What's the best way to stop being nervous for projects?

Loganog

Today I had my finals for 1st and 4th and one of them was based around doing one of those PowerPoint presentations,

He gave us a remote control to use to scroll, But it also came with a laser pointer.

The problem was I had to end up usin' a meter-stick since every time I pointed with it, My arm would just jitter all over the place + I had some moments where my brain went partially blank basically.

I mean I still got a B+/A- but still, Just want to make sure it doesn't happen in my future classes.

Drink water and eat crackers before event.  Also tell yourself your going to do fine and remember to breathe before and during event.

In my junior and senior years, I didn't present. I just told my teacher that I was willing to present privately to them, and if they wouldn't allow it, I'd simply not do the project. All of the teachers I tried this with let me do it my way. Most of them really liked me, I'm class pet material. :3

I used to be a lot better about presentations, but nowadays I really just can't physically do it. My heart will be uncomfortably palpitating in my chest and I'll have rather severe shakes, it's not worth it. I'm not going to risk having an anxiety attack in front of a classroom full of people who probably want to see me do so.

If you can't get out of presenting and you cant take a zero, just power through it and try not to think too much about it. If you turn your back to the class and just don't look back the whole time you can improve your mental state throughout the presentation. Out of sight is (kinda) out of mind. 

Okay, I deal with this same problem and it's kind of sad that people this way about presenting.

If you wing it; you should be nervous, otherwise, there's no reason to, you're literally in secondary school; nothing matters but bi-ches, ho3s, and music, but around that, you should be doing your work.

Just power through it, don't start to fidget, as it leads to larger movements and in 10 minutes you'll be breakdancing with your hands that's how bad you'll shake.

Otherwise, just say fu-k it and go for it.

Good luck,

The Senior,

HyperF@GG@Y

Okay, I deal with this same problem and it's kind of sad that people this way about presenting.

If you wing it; you should be nervous, otherwise, there's no reason to, you're literally in secondary school; nothing matters but bi-ches, ho3s, and music, but around that, you should be doing your work.

Just power through it, don't start to fidget, as it leads to larger movements and in 10 minutes you'll be breakdancing with your hands that's how bad you'll shake.

Otherwise, just say fu-k it and go for it.

Good luck,

The Senior,

HyperF@GG@Y

I would power through it but my school is one of the ones that usually don't like seeing short presentations, Most have a requirement if you want a good grade,It's usually 1-3 minutes.

If you learn your content well, you can try to focus on the flow of the presentation rather than just focusing on what to say

-snip-

Going to have to disagree with Angel here. Unless you have a well-documented psychiatric diagnosis that determines you are significantly more prone to panic attacks, etc., learning public speaking is a crucial skill that will carry you incredibly far in life, and is generally something you will need to do at one point or another.

I've personally found there are a few ways to relieve any stress I may have going into delivering a speech:

- Nihilistic Approach: Why do I care? If I think about it, no one is actually judging me. No one is going to attack me, so why should I care what they think. I'm going to talk, I'm going to talk smoothly, and that will be that. 

- Knowledgeable Approach: Just remember that you almost certainly will know more about the subject matter at hand than your recipient. Keep this in mind: They're not able to judge you on this, so just focus on bringing what you know to them, as opposed to presenting to them.

- On-the-Fly Approach: Don't memorize. This is a trickier one, and will require a degree of familiarity with delivering speeches before it is effective. Essentially, don't bother writing a full speech. Outline your ideas beforehand, take time to remember any statistics, sources, etc. that you will cite in your speech, and then just run with it. If you've developed with public speaking, then this method will solidify the speech as not a terrifying formal event, but more of a relaxed conversation (although a rather one-sided one!)

Also key to public speaking: Practice. I cannot stress this enough. Practice with family members, or, better yet, friends. This is especially useful for working on the third approach, but a tip: Don't only practice your speech. Write up practice speeches on a variety of topics, and if you can't come up with ideas p.m. me, I'd be happy to explain extemporaneous speaking and how it could help you further. It's a form of public "debate" that requires preparation of fast and knowledgeable political speeches, usually only 6-7 minutes in length

look at the teacher

they might think youre weird but at least you dont have to see your 20+ classmates staring at you judging your every move

There is no easy way to anything in life. Ever wonder why get rich fast scams work so well? People are lazy and rather have instant gratification.

In this case, the instant gratification is finding a way out of it, but there isn't, only way to stop worrying is to keep doing them. Hustle and you'll succeed. Think about your future, if say you want to be a hot-shot CEO of a big company then you must be 100% comfortable to get people to respect you, and the only way to get there (both being CEO and being comfortable in presentation) is to: work on it with everything you have. You'll thank your younger self.

Hope this helps :)

Practice makes perfect.

I'm the same way in public presentations. Im all good with talking and shit but when I have to be professional in from of 20+ people I shit the bed. I just cant do it. Im also in a field of study where Im going to be doing it often though, so eventually Im just going to have to get over it. If I had to give any advice though; eat a decent, but not massive meal before presenting, avoid caffeine, stretch a little, dont curl up on stage, and just breathe. Do the little things to keep a cool head and remember key points to build off of.  

Often, I find it useful to be standing on the side that you're most comfortable, often the side of your more dominant hand. With your dominant hand having the controller and using the laser pointer, it's best to either keep your other hand in your pocket or have it firm and straight, also pointing to the screen for assistance. It makes sure that you aren't fidgeting around with your hands all the time, and you are free to do suitable hand gestures that add expression to your presentation. If it does get uncomfortable standing in the same position, spew out a little anecdote or something related to the topic whilst you're slowly moving from one side of the screen to the other.

Practice a ton. Don't ever memorize the words or your going to mess up. Know the key phrases per slide and go off based that, if you try to memorize your going to stutter and mess up. And by a ton I mean 10-20+ times, and do it in front of the mirror, friends, family, or even video tape yourself and watch it to seem what you can improve on. If you know your material in and out you should be fine. 

I once did this french project where I had to talk about some french speaking country, and I literally just got up there and made up stuff about the countrys history without reading off the Powerpoint, it was entirely out of my head and had NOTHING to do with the actual country and my teacher clapped her hands after i was done and said "THATS what im looking for! He knows his stuff, and hes not reading off his slides! Trés bon Génial!"

I love doing class presentations. My 3 Steps for getting an Easy A:

-Dont read off the powerpoint: The people youre presenting to can do that themselves. Paraphrase your information and make it enjoyable to listen to, or easier to understand.

-Eye Contact: Pick 3 students/people in the room. 1 on the left, one on the right, and 1 in the middle. As you are speaking look at or near each one for about 5 seconds, then move to another one. This make you seem very comfortable presenting, but you can just focus on a few people instead of the crowd, so its a lot less nerveracking.

-Practice speaking: Even just reading through it multiple times saying it out loud to yourself makes you comfortable with the words so you dont get up there and stumble over one simple word then get really embarrassed and throw the whole thing off.

Thats it! Eye contact, dont look at the board, and make sure youre more than familiar with the words/material.

Two shots of whiskey beforehand. No more, no less.

I had terrible performance anxiety in college to the point that I was physically ill for days after a minor presentation, but then I got pissed and decided f*** it. Next time around, my good friend Jack Daniels calmed my nerves to the point that I was complimented on being cool, calm, and collected :P

Archived