Trading with scammer will get steamrep/tf2op ban?

wten

Can I get banned for trading with scammer on tf2outpost / bp / steamrep?

If yes then why aren't scap.tf and other websites bot aren't banned for buy quicksells unusuals?

--------

few points from all the reply.

1) websites use steamrep api to unable scammers or alts using their site.

2) bp will give 2nd/3rd time ban if trading with scammer or alts. steamrep won't but tf2op will ban

3) trading with banned people that are banned for trading with scammers has never gotten ban to anyone.

should be safe to trade with them.

• Administrators

Yes.

Scrap.tf bots are automated and don't really count as people trading with scammers.

Those bots are created by people to auto trade with everyone.

1. If i created a bot on bp and op that accepts quicksells from scammer and normal people would that be an exception into rule?

2. How is that different from normal people buying from scammer? Aren't both bots and people are helping scammer in way?

Shuffle spy is wrong here.

You will stay clean from steamrep, and you will get perma banned on bp.tf/outpost usually around the 2nd/3d time you trade a scammer. Depending in who you trade, you will go 90% of the time unnoticed, especially if the hats are under 500 keys and you don't buy much. So don't worry about it.

• Like 1

If yes then why aren't scap.tf and other websites bot aren't banned for buy quicksells unusuals?

As someone who's run into some Russians in the past,

2 years ago SteamRep banned people, including me, for trading with scammers. But the thing is, sad to say, scammers help run the economy. I'd say a healthy amount of the unusuals people have today have a scammer in the history very early, introducing a new amount of money into a system that's already so oversaturated with other hats.

It's weird because sadly these scammers to a degree run our market as people get more and more naive, responsive to click bait, more likely to click a link that's obviously from some russianscamcite.ru/steamdumbwit.

On a more related note, bp.tf is much more lenient with the scammer stuff. And I'd like to thank them for it, because without that sort of leeway in a community that is run on an economy, they realize there's a bunch of people that are scammers, and they deal with them on a 1 on 1 basis, ban them and their respective alts, check and abide by steamrep policies etc. much better than most other sites I know (cough,cough Toughsox the faster you unban me or give me my premium $$$ back the less shit I talk ty bb).

As for outpost, they're much less worried about whether they're banning the right individuals. It's just a complete fuckin' tsunami dropped on people that have anything to do with trading with people that're marked scammers, 2, 3, 4 people into the history, which I believe was the wrong choice and can't deter someone from dropping a couple $$$ on a VPN and a new TF2 Premium account, thereby getting them back into the scammer's cycle.

So, I'd like to thank bp.tf and staff for allowing me, a victim of this shit, and steamrep, to right my wrongs and keep trading while still educating others and pushing the idea of boycotting trade scammed goods.

On that note, I feel really bad for this dude; rip in pieces : http://backpack.tf/item/5191324789

( pls check people's steamreps by copy pasting their steam community link here : http://steamrep.com/ )

What's the point of banning a scrap.tf bots?

They don't use tf2outpost or bp.tf.

After all, they're bots.

2 years ago SteamRep banned people, including me, for trading with scammers. But the thing is, sad to say, scammers help run the economy. I'd say a healthy amount of the unusuals people have today have a scammer in the history very early, introducing a new amount of money into a system that's already so oversaturated with other hats.

1. What i meant to say is that if a scammer is going to dump its unusuals to bots. Bots are only there to nake resell profit. If they can buy unusuals for normal or quicksell price why can't normal users can? Bots are doing the same thing where normal people are banned for doing be it 2nd/3rd time.

2. Lets assume if im a scammer and wanting to sell my unusuals

from alt account.

i. Put my unusuals to scrap bot for quicksell price for which i get 90 keys

ii. then buy again from my New Clean alt account for 100keys

iii. That way alt acc will not get banned from steamrep/tf2op/bp and easily sell my unusual for max price.

