trust was investigated and found to be inaccurate. The "victim" was known scammer, and the accused provided proof of their payment histories showing they received no payments from him.

He added me 3 times...

But you should always check their profile link to backpack.tf or steamrep instead of looking at their profile.  After all, it was a random add...