Gent's Many Website Suggestions (TM)

Gent♥

So after 1,700 suggestions I like to think I know my way around a suggestion. So here's some ideas. There are many others like them but these ones are mine.

1. Require proof for certain non-unusual suggestions.

Recently things like this have been happening:
http://backpack.tf/vote/id/56158e56dea9e926664ac07a
http://backpack.tf/vote/id/5617747bb98d88c674cc1b31

Suggestions for high-tier non-unusual items using the same level of proof as a craft hat, and falling over themselves because of it.

I think some sort of safeguard, some amendment to the rules, needs to be put in place to discourage this, because mistakes like could very easily accidentally be accepted.

2. FIX THE 5% RULE

There's no consensus on this, and the mods are basically playing it by ear.

http://backpack.tf/vote/id/5612ec3edea9e990354ac0f9Based on the criteria laid out in the rules thread, this had no reason to pass - I wouldn't call one classified buyer "overwhelming support" - and there's already a classified seller for 1 key flat.

I would suggest, that no >5% change should be accepted at all without a significant written justification from the suggester. Seems easy enough.

(P.S. I don't mean to pick on you Mopcko I love you really <3)

3. Show badges of suggester on comments.

Comments are for giving feedback. And that's great. But as Jacob highlighted recently, quite often people give bad advice, which can mislead suggesters and that's no good.
Now, I'm not saying this would be foolproof, and this isn't intended as self-embiggening or anything, but, more experienced suggesters are more likely to know about suggestions, right? So, if belts, or maybe accepted suggestions, were displayed under a commenter's comments, suggesters can choose who they're more inclined to take advice from.

There was another one but I've forgotten it. Watch this space!
Let it ride.

So after 1,700 suggestions I like to think I know my way around a suggestion. So here's some ideas. There are many others like them but these ones are mine.

1. Require proof for certain non-unusual suggestions.

2. FIX THE 5% RULE

For #1, sales for a lot of those items are both less frequent than for unusuals and harder to find because there is no premium search available. On a lot of those kinds of items, one documented sale comes along every month or so. SCM is factored in much more strongly in those situations and if there is just 1 sale, it's a rare item, and if SCM supports, it will be accepted.

For #2, the example you gave is one where the change is 5%, so it meets the criteria. The "5% rule" was made to avoid dumb changes like 10 ref to 10.11 ref. Sometimes the mean is changing less than 5% but the range is changing more dramatically. Sometimes it's changing from 21 keys to 20 keys or 9.66 ref to 9.33 ref. I don't really have an issue with either of those changes. We made it clear that it's not a hard "rule" and that "If the change is less than 5%, you can make the suggestion but you must provide a rationale for why the change is needed."

For #1, sales for a lot of those items are both less frequent than for unusuals and harder to find because there is no premium search available. On a lot of those kinds of items, one documented sale comes along every month or so. SCM is factored in much more strongly in those situations and if there is just 1 sale, it's a rare item, and if SCM supports, it will be accepted.

No, no, I think you've missed my point.

Both of those suggestions closed because the sales weren't just for the listed B/O.

So for a, say, 2 ref hat, if it was listed as selling for 2 ref and changed owner, it's okay to assume it sold for 2 ref.

For a 20 key hat, if it was listed as selling for 20 keys, you can't just assume it sold for 20 keys, and those suggestions demonstrate that.

As per your second point, that's great and all,I understand that, but it would still make sense for it to be necessary for the suggester to provide rationale to justify a suggestion that is less than 5%. That in itself would help prevent the unnecessary suggestions because a suggestion that can't be rationalised is clearly unnecessary.

The "5% rule" was made to avoid dumb changes like 10 ref to 10.11 ref."

Is 1 key to 1.05 key not a dumb suggestion? It is so pointless.

Is 1 key to 1.05 key not a dumb suggestion? It is so pointless.

Blame the keys being closer to 20 ref. There was nothing I could do.  Â¯\_(ツ)_/¯  If I made it 1,1 keys that would be 1 keys + 2 ref. And I found 2 month unsold at that price. So it was better to make it 1,05 or keep it 1 key..

Gent always didn't liked my suggestions. </3 Rip. And fyi black belts also make mistakes. We are humans, not robots. Also, how could I knew that the seller sold for 4,3 keys when he/she listed it for 6 keys? I mean, cmon, who would do such a thing... That's zero logic here. Maybe tf2 logic is just no logic at all.

Both of those suggestions closed because the sales weren't just for the listed B/O.

I see what you're saying. I mean, new suggesters make mistakes on unusual suggestions, and there are people who make suggestions using b/os for unusuals. We don't ban them for that just like we wouldn't ban people for making these kinds of suggestions. It's up to the mod assessing it to double check, and it helps when the community takes a look at them as well.

I agree with all except #2, the 5% rule should be a case-by-case thing rather than a hard rule

so like this: http://backpack.tf/vote/id/55ff15e7b98d880c768b460fviolates the 5% rule, but I wouldn't necessarily call it a meaningless change

I can add some other examples, where it was less than 5% but a change was needed:

http://backpack.tf/vote/id/55f92637b98d8898328b457b

http://backpack.tf/vote/id/5603fa8db98d88eb278b45b3

I agree with 1. Require proof for certain non-unusual suggestions. and maybe 3. Show badges of suggester on comments.

I see what you're saying. I mean, new suggesters make mistakes on unusual suggestions, and there are people who make suggestions using b/os for unusuals. We don't ban them for that just like we wouldn't ban people for making these kinds of suggestions. It's up to the mod assessing it to double check, and it helps when the community takes a look at them as well.

Yes, that's fair, I'd just like that to be implicated within the rules to cut down on this kind of mistake :3

I agree with all except #2, the 5% rule should be a case-by-case thing rather than a hard rule

so like this: http://backpack.tf/vote/id/55ff15e7b98d880c768b460fviolates the 5% rule, but I wouldn't necessarily call it a meaningless change

(Gross double-post, I know, but bleh)

That suggestion was fine because you justified it. I don't want the 5% rule to be a hard rule in itself, I want a hard rule to be attached to it that mandates a validation of the suggestion. You had one, so you were fine.

Archived