Repeat i to iii if my alt gets banned

TF2Outpost: Yes

Backpack.tf: Yes

SteamRep: No

Scrap.tf bots don't (knowingly) trade with scammers, because the website uses the SteamRep API to prevent scammers from using the site in the first place. Banning bots from Scrap.tf on other websites will accomplish nothing, since they aren't ever logging into Outpost or Backpack.tf, and I am confident if Geel or Jessecar were ever made aware of an unmarked alt laundering stolen goods into their site, they would not only ban it but also report the unmarked alt to SteamRep and have it marked. Not only to curb fraud, but because Valve has a history of banning websites' bots for laundering stolen goods, and from what I've heard they have been told (along with other trading site owners) by Valve that they will implement their own anti-fraud measures if they don't want their bots trade banned. Other people running bots without checking who they trade with tend to get both the bot and their main account banned on trading websites, from what I hear.

I am not staff for Outpost, Backpack.tf, or Scrap.tf, so I cannot speak officially on behalf of any of those communities.

Correction: You were banned by Fortress of Gamers, not SteamRep. Very few people actually got banned by SteamRep for that. http://forums.f-o-g.eu/threads/5724-76561198069813252-hypersmurf-b-keys-1-62-a.html

Scrap.tf bots don't (knowingly) trade with scammers, because the website uses the SteamRep API to prevent scammers from using the site in the first place.

Never knew that.

bp.tf/outpost usually around the 2nd/3d time you trade a scammer

Pretty sure you'll a permaban right away when it's 100% clear that you were knowingly trading with a scammer, you'll get warned if you didn't know it was a scammer or if there's no proof you knew it was a scammer

Unless the unusuals scammed were in the hand of people who were never gonna sell it ever, that's completely wrong. The fact that an unusual is sold either by a normal person or by a retarded scammer does not help the economy in any way, as the hat is being sold in either case. Scammers don't introduce a new amount of money, they do the exact opposite, by stealing that money from one person, and then selling that for cheaper than the hat could be sold for. The only people profiting from this are the scammer itself, and the person who would buy the unusual from that scammer. You talk like scammers create hats and inject them into the market, which is obviously wrong. And if you mean that by the duplicated hats, at that time, calling it "healthy" sure isn't the way to go.

Other people running bots without checking who they trade with tend to get both the bot and their main account banned on trading websites, from what I hear.

I am not staff for Outpost, Backpack.tf, or Scrap.tf, so I cannot speak officially on behalf of any of those communities.

Yes, Unusual Bots have been banned for trading with scammers before, and so would be the owner if it happens often enough.

The general rule of thump for trading with scammers is: 2 warning bans to remind you for not trading with scammers, then the 3rd ban is permanent. Or permanent right away if the trade happened knowingly.

Yes, Unusual Bots have been banned for trading with scammers before, and so would be the owner if it happens often enough.

The general rule of thump for trading with scammers is: 2 warning bans to remind you for not trading with scammers, then the 3rd ban is permanent. Or permanent right away if the trade happened knowingly.

Correct me if im wrong.

Assuming bp and tf2op bans for trading with scammers regardless if they use their site or not.

since scrap and other websites only following steamrep but not tf2op or bp rules they shouldn't they be banned for trading with scammers which are banned on tf2op and bp.

I don't think they can ban them since people trading with them will also get a ban for trading with scammer.

If not then why are normal users or bot owners banned ?

They also might not be able to track everywebsite where scammers sell for real money then whats wrong with people trading with scammer?

I don't quite understand this

Do I need to be checking if any hat I buy has names with red lines in the history now?
I swap unusuals quite a lot, mainly on backpack, and I still don't quite understand all the things I need to look out for. I just want nice shiny pixels, why is this such a minefield?

Do I need to be checking if any hat I buy has names with red lines in the history now?

I swap unusuals quite a lot, mainly on backpack, and I still don't quite understand all the things I need to look out for. I just want nice shiny pixels, why is this such a minefield?

