Worth upgrading?

The Oddball

My friend has a Core 2 Quad processor @3.0ghz (Q9650) and he's looking to desperately upgrade it. Is it worth getting a new motherboard + cpu + ram just for the upgrade?

(He's looking to go into Haswell refresh I think)

I would assume yes he should upgrade everything but we dont have a lot of information here.

How old is his rig? Was his core 2 bought back when it was released or was it a custom build more recently where the core 2 struggles to keep up to date?

If he has a relatively new motherboard but bought a cheaper, older processor to save some money then only update the processor. If the entire rig is very behind then a full update would be better. 

Might even be worth buying a completely new rig if it works out to be cheaper

Edit: Should also have mentioned that if it is the case of older parts, then his motherboard would likely not support a new processor anyway so would need updating regardless.

If he can play his favorite games at high, then there's no need to upgrade. There's a lot of stuff going on with the advent of VR headsets, and if he can hold on to his current system another year or so he can make a better investment.

Archived