How do you deal with occasional sadness/depression?

Dyshhhhryya

This is probably one of the worst bits of advice to give someone. 

It's actually one of the best, if not the best, advice in this thread. Victim mentality is the worst thing you can indulge in, and it's really only a call of attention. Just suck it up, and move on. It's a matter of improving your life like this guy said:

Working out works best for me. Been doing it since I was 13 and it has helped me through hard times like break ups, loss of friend, failure in hobbies, family member getting into accidents, etc.

At the end you have to find out what's your root of sadness / depression.

If being fat makes you sad then workout, diet, etc.

If being bad in school homework makes you sad then start implementing studying schedules, etc.

If being poor makes you sad then get a job, save up, think about career goals and internships, etc.

Lifting is honestly the best advice ever. Start going to a gym if you're feeling depressed or sad or whatever, even if you're happy. After a month of lifting everyday you'll feel alive and confident. And it only gets better. Been lifting for a year now and the health benefits from exercising show, plus you get massive confidence knowing you're strong and have muscle.

The best things to do is to simply just watch a couple of your favourite programmes, listen to music, do one of the many hobbies you enjoy or just take a walk out and learn that sometimes, you're more privileged than some people. For me, I sometimes find it a bit euphoric to trade / gamble (with the intention of fun and at my own expense that I can still sustain myself).

The worst things to do when dealing with depression is to go out of your way and ruin someone else's day, especially a family member, gamble (with the intention of just winning), expressing your feelings to people who generally don't care / can't assist you in dealing with it as well as drink / change your whole character.

Lifting is honestly the best advice ever. Start going to a gym if you're feeling depressed or sad or whatever, even if you're happy. After a month of lifting everyday you'll feel alive and confident. And it only gets better. Been lifting for a year now and the health benefits from exercising show, plus you get massive confidence knowing you're strong and have muscle.

I started going to the gym in the Summer of last years after a good friend talked me into it. I went with him a few times thinking it wouldnt be a common thing. I eventually tried to start going like 4 times a week and have been for the past year. Ive seen my grades improve, my confidence improve, and on top of any other benefits Ive lost close to 30lbs since high school. Honestly, being healthy is step one to being happy.

Posted · Hidden by puddingkip, May 10, 2016 - No reason given
Hidden by puddingkip, May 10, 2016 - No reason given

Go into the middle of the city and scream "Allahu Akbar" for the lulz

Oh boy, depession and sadness! 2 things I'm good at!

Anyways, how to deal with it?

Well, I just take my cat and put her besides my laptop for an occasional pet.

It is annoying tho when she starts jumping ontop of my laptop monitor.

I do think depression prevents that, ol' chap

what?

I agree. When depressed talking to people is one thing you really dont want to do. Admitting you are depressed to anybody close to you is hard enough but you try to convince yourself that either you will get through it by yourself or you dont want to burden others with your problems. So talking to somebody would be like asking them for help. (something you dont want to burden them with regardless of who they are)

Generally (at least from my experience) you shut out everybody around you. Creating a bubble or self loathing around yourself. Constantly having the same thoughts running through your mind of how pitiful you are to be depressed which makes you more depressed because you feel so weak. It becomes an endless cycle which becomes really difficult to break free from. After a while you avoid going outside altogether and you sit alone in your room avoiding all contact with the outside world. You just want to be left alone.

Turning to food is something many do. I turned away from food as a teenager. Anorexia and Bulimia shortly followed. 

The only thing that really can help is if you find something to tether you to reality. For some it can be a person they have never met but who has similar issues and they become dependent on each other for support. Not exactly healthy but its still a tether. Others turn to exercise or look to studies because they know a method to improve where they went wrong.

At the end of the day, there is no right or wrong answer for what you would do. Everybody is different and has different methods of coping

• Administrators

At the end of the day, there is no right or wrong answer for what you would do. Everybody is different and has different methods of coping

> long post about how my way of dealing with things is wrong

> "there is no right or wrong answer"

lol?

the question was what do YOU do. i answered what i do. i talk to people that i trust. sometimes those people are online, if i can't face the world. i didn't say i talk to them about my depression, i said i talk to them. either way, i'm answering for me and i didn't criticize anyone elses experience so y'all can sod off.

Archived