Nitpick my PC Build

Fenrir

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/n48VZ8

CPU: Intel Core i5-7500 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor  ($196.33 @ OutletPC)
CPU Cooler: be quiet! Pure Rock Slim 35.1 CFM CPU Cooler  ($19.99 @ NCIX US)
Motherboard: *Gigabyte GA-B250M-DS3H Micro ATX LGA1151 Motherboard  ($73.89 @ OutletPC)
Memory: *GeIL EVO POTENZA 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-2133 Memory  ($86.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: *OCZ TRION 150 480GB 2.5" Solid State Drive  ($124.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: *Hitachi Ultrastar 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  ($59.50 @ Amazon)
Video Card: *Gigabyte GeForce GTX 1070 8GB Windforce OC Video Card  ($379.00 @ Jet)
Case: Phanteks ECLIPSE P400S ATX Mid Tower Case  ($84.99 @ NCIX US)
Power Supply: *SeaSonic 520W 80+ Bronze Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply  ($51.89 @ Newegg)
Monitor: Acer GN246HL 24.0" 1920x1080 144Hz Monitor  ($179.99 @ Newegg)
Total: $1257.56
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
*Lowest price parts chosen from parametric criteria
Generated by PCPartPicker 2017-02-23 19:46 EST-0500

Main points are that I'm wondering if CPU will bottleneck the GPU... Also I only really need 1TB of space / but I want a good SSD (any better options)

Pretty good build overall, the 1070 might be bottlenecked by an i5 though, so watch out there.

There was nothing here before, don't worry about it

Do you have any idea if I'm going to need a wireless chip for that Motherboard?

Pretty good build overall, the 1070 might be bottlenecked by an i5 though, so watch out there.

There was nothing here before, don't worry about it

The CPU will not be a bottleneck for a 1070.

Do you have any idea if I'm going to need a wireless chip for that Motherboard?

You'd need a WIFI dongle or WIFI card (PCI or something) if you want to connect to WIFI with that PC. Your motherboard doesn't have built in WIFI.

I don't wanna be the guy that says "wait for Ryzen!!" but I think it would be wise to wait for Ryzen.

Wait for Ryzen!! It may bring prices down!

I don't wanna be the guy that says "wait for Ryzen!!" but I think it would be wise to wait for Ryzen.

Wait for Ryzen!! It may bring prices down!

While I would personally consider waiting for Ryzen, it's worth pointing out, that AMD is launching the R7 CPUs (8c/16t, $330-$500) in the next week or so, but the R5 CPU/s (6c/12t, $250~) isn't expected until the summer-ish, and the R3 CPUs (4c/4t and 4/8t, $130-$200~) aren't expected until sometime after the summer. So, it's possible that prices will drop on the i5, but then again, they may not since there won't be any competition in that price bracket yet.

@Fenrir, the CPU can bottleneck depending on the games you play and you need a PCIE wifi card if you want wifi. 

While I would personally consider waiting for Ryzen, it's worth pointing out, that AMD is launching the R7 CPUs (8c/16t, $330-$500) in the next week or so, but the R5 CPU/s (6c/12t, $250~) isn't expected until the summer-ish, and the R3 CPUs (4c/4t and 4/8t, $130-$200~) aren't expected until sometime after the summer. So, it's possible that prices will drop on the i5, but then again, they may not since there won't be any competition in that price bracket yet.

@Fenrir, the CPU can bottleneck depending on the games you play and you need a PCIE wifi card if you want wifi. 

Actually the 4c/8t are Ryzen 5 and not 3 so that's an i7 competitor for less than the price of the i5 on this list.

How long until Ryzen? Im literally ready to buy parts now, so not really sure if Im going to wait.

​Yeah not waiting until summer. Going to go ahead and pull the trigger on this build. Anybody got a specific Wifi chip they would recommend?

My build is VERY similar to this one, even same monitor stats, but mine is 27" (LOVE the big screen)

Super dank build. 

If you want a wireless card, I can reccommend this one as a semi-cheap one. It literally does it's job perfectly for only $50 bucks. There are some more high end ones for higher prices more near 75-100, but really I'd reccommend this one:

f42010ea6597fb4f6791a239a298c020.png

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833704274&cm_re=tplink_pcie_wifi_card-_-33-704-274-_-Product

Actually the 4c/8t are Ryzen 5 and not 3 so that's an i7 competitor for less than the price of the i5 on this list.

Whoops, I thought the 4c/8t was still an R3 SKU. But either way, it won't be released until around the summer, so there isn't any competition for the 7500 price bracket (yet). 

How long until Ryzen? Im literally ready to buy parts now, so not really sure if Im going to wait.

​Yeah not waiting until summer. Going to go ahead and pull the trigger on this build. Anybody got a specific Wifi chip they would recommend?

