GPU Usage not at 100%

Syndaz

Just got an XFX R9 390 today. After an absolutely horrible install period (my mobo was small so it was a pain in the ass to install) I decided to test out Skyrim on Ultra on my 1680x1050 monitor. I got a locked 60-61 FPS but then saw horrible stuttering in towns like Riften (I do have some graphical mods installed but nothing too heavy) so I decided to check out Afterburner. My GPU usage was crazy going up and down so I was wondering whether my PSU could be the problem. It's a cheapo EVGA 600w 80+ which in theory should do the job until I get a new PSU (once I sell my old 650). Any ideas why this is happening? And no my CPU is not a bottleneck it's a I7-2600 and it is fine for gaming atm.

Could probably be a number of things including bad drivers or the card itself has problems. Not sure how to diagnose that probably but maybe running it through a stress test will reveal something.

What are your GPU temps? and do you have the latest Crimson drivers (which are supposedly locking fan speeds at 20%)?

Yeah read about those. I have full control over my fan control as I set a custom fan curve. I set my temps to idle at 20% fan speed and then it ramps up to 40-60 depending on how hard it's working. I think I'm one of the lucky ones who haven't had the issues.

Just noticed that sometimes on idle that it will turn off the auto fan speed and stay at 32% fan speed when its low temps. But this is when I was doing work so this is most likely the driver issue that everyone's heard about. Any help on my original question?

Just noticed that sometimes on idle that it will turn off the auto fan speed and stay at 32% fan speed when its low temps. But this is when I was doing work so this is most likely the driver issue that everyone's heard about. Any help on my original question?

What's your RAM, VRAM, and CPU usage? 

What's your RAM, VRAM, and CPU usage? 

Might have fixed the problem. After installing the 390 it changed my power from HP to balenced so I switched it back. I get more consistent high 70%+ only dipping to 30% gpu usage when it's not a very taxxing area.

I'd temporarily remove any overclocks, run driver wiper to nuke the drivers, then reinstall them, then run valley benchmark or a reputable benchmark. Install Intel Burn Test and run it overnight to test CPU stability.

Archived