Crates to Unbox

Mr.Mem

I have $25 on Steam and I feel like wasting money. What crates should I unbox to get good profit that is not an unusual? I'm thinking #76 because of the Damage Dealt part. If I shouldn't unbox, what should I do with my money?

With the recent rise of strange parts, pretty much any crate involving strange parts is pretty much a guaranteed key right now.

#76 as you said, is probably your best best due to damage dealt. It's worth it just for DD alone and is the crate I unbox usually.

i totally didnt unbox an unusual during haloween from #76 lolololololo

this

or you can unbox #83 (ks kits, chance of pro which go for up to $60-70, though unusuals are series #3) or #9 (good paint, OG series #1 unusuals), though the latter costs ~$1 each on scm

I remember unboxig 10 of those crates on halloween and got 10 ks kits worth 20 cents each :__(

how to get profit from unboxing -> don't unbox.  seriously though :|

I usually just buy keys with my SCM funds, then quickbuy stuff to resell on the SCM, etc.

how to get profit from unboxing -> don't unbox.  seriously though :|

That's what ROCK INTO MORDOR said to himself. After unboxing a crate, he got a burning team captain.

I remembered unboxing strange normal items when gun mettle update was introduced. Sometimes shitty crates can yield great rewards (depending on how hard Valve has fucked up with their bugs).

#9 is the way to go. It has 2 paints worth 2 keys (Pink and Lime)

That would be true....if the cost of the crate wasn't more than every other item in the crate.  So for example, it costs you more than $1 for a crate 9, but the other paints beside Pink and Lime aren't even worth that much.  So in other words, when you unbox, let's say gentlemen's paint, you don't even make the amount of money you spent on the crate back, plus you're losing a key.  Sure, if you unbox pink or lime you actually made some profit, but statistically you shouldn't expect to unbox more than 3 pink or limes for every ten crates.  

The fact is that it's impossible to make gains from any 1st gen crates since they are either too expensive if they have good loot (crate 9, 13, 14 and 15) or have a high chance of unboxing unique weapons (almost every crate <19) or just give you a bunch of a low value stranges (19-25).   Either way, you're not winning if you don't unbox an unusual.  

Gen 1 crates are for people who aren't really concerned with making a return (or even protecting their losses).  You unbox 1st gen crates because it's your only chance to unbox a legit god-tier hat.  

As for profit crates:  Try strange part crates or KS crates.  But even there you need to actually be lucky to make a return.  For strange parts, the drop rate is ~10%.  So let's say you unbox 10 76s, you can reasonably expect to get one strange part damage dealt (but even that would actually be lucky).  Assuming that whatever else you get is shit, you still lost money here.  The KS crates can be excellent if you manage to unbox good weapons.  Problem is that there are kits in there that aren't worth shit (like GRU, Axtinguisher, etc.).  

TLDR:  Unboxing is only profitable if you actually get lucky.  There are no crates that guarantee you even breaking even on unboxing, let alone profit.  Proceed at your own risk. 

I like crate 9s, good paints and also got my PE headsplitter from a #9

That would be true....if the cost of the crate wasn't more than every other item in the crate.  So for example, it costs you more than $1 for a crate 9, but the other paints beside Pink and Lime aren't even worth that much.  So in other words, when you unbox, let's say gentlemen's paint, you don't even make the amount of money you spent on the crate back, plus you're losing a key.  Sure, if you unbox pink or lime you actually made some profit, but statistically you shouldn't expect to unbox more than 3 pink or limes for every ten crates.  

The fact is that it's impossible to make gains from any 1st gen crates since they are either too expensive if they have good loot (crate 9, 13, 14 and 15) or have a high chance of unboxing unique weapons (almost every crate <19) or just give you a bunch of a low value stranges (19-25).   Either way, you're not winning if you don't unbox an unusual.  

Archived