Looking for cheap gaming computer build ~450USD

ǍгᴋᴀɴД ₭ɪлʛ

Hi...I don't usually do this sort of stuff so terrible sorry if there's any necessary information left out.

I'm incredibility hardware oblivious & not really sure on how about deciding a PC build. Anyway, would be grateful for any cheap PC build gaming computers around 450USD. I'm quite well aware of my backpack's value but I haven't really done any PayPal trades yet with Steam items & for now will just use money out of my own pocket until I bother with it.

Ideally I would want this computer to be able to run games such as OverWatch, Dark Souls, etc smoothly. The computer I have just barely manages to run TF2. I should note that I'm not even sure if something for $450 could do the job but I am just checking on what this could get me that's close enough (though I'm not really in a rush).

Notes:

- Current Video Card: NVIDIA GeForce 210 (worth salvaging? I highly doubt it)

- Prefer the case to have purple lighting but I won't worry too much if it doesn't

I'm not too worried about on how to build it yet & I'll leave that that until after I have an idea on what I should get.

Would you happen to know what's in your current PC? You might be able to just make several upgrades over time instead of making a whole new system at once. As for the lighting thing, you can always buy LED strips and place them wherever you want in your case. If you can do some basic DIY electrical stuff you can also save money by buying regular LED strips rather than other ones made for going into a PC.

Would you happen to know what's in your current PC? You might be able to just make several upgrades over time instead of making a whole new system at once. As for the lighting thing, you can always buy LED strips and place them wherever you want in your case. If you can do some basic DIY electrical stuff you can also save money by buying regular LED strips rather than other ones made for going into a PC.

Ideally would prefer to get a new one. The current one I have is 6 years old & is showing signs of wear & tears. Whenever it's slighted moved while on, just turns off & makes a concerning electrical noise (I'm guess a short circuit?)

Anyway, don't really know how to answer that so I'll just leave the specs & other things I think what you may be asking

http://i.imgur.com/JnSJO0P.png(specs)

- NVIDIA High Defition Audio (sound card?)

- Qualcomm Atheros AR9285 Wireless Network Adapter (might just salvage this though)

Finding a case with purple LEDs is very hard but you can always hook up LEDs yourself

http://pcpartpicker.com/list/Ctfhqk

I3 6100 is a really good budget CPU and since its LGA 1151 theres huge upgrade room for it

Slightly over budget though but this is probably the best youll get with $450

the 750Ti can easily play Dark Souls 3

• Like 1

Finding a case with purple LEDs is very hard but you can always hook up LEDs yourself

http://pcpartpicker.com/list/Ctfhqk

I3 6100 is a really good budget CPU and since its LGA 1151 theres huge upgrade room for it

Slightly over budget though but this is probably the best youll get with $450

the 750Ti can easily play Dark Souls 3

Looks mostly good but the motherboard shows no price so it's not counted. Maybe dropping off the CPU cooler (wait I forget if they even come with a stock cooler or not) and using what's left to cover the motherboard cost. Also in a few days AMD's new cards are coming out. I hear the RX 460 will have an MSRP of $100 and it should be better than the 750ti.

Edit: LGA 1151 uses DDR4, not DDR3

• Like 2

If you can wait a week, AMD is releasing some new budget cards that are supposed to perform VERY well (200 dollars for 980 performance).

Looks mostly good but the motherboard shows no price so it's not counted. Maybe dropping off the CPU cooler (wait I forget if they even come with a stock cooler or not) and using what's left to cover the motherboard cost. Also in a few days AMD's new cards are coming out. I hear the RX 460 will have an MSRP of $100 and it should be better than the 750ti.

Edit: LGA 1151 uses DDR4, not DDR3

you can use ddr3 to on 1151

you can use ddr3 to on 1151

That's DDR3L, completely different and not really worth the hassle of obtaining. If it's a matter of using DDR3 then going back to 1150 would be the better option.

