If you could bring any animal back from extinction, which would you choose?

HarryG

I don't know, i was curious about this so why not ask. On the flip side, what animal alive today would you want to go extinct, if any?

I'd probably bring back the Tasmanian Tiger (Thylacine). It's pretty cool.

260px-Thylacinus.jpg

If I had to choose something to go extinct it would probably be the white-tailed deer just because where I live there's way to many and all they do is run in front of cars and die.

220px-White-tailed_deer.jpg

• Like 2

I'd bring back my old dogs.

Kinda a sad joke, but k.

Bring back - Dodo. Imagine eating that fat chicken.

The dodo's a good one to, Wikipedia says that it took man less than 70 years to hunt the species to extinction in very few visits to the only island it lived on (Mauritius in the Indian Ocean). It never really had a chance- it had no natural predators on its island and so was flightless because it never needed to escape anything. For that same reason it was curious when man came and so basically they all were easy prey. Kind of funny that everyone now thinks the dodo's the stupid one nowadays though

I've watched enough jurassic park to realise that reviving dead species isn't a good idea generally. But I think the Woolly rhinoceros.

41258-004-F83472D2.jpg

Not a great pic but w/e there was a replica at an exhibition at the museum of natural history in Rotterdam some time ago. Imagine a big giant scary rhinoceros, but then he's all woolly and fluffy. It was so cute, but badass at the same time.

And kill? Wasps. Fuck wasps. Seriously. Fuck off. Stop ruining summer days. I like summer. I hate wasps.

And I also hate it that half of the people think wasps are called wepsen in Dutch. They're wespen.

• Like 2

If I had to choose one animal to go extinct it would probably be the german cockroach. Those things give me a scare whenever I open a cabinet and find one there.

Aw, man. Deer are some of my favorite animals. :(

As for the question, though, in the current age where we endeavor to maintain a peaceful relationship with other organisms, I would love to see what the world would be like if we lived with some of our closest biological organisms. And by that I mean Homo erectus, Homo floresiensis (because Hobbits are awesome), or heck, I'd even go for Homo sapiens idaltu. What would these species have become and how would they hae compared to us if they hadn't disappeared?

EDIT: Also, as for one to go extinct, Haxor Gaming has the right idea. I can't think of a single good thing about mosquitoes.

Edited by Broson

Bring Back: The Sabertooth Tiger or Woolly Mammoth because they are badass.

Make Extinct: I agree with Pudding on wasps. Bees are fine, since they help flowers, but fuck wasps.

• Like 3

I've watched enough jurassic park to realise that reviving dead species isn't a good idea generally.

This is a good point, but I think the moral of that movie was more not reviving species that died off naturally (could argue that an asteroid was not natural but whatever lets not do that). Humans are the reason animals like the thylacine and dodo are extinct. Humans have driven thousands of animal species to extinction already (Steller's sea cow, great auk, passenger pigeon and that last one really is ridiculous given they were as populous as pigeons today are).

I'm not a PETA freak but I am intrigued by all the types of animals there are and it's kind of sad to see so many that have been driven to critically endangered status because of humans (most big cats but tigers especially, lots of species of whales, apes, rhinos). Some subspecies of tiger are already extinct (Turkish and Indonesian) and Chinese etc. subspecies are very rare if not extinct in the wild. The western black rhino I think went extinct very recently because of the horn trade.

Although it is good to hear that there is lots of evidence towards a possibility of actually bringing back extinct animals using close relatives as surrogates and DNA samples. They say a live mammoth will be a possibility in the next 5 years. Maybe one day we will see animals like the Javan tiger, dodo, and wooly rhino roam again.

Aw, man. Deer are some of my favorite animals. :(

As for the question, though, in the current age where we endeavor to maintain a peaceful relationship with other organisms, I would love to see what the world would be like if we lived with some of our closest biological organisms. And by that I mean Homo erectus, Homo floresiensis (because Hobbits are awesome), or heck, I'd even go for Homo sapiens idaltu. What would these species have become and how would they hae compared to us if they hadn't disappeared?

EDIT: Also, as for one to go extinct, Haxor Gaming has the right idea. I can't think of a single good thing about mosquitoes.

To be honest, this kind of sounds like another race dilemma if a more primitive relative to humans was back on earth. Remember what happened the first time humans discovered more primitive relatives? Yeah, it could go wrong is all I'm saying, especially since obviously Homo erectus were about 5 times as primitive as isolated African/Native American natives without European influence.

I'd have to go dodo here, we could mass-breed them and eat them. :^)

But that's why they're extinct in the first plac- I see what you did there. Well played. 

I'd bring back the arctocyon (bear dog). Apparently was similar in size to a medium dog but had teeth like a bear. That would be one bad-ass guard dog :)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arctocyonidae#/media/File:Arctocyon_DB.jpg

Kind of looks like a wolverine, or a Tasmanian devil. I'd never heard of this, neat.