Looking to enter tf2 at a competitive stance.

Mr. Cat

Can someone please tell me where I should start, I would like to main engineer and would like to see if there are any competitive teams/seasons fit for me.

Play HL, of course.

Start off on TF2center until the season starts, use mumble, communicate and maybe have "LFT engineer" in your name. If you are any good, people will most likely ask you to trial since engineers are usually in demand.

You can also go on UGC or ETF2L(in europe) to make a recruitment post. State your past experience and what you are looking for. I suggest starting with the lowest division in ETF2L, and with no higher than steel in UGC.

there's a subreddit for finding a competitive team, one of my good friends has used it to find a highlander team in the past week.

I can also check if my team is looking for an engi :< we do highlander in the UGC leagues

http://www.ugcleague.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?159-TF2-Highlander

You can post an lft thread there, and also view teams that are looking for players. Try not to make your lft thread cringy. Assuming you're not awful at the game, and since its engi, you could probably start in steel (avoid iron if you can, its pretty much a shitfest of people who dont know what they're doing and I dont even think you get a participation badge any more). As mentioned above, put lft in your name, you might actually get picked up in pubs believe it or not.

Last but not least, playing some tf2center lobby's is sortaaaaaa useful (at least for getting yourself out there), in general they're pretty cancerous though and arent a good representation of what competitive tf2 is like.

My suggestion is to not do lobbies considering they're more of an organized pub than anything else. In order to improve your mechanical skills in tf2, I suggest you'd Dm mod, mge, and learn to jump (jumping carries over to every class). In order to improve things like game sense, you'll have to play in a competitive setting (try newbie mixes) Tf.tf is a great place to learn about competitive btw. If you decide to do ugc, I suggest that you don't waste your time in iron and move directly to steel

TF2Center lobbies are cancer, is there any alternative? I'm a scout looking to get into comp tf2

Scout will be a lot harder to find a team for. Scout, Spy, Sniper and Solly are all pretty popular classes and lots of teams already have those slots filled, so you'll have a lot of competition if you main Scout. Mitten's post is on spot. DM, MGE, etc, and find places to play PUGs or  newbie mixes with more serious players. Make it clear you're looking for a team with your user name, create a recruitment thread and contact teams, and eventually you'll get picked up somewhere.

Also, as general advice, I'd recommend subbing for a team if you can't find an open main slot. Subs don't play as often as the main player, but it's a great way to get your foot in the door and get a feeling for being on a real team. You may also be able to get recs from your team later on when you want to become a main on another team. 

TF2Center lobbies are cancer, is there any alternative? I'm a scout looking to get into comp tf2

Eh. even tho TF2C lobbies are cancer they are a general guideline to check how good you are for newer comp players. Most people in TF2C lobbies are steel/iron and sometimes silver. If you think you're absolutely rekking all the nerds in lobbies then you could try joining a HL team. If you're really looking to get into comp then feel free to add me, I played UGC gold as scout. I can mentor you.

Archived