How long should somebody stay in a coma?

Senpai Absol~

How long should doctors let somebody stay in coma before pulling the plug?

It is very costly to allow the person to keep living, but people always have the chance of coming back.

What do you think?

How long should doctors let somebody stay in coma before pulling the plug?

If I'm not mistaken isn't the relatives of the person who's in a coma the ones to decide ?

If I'm not mistaken isn't the relatives of the person who's in a coma the ones to decide ?

Most of the time

But it is what I meant, lets say you were in the postion of allowing the person to live, how long?

The costs are extremely costly, while there is a chance to come back, it isn't likely

I think if there is no longer a reasonable chance for recovery, then the family of the patient needs to pay for it themselves. I don't mean to sound crass, but we don't need to be spending money on people who are clinically dead. 

But it is what I meant, lets say you were in the postion of allowing the person to live, how long?

The costs are extremely costly, while there is a chance to come back, it isn't likely

As long as I have money, or if there's less than 5% chance of success.

it's up to the person's family/friends this is not a political topic blah blah blah

Actually unless you've given specific family or close friends power of attorney over your health in the case of a major life threatening accident, the family can't make that decision for you. There have been numerous famous cases throughout the US that have involved husbands or parents wanting to pull the plug on somebody in a coma or who is brain dead, but the doctors won't let them and the issue has gone to court. Usually the person needs to have drafted a letter that says, in the case of being incapacitated to make decisions regarding my health, I want _______ done or ______ person to make these decisions for me. 

• Administrators

I think if there is no longer a reasonable chance for recovery, then the family of the patient needs to pay for it themselves. I don't mean to sound crass, but we don't need to be spending money on people who are clinically dead. 

Uh dude you're american, you're already paying for it yourself.

True, our tax dollars go instead to House Representative's breakfast 

With all the lobbying that goes on, I really wonder how many politicians are actually paying for their own breakfasts.

This is a rather tough question.

A chance for the return of a loved one, at the certain expense of large sums of money that might be futile in the end.

This reminds me of the tragic stories I hear from family friends about putting down their pets when t's almost guaranteed too late for them.

Honestly, you let them live through suffering each moment you don't decide, but then again there's a chance they may come back.

I don't think I could live with myself knowing I sped up the death of someone. Unless the person told me before they met this fate, on what they'd want me to do, I can't bring myself to not delay the inevitable.

I'd fight for the chance for their return. If I didn't I wouldn't be human.

On a related note I tell my younger brother and sister that the first day I need help wiping my own ass I want them to release my wheel chair down the nearest hill, walk back into the house, and shut the door.

Archived