Are We Alone

Chilled Soda

(Sorry if there is already another thread with regards to this topic, I could not find it :3)

Are we alone in the universe?

/discuss

Yes, I doubt the existence of extraterrestrial intelligent life

What's the reasoning behind that? 

They just found water on Mars, which proves that once Mars was a planet similar to Earth, so if we had two planets in our solar system that could have supported life, what are the odds that they are the only two out of trillions of galaxies?

The chance is there, and believing isn't wrong, but if you think green aliens exist, I may hit you in the eye =D

Green with 3 eyes =D

Alternatively, for those convinced of life on other planets, what will they look like? Will they follow our scientific laws? (Physics, the 5 Characteristics of Life, the Elements, how they react, etc) Will they have evolved like humans, or taken a different route?

(playing devils advocate here)

What makes you so sure?

As Arthur C. Clarke, physicist and author of 2001: A Space Odyssey wrote, "The idea that we are the only intelligent creatures in a cosmos of a hundred billion galaxies is so preposterous that there are very few astronomers today who would take it seriously. It is safest to assume therefore, that they are out there and to consider the manner in which this may impinge upon human society."

As Arthur C. Clarke, physicist and author of 2001: A Space Odyssey wrote, "The idea that we are the only intelligent creatures in a cosmos of a hundred billion galaxies is so preposterous that there are very few astronomers today who would take it seriously. It is safest to assume therefore, that they are out there and to consider the manner in which this may impinge upon human society."

Humans have been wrong before.

Also, what do you think about how they will look, act, etc... Will they be humanoid? Or completely different? How will they communicate? Peace or war?

Also, what do you think about how they will look, act, etc... Will they be humanoid? Or completely different? How will they communicate? Peace or war?

I believe there are different types of Alien life form, so statistically speaking, you can have different behavior and looks. 

We don't have the technology to prove that there's anything other than us in this universe (anything more intelligent than us), so its understandable that you don't believe in other lifeforms 

But we do have the technology to measure the size of this universe. Do you really think that in this tiny speck that we live in the universe, we are the only living things?

Even if these aliens exist and you want them to visit us, why should they? Why would they want to contact a civilization that barely has the technology to leave their own planet?

Stephen Hawking would be to them like how the smartest chimpanzee is to us.

Besides, our brains are tainted by the ayyyyy lmaooo memes and shit, so i'm not surprised we don't take this topic seriously.

What's the reasoning behind that? 

They just found water on Mars, which proves that once Mars was a planet similar to Earth, so if we had two planets in our solar system that could have supported life, what are the odds that they are the only two out of trillions of galaxies?

Having water does not mean Mars is/was similar to earth. Since there currently is no proof either way really there are very few arguments to bring in

And what are the odds? 50% of course, either there is or there isn't :P

There already has been found Bactirca and other living small things on other planets but not intelligent life yet, I think one day we will get discovered or find intelligent life

pls notice me senpai Aliens

All the shows poking at alien life that came to earth to help us build pyramids and what-not really make this topic hard to disscus.  Those shows are complete bullshit and make many people want to say "Hell no, there's definitely no aliens out there"  And that's for a good reason, I definitely do not believe that "alien beings have visited our ancestores", but I do believe there are more forms of life out there.  Of course we will probably never see them any time soon, and I'm not sure if they're intelligent like us, or just bacterea / small organisms, or even more intelligent than us... But I do believe there must be more out there, the universe is too big for us to think we're the only ones.

(playing devils advocate here)

What makes you so sure?

that's not really playing devil's advocate, playing devil's advocate is saying something for the other side of the argument (though you might not agree with it)

(i.e. if there was any life out there, why haven't we found it out of all the planets we've searched so far?)

that's not really playing devil's advocate, playing devil's advocate is saying something for the other side of the argument (though you might not agree with it)

(i.e. if there was any life out there, why haven't we found it out of all the planets we've searched so far?)

Because we can't even see the surface of most of these planets, they're that far away that all we see is slight disturbances in light emitted from nearby stars. We've been on the surface of a few planets, and our moon. We only just got decent images of plutos surface. Even if we could visit every planet in our solar system, that would be 8 out of an infinite amount. In short, we are not alone.

Materialism wants to prove life originated itself.

The theory of Darwin, evolutionism, etc failed to prove it.

We don't really know if it is water that NASA discovered, they think it is some kind of water but they are not sure.

To answer the topic question, yes we are alone in the universe and that's for the best.

they can be in form that our eyes cant see it 

k dat was just my stupid thought

It's highly likely that we're not alone, but it's also unlikely that we'll encounter life on other planets in the near future.

For the skeptics, is it really that improbable that we, out of the quadrillions of stars, billions of galaxies, and an infinite universe we are the only form of intelligent life? Even if the odds of us emerging to existence was a 0.000000001% chance of happening, there would still be a fuck ton of us out there. I would also venture a guess that there are places in the ever-expanding universe that defy this world's physics or might not even have some of the most common elements here on earth. Just thinking about it makes my mind spin in circles yet I would be satisfied with discovering a new plant outside of the Earth in my lifetime

As far as I know we haven't found any evidence of life outside of earth, however I am inclined to think that we are not alone in our universe.

The Drake Equation can give a rough prediction of how many intelligent civilizations there are assuming we have good estimates of the variables there, which is not easy. Communicating with other life forms however is very unlikely as the distance between even the closest possible habitable planets is extreme. So this will probably remain unknown for a very long time, if we ever do find other life out there.

Archived