Tiered cosmetics. A good idea?

(ง ͠° ͟ل ͡°)ง

In my opinion, it gives people an excuse to overvalue their hats. In all seriousness, people aren't gonna be paying over 20 keys for normal cosmetic. I know, there will always be 'hype buying' but they would be way, way less than what they are now if valve didn't tier them. The two highest tier hats are the most desirable meaning a very high price, I am interested to see what the banana and cardbeard drop to in a few weeks.

(I am salty because I want one but I ain't paying £40 for a banana or a piece of cardboard)

(I am salty because I want one but I ain't paying £40 for a banana or a price of cardboard)

What do you mean tiered? I still don't understand lol

Gun Mettle Cosmetics Collection

Captain Cardbeard Cutthroat

Potassium Bonnett

El Duderino

Sheriff's Stetson

Bruce's Bonnet

Fortunate Son

Outta' Sight

The Physician's Protector

White Russian

The Rotation Sensation

Flak Jack

Support Spurs

The Vascular Vestment

Wild West Waistcoat

Lurker's Leathers

Commissar's Coat

Shrek's Love

Awful idea.

No reason why one cosmetic from the same crate should be worth wayy more then a regular cosmetic unless it's visibly more attractive. Just an excuse to highball. 

Unless the red line cosmetics have a lower drop rate. But still I think it's a bad idea. 

I don't like it, most of all because now cosmetics can come in purple and not be unusual.

Yeah this. Keeps making me do double takes, even with just plain weapons. Unusuals are purple, have been purple, should be purple. Purple is the colour of unusual text, and now Valve is changing it all around.

Gun Mettle Cosmetics Collection
Captain Cardbeard Cutthroat
Potassium Bonnett
El Duderino
Sheriff's Stetson
Bruce's Bonnet
Fortunate Son
Outta' Sight
The Physician's Protector
White Russian
The Rotation Sensation
Flak Jack
Support Spurs
The Vascular Vestment
Wild West Waistcoat
Lurker's Leathers
Commissar's Coat
Shrek's Love

how much for Shrek's love?

I don't like the idea either but I have to say the banana and the pirate beard are better looking than the umpteenth battle medic hat. So tiers kinda matter

I don't like the idea either but I have to say the banana and the pirate beard are better looking than the umpteenth battle medic hat. So tiers kinda matter

Yeah, medic keeps getting fucked over with his hats. The most popular medic hat is the Tyrolean as opposed to the 2,085 other WURD WUR BERTTE MERDIC OMG shitty hats in the game, yet people keep making these bad helmets instead of a nice classy hat. I'm getting real tired of it. They either look like penis hat or turtle scrotum.

Arent there also wear patterns on cosmetics (factory new, minimal wear, etc)?

There are, but it is clearly a bug. While I uncrated a hat from the newest crate, it displayed as Factory New, but after that the wear tag disappears.

The only thing I can figure to try and reason this decision is that the tiers for the hats may indicate their drop rates expected from the crate (reds lower drop rate, blues more common etc), but other than that I find the idea of tiering them somewhat unnecessary and really, really confusing. Up until the gun mettle update a majority of players would identify certain colours with certain qualities: Purple for unusual, orange for strange, yellow for unique and so forth. It's how tf2 had taught us to identify items of different qualities. But now with the introduction of the gun mettle qualities, players are now gonna have to basically forget the previous colouring system since now the new colouring system conflicts with the old one, which is really annoying; it's basically like what happened when ammo drops were changed. We were taught that dropped weapon = ammo, so when that rule changed, it took a lot of players some time to forget it since, even though you know the old rule no longer applies, subconsciously you still follow it since you are used to doing it for so long.

Unless the red line cosmetics have a lower drop rate. But still I think it's a bad idea.

That's literally the reason the tiers are there, because of the drop rate, its not just pointless colors lmao

That's literally the reason the tiers are there, because of the drop rate, its not just pointless colors lmao

The problem with that is that we already had lower drop rates in other crates. It's just known you're more likely to get a useless weapon or cosmetic over, say, a  higher tier strange or a paint. Why bother putting in extra colors that conflict with the already established colors for item qualities? 

Imo its just useless at best and annoying at worst. Can't wait to hear about some kid getting sharked because they were told that a purple grade hat was an unusual. 

Tiered cosmetics are a horrid idea, since a lot of people prefer the lower tier cosmetics over the banana and cardbeard.

They should have just made a regular community crate like the Late Summer, EotL, etc

This really isn't very different from other crates. Some items have lower drop rates than others, they just slapped on a different color and "tier" name. The players will decide the value of the items regardless of the tier, as always.

Archived