1. Is your current computer ATX or BTX? With the front of the computer facing you, which side panel would you take off if you wanted access to the computer?
  2. What size hard drive do you currently have? 

Option #1, buy everything new and get a copy of Windows from Kinguin, G2A, or Reddit -- they're usually MSDN keys, which technically aren't allowed to be resold, but you're not likely to have a problem, and even if you did, you could literally buy 3-4 before reaching the cost of a full price license. The 950 is a placeholder for right now, the RX 460 should beat it when it's released in the coming week/s (or spend a bit more and aim for an RX470, which should be a 1080p sweet-spot card) http://pcpartpicker.com/list/4ZjCTW

Option #2, reuse your case and harddrive and put the excess money toward a better GPU (RX480 -- $230-$250~) or an i5-6500 & RX470.

For the games you listed, an i3+460 are a very good choice, but it never hurts to consider what your future plans are. 

• Like 2

1. Is your current computer ATX or BTX? With the front of the computer facing you, which side panel would you take off if you wanted access to the computer?
  2. What size hard drive do you currently have? 

Option #1, buy everything new and get a copy of Windows from Kinguin, G2A, or Reddit -- they're usually MSDN keys, which technically aren't allowed to be resold, but you're not likely to have a problem, and even if you did, you could literally buy 3-4 before reaching the cost of a full price license. The 950 is a placeholder for right now, the RX 460 should beat it when it's released in the coming week/s (or spend a bit more and aim for an RX470, which should be a 1080p sweet-spot card) http://pcpartpicker.com/list/4ZjCTW

Option #2, reuse your case and harddrive and put the excess money toward a better GPU (RX480 -- $230-$250~) or an i5-6500 & RX470.

For the games you listed, an i3+460 are a very good choice, but it never hurts to consider what your future plans are. 

1) I'm not sure on the difference between on an ATX & BTX case although judging from the information I found on the internet, assuming it's BTX. The side panel that can be remove is from the left.

2) 1TB hard drive with 660 current free space. More or less just using this thread to make an optimal decision in the future. As I mentioned earlier, not in a rush to make it right away so I can wait for the release of better video cards or get more ideas. I don't mind going over a little over budget.

So far the current plan I have now is wait a few weeks just to look at the other video cards & CPUs mentioned then make a build base around that. After I have a build, posted about it to get any recommendations then decide when to order it. When all the parts arrive, figure out the best learning tools on building a PC then might just get a copy of windows on one of those sites you mentioned earlier. I'm undecided on whether or not to reuse this hard drive + case or just get new ones & keep this PC as a backup.

I should note that I live in Australia in case that affects any shipping issues.

1) I'm not sure on the difference between on an ATX & BTX case although judging from the information I found on the internet, assuming it's BTX. The side panel that can be remove is from the left.

If removing the left side panel gives you access, then it's either ATX (Expansion slots are on the bottom half the case) or upside-down BTX (Expansion slots are on the top half the case).

Don't confuse em, that machine has to be at least from 2010 so BTX lost whatever relevance it might've had long before then. It's probably just your average ol' micro-atx OEM situation.

Don't confuse em, that machine has to be at least from 2010 so BTX lost whatever relevance it might've had long before then. It's probably just your average ol' micro-atx OEM situation.

You'd be surprised what kind of shit Dell/HP still pull. Also, AM3 launched in 2009, so the motherboard could easily be from then :P

Imo you should consider cashing out a few things and buy a decent ~700 to ~1000 pre-built gaming PC. Since you don't know much yet it will save you a lot of hassle.  Your future self will thank you probably :P For the lights: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Top-LED-Bright-Purple-Modding/dp/B00C2Q56G8

Building a computer really isn't that complicated. If something fits somewhere, that's basically where it goes. Plus there are plenty of in-depth build guides. In the long run, a custom build will give you less trouble since you know what kind of hardware you have to work with so you won't have to worry about changing twelve things to do a simple upgrade (plus with much better price/performance you wouldn't need to do an upgrade as soon anyway).

• Like 3