I'd at least wait until the first or second week of march, at which point the 8c/16t R7 will launch (at $330-$500 depending on the SKU) and see how Intel responds. Intel may lower prices across the board. Although, I don't personally expect i3/i5 prices to drop -- what I expect to see is the i7 drop to the upper $200s ($250-$280~), the 6800k to drop to around $300, and the 6900k to around $600-$700. That is, of course, all dependent on Ryzen performing well.

Whoops, I thought the 4c/8t was still an R3 SKU. But either way, it won't be released until around the summer, so there isn't any competition for the 7500 price bracket (yet). 

I'd at least wait until the first or second week of march, at which point the 8c/16t R7 will launch (at $330-$500 depending on the SKU) and see how Intel responds. Intel may lower prices across the board. Although, I don't personally expect i3/i5 prices to drop -- what I expect to see is the i7 drop to the upper $200s ($250-$280~), the 6800k to drop to around $300, and the 6900k to around $600-$700. That is, of course, all dependent on Ryzen performing well.

Tbh even the dropped i7 will probably be more than I'd be willing to spend on my CPU (about 80 dollars over), and I'm growing impatient. I think I'm just gonna say screw it and pull the trigger. Or maybe buy everything save the CPU.

Ryzen 7 1700, 1700x & 1800x are scheduled to release on March 3rd. You'd need an AM4 mobo, which is also released on the 3rd. Even if you don't go with AMD I'm sure Intel will drop their prices a hundred bucks or so. If not, then it's only a week+ of waiting. Worth the savings if you ask me.

Ryzen 7 1700, 1700x & 1800x are scheduled to release on March 3rd. You'd need an AM4 mobo, which is also released on the 3rd. Even if you don't go with AMD I'm sure Intel will drop their prices a hundred bucks or so. If not, then it's only a week+ of waiting. Worth the savings if you ask me.

Question is how long past Ryzen will the price drops come (if they ever do). Or at least what would you expect? A week after that, 2 weeks?

Really don't think I will be buying a Ryzen unless I'm really wowed

Question is how long past Ryzen will the price drops come (if they ever do). Or at least what would you expect? A week after that, 2 weeks?

Really don't think I will be buying a Ryzen unless I'm really wowed

Who knows? All I'm sure of is it's going to cause massive competition towards Intel's midrange CPUs, namely i5-i7. All depends on the reviews that come out after launch. If it bombs, Intel won't change their prices. But judging from the benchmarks, it's gonna give the i7 a run for its money.

Who knows? All I'm sure of is it's going to cause massive competition towards Intel's midrange CPUs, namely i5-i7. All depends on the reviews that come out after launch. If it bombs, Intel won't change their prices. But judging from the benchmarks, it's gonna give the i7 a run for its money.

Seeing as the Ryzen is out of my price range and they are only really competing with i7 and not the i5s, Im thinking this doesnt really affect me at all.

Seeing as the Ryzen is out of my price range and they are only really competing with i7 and not the i5s, Im thinking this doesnt really affect me at all.

It wouldn't kill you to wait a week and see how Intel reacts. I doubt it will affect the price of the low-end i5s, but it potentially could. 

AMD only released their "Ryzen 7" CPU's so far. I would guess "Ryzen 5" (competing with i5s, will be hexacores) and ryzen 3 (competing with i3s, will be quadcores).

AMD only released their "Ryzen 7" CPU's so far. I would guess "Ryzen 5" (competing with i5s, will be hexacores) and ryzen 3 (competing with i3s, will be quadcores).

R5 is 6c/12t and is launching sometime around the summer and R3 is 4c/4t and4c/8t and is launching sometime after the summer. So for now, there is only the 8c/16t variants priced at $330-$500 (whether the $330 one is a power limited/clockspeed limited compared to the $500 variant or if they're basically binned the same and the only difference is their base clock is unknown -- although I'm personally leaning toward the former). How the $330 variant overclocks will determine how drastically Intel responds in terms of price cuts of the consumer platform (up to 7700k).

R5 is 6c/12t and is launching sometime around the summer and R3 is 4c/4t and4c/8t and is launching sometime after the summer. So for now, there is only the 8c/16t variants priced at $330-$500 (whether the $330 one is a power limited/clockspeed limited compared to the $500 variant or if they're basically binned the same and the only difference is their base clock is unknown -- although I'm personally leaning toward the former). How the $330 variant overclocks will determine how drastically Intel responds in terms of price cuts of the consumer platform (up to 7700k).

R5 is both 4c/8t and 6c/12t launching in Q2 so that's before summer-ish. R3 is launching 2H so that's the summery one.

AMD-Ryzen-5-and-3-1000x291.jpg

R5 is both 4c/8t and 6c/12t launching in Q2 so that's before summer-ish. R3 is launching 2H so that's the summery one.

right right....I don't like the 4c/8t being R5....it should be an R3.