I think what Erikson and others said before is correct.

Red lines in history shouldn't be a problem.

if the guy trying to sell isn't banned (red-lined) maybe wana check their bp, steamrep, tf2op profile reviews on bp or cases on steamrep.

If person before last person is banned i don't think it should effect you.

there can be exceptional cases where people are banned because of steamrep. So tf2op and bp banned them for reason stating steamrep ban.

After sometime the ban from steamrep is lifted for flase ban, ban appeal or something else maybe. Then tf2op/backpack sometimes not update their ban reason or unban them.

So if you trade with them thinking tf2op / bp have forgotten to remove their ban then you should not worry due to their mistake.

Edit: 1) by last person in history i meant last owner, person trying to sell you.

2) Reason for bp ,tf2op , steamrep profile cases or review is alt of scammer or hijacked acc try to do both sell/scam. If valve might get the hijacked account items back you might end up with duped unusual but don't know much about that.

No you only need to check the user you are buying from if he is banned for being a scammer that's all. If he is an obvious alt with 0 hours you might also check out the previous owner. I hope this removes any confusion left: http://forums.backpack.tf/index.php?/topic/29027-guide-for-background-checks/

regardless if they use their site or not.

The purpose of rules is not to be punitive for the sake of being punitive but to actually make the community a better place. Banning bots that don't use our site does nothing but create unnecessary drama. Bots that do use our site receive bans like everyone else. There's no sort of favoritism here. 

The purpose of rules is not to be punitive for the sake of being punitive but to actually make the community a better place. Banning bots that don't use our site does nothing but create unnecessary drama. Bots that do use our site receive bans like everyone else. There's no sort of favoritism here. 

Dont' know much about steamrep but if they did ban before for trading with scammer regardless of using bp or tf2op didn't they also got banned from bp without using it?

I think it is same as saying trading with scammer is not allowed. But bots not using our site can be used as middleman to buy from other scammers and not get banned.

Dont' know much about steamrep but if they did ban before for trading with scammer regardless of using bp or tf2op didn't they also got banned from bp without using it?

I think it is same as saying trading with scammer is not allowed. But bots not using our site can be used as middleman to buy from other scammers and not get banned.

SR does not ban for trading with scammers.

Scrap.tf bots (and others) automatically decline all offers from marked scammers.

SR does not ban for trading with scammers.

Scrap.tf bots (and others) automatically decline all offers from marked scammers.

I was talking about ban without people using bp and tf2op due to steamrep before they changed the rules.

Bots do not decline offers with bp and tf2op banned scammers.

You can find atleast 3 of the unusuals that are in top 5 slots with sellers banned on bp which clearly defy general rule of thump.

I was talking about ban without people using bp and tf2op due to steamrep before they changed the rules.

Bots do not decline offers with bp and tf2op banned scammers.

You can find atleast 3 of the unusuals that are in top 5 slots with sellers banned on bp which clearly defy general rule of thump.

Technically you can trade with someone who's banned on backpack.tf, however don't be surprised if you get a warning/ban if you traded with an obvious alt that just isn't marked yet. 

Because whether you trade with the scammer himself or somebody who created Steam 20 days ago and suddenly has 20+ unusuals that previously belonged to the scammer is basically the same.

Technically you can trade with someone who's banned on backpack.tf, however don't be surprised if you get a warning/ban if you traded with an obvious alt that just isn't marked yet. 

Because whether you trade with the scammer himself or somebody who created Steam 20 days ago and suddenly has 20+ unusuals that previously belonged to the scammer is basically the same.

That was not my point. Someone already explained earlier what you explained.

It was a bad rule and that's why it was removed.

It's just not really clear to me what you want us to do here. Are you asking us to start banning scrap.tf bots? What would that accomplish? It's not going to slow them down at all or affect them in any way. We have never banned people for trading with people who are banned for trading with scammers so it wouldn't affect anyone who bought from the bots.