Wifi is poop. Need Internet Help/Suggestions

Flaim

yo.

My wifi pretty much is like.. unbearable. I can play tf2 sometimes, but hardly ever can i play csgo without lagging out frequently.

im tired of it.

what kind of speeds do i need to get so that i can play games without my wifi stabbing itself in the fokin face? keep in mind i have 4 siblings, which are on social media, and youtube a lot. so what kind of speeds do i need to be able to run my game, and their social media?

current ookla speedtest

2d25aaf1e7885c3a379c64f8eda1749b.jpg

I dont live in a big city, so a lot of wifi providers arent gonna be available. i dont live in the sticks or anything, but its a small town.

tldr what kind of speeds do i need so that i can play games without lagging out or just lagging in general so damn much? (also have like 3-4 siblings on wifi often)

There is no specific speed you need for gaming. 

The better question is, what kind of speeds do you pay for, and what kind of speeds do you get when EVERYONE else is off the network, and the only thing on the network is a computer running a speedtest.

There is no specific speed you need for gaming. 

The better question is, what kind of speeds do you pay for, and what kind of speeds do you get when EVERYONE else is off the network, and the only thing on the network is a computer running a speedtest.

Atm the wifi bill is around 100/mo. When every single device besides mine is off the wifi I can play tf2 pretty good, dont have an exact speedtest tho. guess ill need to do one next time im the only one on.

Atm the wifi bill is around 100/mo. When every single device besides mine is off the wifi I can play tf2 pretty good, dont have an exact speedtest tho. guess ill need to do one next time im the only one on.

Just kick everyone off and run a test. 

Fellow ATT Uverse user, I feel your pain.

Unfortunately there isn't much you can actually do but get a better plan as far as I know. Unless you wanna be a dick and block out your siblings' devices via mac filtering. That works too.

I was told that it can also be your router. You should probably post it and someone can give you advice on that. idk

Fellow ATT Uverse user, I feel your pain.

Unfortunately there isn't much you can actually do but get a better plan as far as I know. Unless you wanna be a dick and block out your siblings' devices via mac filtering. That works too.

I was told that it can also be your router. You should probably post it and someone can give you advice on that. idk

I THINK my router is fine.. its the Nighthawk AC1900:

http://www.cnet.com/products/netgear-nighthawk-ac1900-smart-wi-fi-router-r7000/

QOS is your friend

Either set gaming to the highest priority and everything else to one notch below that, or give your MAC address the highest priority and everyone else one below that. 

ooooo sounds like a plan, ill check up on those

Try a VPN. Betternet vpn is a fairly good one. All VPNs do is change your location and boost your internet speed up. Of course if your wifi is fast enough though it'll slow it down. Try it first though.

Try a VPN. Betternet vpn is a fairly good one. All VPNs do is change your location and boost your internet speed up. Of course if your wifi is fast enough though it'll slow it down. Try it first though.

since when does using a VPN increase internet speeds...

• 2 weeks later...

I'm actually very confused because OP just said the bill is around 100 bucks a month but didn't state any download and upload speeds that him and the ISP agreed upon. If you plan goes up to something like 6 Mbps then that's what you're going to get. I've noticed ATT's internet/networking plans aren't very competitive at all. Low speeds, bandwidth caps, and 1 year contracts. Might want to look around and see what other ISP's are available in your area.

since when does using a VPN increase internet speeds...

Alright some of the stuff shiro said is true. Yes a VPN will alter your location it does this by sending your traffic to another server in whichever location then sending it to the host, the boosting your internet speeds is a hit or miss. If your ISP is playing with your internet traffic say high bandwidth services like 1080p YouTube are unusually slow. With a VPN and the proper encryption settings the ISP won't be able to see where your data is going. So they might not send your traffic "down the same congested tube" since they can't tell it's a high bandwidth service by looking at your traffic, but should be able to tell by usage consumption. Although I'm pretty sure using a VPN on Team Fortress 2 is against the Steam EULA. If it alters your location I believe. A VPN will only increase internet speeds if your ISP is being dirty. Athough on TF2 a VPN should really only increase latency as in higher ping since your data is traveling increased distances.

VPN's are also for encryption.

I'm actually very confused because OP just said the bill is around 100 bucks a month but didn't state any download and upload speeds that him and the ISP agreed upon. If you plan goes up to something like 6 Mbps then that's what you're going to get. I've noticed ATT's internet/networking plans aren't very competitive at all. Low speeds, bandwidth caps, and 1 year contracts. Might want to look around and see what other ISP's are available in your area.

newfag why u necro a thread.

Archived