Scammer talk.

TRR-O Damon1174

Ive always wondered, lets take scammers like a kingdom

In this said village/kingdom, all people are villagers, or normal people. If you do something illegal, you get exiled to the outside world and can't talk/trade/communicate with other villagers.

In TF2, Everyone is normal, but if you trade with a marked scammer or scam, you get marked and can't trade with others, because other people also dont wanna get marked.

Whats the deal with this? Lets say, i get marked for scamming GabeN. I now can't trade with others because they will get marked, which is considered bad so they dont wanna trade with me. HOWEVER, do Marked scammers have their own little community? There's no downside if THEY trade with a marked scammer, so you'd think they'd have a little community, right? 

And furthermore, WHY DO WE GIVE A SHIT IF WE'RE MARKED!?! Its like currency, if people dont give a fuck about it, it stops being a thing, so if everyone didnt care if they were marked, or didnt carte if they traded with marked people, it wouldn't make a difference. I kinda stupid tbh. Join me, SCAM PEOPLE, GET MARKED AND CREATE A REBELLION! >:D

Anyways, thoughts?

FYI, you can't get marked for normally trading with scammers anymore. However, some trading sites (mainly Outpost and backpack.tf) will punish you for high-value trades with scammers.

Lets say, i get marked for scamming GabeN.

Marked? You'd be perma'd from the entire internet and would never be able to play another video game, ever.

You'd hit 110% on the REKT-O-METER

Yes.  Scammers do trade within their own communities and operate off the "grid." SCM is obviously a huge place for liquidation and as long as you're not notorious enough for valve to ban you.   It's not that hard to continue to move resources.  Further then that, there are certainly trading servers where people don't care what you do.

Yet the reason for being banned for trading with scammers is pretty obvious:

1. You're facilitating scamming being viable by giving them money or resources, which allows scamming to continue to be profitable.  

2.  You''re helping bad actors.  Scammers are people doing something bad.  Even if they're not doing it to you do you really want to help them?

3.  Scammers are pulling money out of the economy into there back pocket.  In order for trading to be healthy this should be avoided.  Many scammers are just out to make a quick buck.

4.  You're encouraging practices that make people wary of trading.  If every other add is going to be severe sharking or scamming, people will stop using trading websites. You're hurting yourself if you can't use backpack.tf or outpost to trade, because people are too worried about getting scammed to use that kind of trading.

Marked? You'd be perma'd from the entire internet and would never be able to play another video game, ever.

You'd hit 110% on the REKT-O-METER

He would use it as a reason to never release hl3

Point #3 isn't a valid argument at all. To see why, replace "scammers" with "traders" and the argument holds exactly the same amount of water.

3.  Traders are pulling money out of the economy into there back pocket.  In order for trading to be healthy this should be avoided.  Many traders are just out to make a quick buck.

EVERYONE who trades is out to make a quick buck at everyone else's expense; that's not the problem. The problem is using dishonest means to do it. (Also, scammers often sell large volumes of items at low prices in order to move them quickly, which is actually going to stimulate the economy, and provide opportunities for lots of people to profit. Literally everyone except the victims benefits from scammers, if you look at it from a purely economic view, and ignore the arguable effects of duping.)

But your general argument is pretty simple and sound. Don't help thieves. Even if you don't GaF what they do to others, helping them means thieving is more profitable, and thus the number of thieves will increase, and YOU will be more likely to be a target, likely of more sophisticated thieving methods.

Ive always wondered, lets take scammers like a kingdom

In this said village/kingdom, all people are villagers, or normal people. If you do something illegal, you get exiled to the outside world and can't talk/trade/communicate with other villagers.

In TF2, Everyone is normal, but if you trade with a marked scammer or scam, you get marked and can't trade with others, because other people also dont wanna get marked.

Whats the deal with this? Lets say, i get marked for scamming GabeN. I now can't trade with others because they will get marked, which is considered bad so they dont wanna trade with me. HOWEVER, do Marked scammers have their own little community? There's no downside if THEY trade with a marked scammer, so you'd think they'd have a little community, right? 

And furthermore, WHY DO WE GIVE A SHIT IF WE'RE MARKED!?! Its like currency, if people dont give a fuck about it, it stops being a thing, so if everyone didnt care if they were marked, or didnt carte if they traded with marked people, it wouldn't make a difference. I kinda stupid tbh. Join me, SCAM PEOPLE, GET MARKED AND CREATE A REBELLION! > :D

If you're talking about SteamRep marks, it doesn't work that way. Kind of worrying that you're advocating for people to band together and start scamming though.

First off, you can't get marked for trading with scammers anymore. Rule existed before to try and curb brokering and fencing with scammers, but ended up being used as a way for traders to dig up dirt they could use against anyone they didn't like. You will not be marked for trading with a marked scammer, and whoever is telling you otherwise is just trying to scare you.

Second, SteamRep marks aren't intended to "exile", punish, or discourage scamming or any kind of unsavory behavior. It's also not there to create some kind of class division. They're a warning label for someone who is unsafe to deal with. If you trade with a marked scammer, you do so at your own risk. You may get banned from other communities for supporting fraud (honestly if you use their sites, you play by their rules), but that will not cause others to be penalized for trading with you down the road.

To answer your question about scammer communities, I've seen a few marked scammers run their own scamming communities. They tend not to work out especially well; being dishonest people, scammers often scam one another instead of living up to their arrangements with one another. Sometimes scammer-support groups pop up in Steam, where scammers work together and brainstorm/sell new ideas to scam (ideas for phishing websites, hand-holding through more complicated scams, etc), but those tend to get shut down once the right people discover them. A lot of the people actively impersonating "trusted friends" to "check for duped/glitched" items appear to be working together in some capacity though, if not the same guy.

Archived