https://www.reddit.c...fects_tf2s_fps/

#22 AwesomeMcCoolName

AwesomeMcCoolName

AwesomeSauce

• Donators
  • 7,089 posts
  • LocationMilky-Way Galaxy

Posted 15 February 2017 - 01:05 PM

Yes, and? Going by that you need an Ivy Bridge CPU @ 3.3ghz to get 144fps, which is about equivalent to 2.8ghz on Skylake/Kaby Lake.

Regardless, I get a noticeably higher fps than what he's showing even when you account for a higher IPC on Haswell. 

ZCfOybT.jpg

#23 Wokath

Wokath

Advanced Member

• Donators
  • 212 posts
  • Youtube:Wokath
  • Twitch:Wokath
  • LocationTree

Posted 15 February 2017 - 01:53 PM

I wouldn't buy anything until you're ready to buy everything as GPU prices could fall by then. Yes, my 780 easily gets 300fps almost everywhere and much higher in other places (and a 480/1060 are noticeably faster than a 780).

Ok got ya.  I'll just wait until the zen comes out and buy that.  When that time comes can you recommend me what to buy?

Again, you don't need 200fps if your monitor can only do 144hz. There's no real benefit to >144fps~ (assuming you have minimums above that as well). And anything above a 970/390 will do the job just fine (and a 480/1060 are around a 980).

What does this mean?  I thought I needed a 144hz monitor or else I won't be able to get 200+ fps because lower hz monitors won't be able to keep up with changes going onscreen?

PONtHc9.png

#24 AwesomeMcCoolName

AwesomeMcCoolName

AwesomeSauce

• Donators
  • 7,089 posts
  • LocationMilky-Way Galaxy

Posted 15 February 2017 - 02:09 PM

Ok got ya.  I'll just wait until the zen comes out and buy that.  When that time comes can you recommend me what to buy?

What does this mean?  I thought I needed a 144hz monitor or else I won't be able to get 200+ fps because lower hz monitors won't be able to keep up with changes going onscreen?

I'm not necessarily saying to buy Zen. It could end up having terrible gaming performance -- right now everything is based on leaks and a few (probably cherry picked) benchmarks by AMD. Intel might still end up being a better choice -- but there is a good chance that Zen will be a good choice and/or that Zen will lead Intel to lower prices. Either way, it's worth waiting a couple weeks to see how it turns out. 

A 144hz monitor will only let you see up to 144fps. You can't see more fps than the refresh rate of the monitor. So, having a frame rate higher than the refresh rate of the monitor is mostly irrelevant.

I say mostly because there are two reasons why you want or could want your fps > refresh rate of the monitor. 

1. You want your minimums >= 144fps, which generally means your average fps will probably be more like 150-170fps. 
  2. You want the most up-to-date frame possible. If you're running the game at 200fps on a 144hz monitor, then you will only see 144fps, HOWEVER, you'll end up getting a slightly more up-to-date frame (albeit with tearing). This reason is basically irrelevant, but it does technically exist. 

• Wokath and mastikhor like this

ZCfOybT.jpg

#25 Haxor Gaming

Haxor Gaming

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 38 posts
  • LocationOrlando, FL

Posted 17 February 2017 - 04:14 PM

Then there is this beast of a monitor 

ASUS ROG Swift PG258Q (240HZ!)