So..... NASA just posted this on their website.

Dalex

Nice, 

Aliens n stuff

Asteroids vs Earth

but actually, what happens if NASA finds a potentially hazardous asteroid that can/will SMASH into earth causing a dinosaur wipe-out type of effect? 

Nice,

Aliens n stuff

Asteroids vs Earth

but actually, what happens if NASA finds a potentially hazardous asteroid that can/will SMASH into earth causing a dinosaur wipe-out type of effect?

NASA can only literally sit and wait for human extinction, there are no conceivable ways of stopping an asteroid that devastating only by current human technology.

NASA can only literally sit and wait for human extinction, there are no conceivable ways of stopping an asteroid that devastating only by current human technology.

You could hit it with something and change its course. You could nuke it. You could put a solar sail on it. We've never tried any of these things though.

That's both bleak and incorrect. There's technology in progress that can deal with most, if not all meteor dangers. For small-to-medium size, the U.S. has developed high powered laser systems capable of literally just vaporizing the meteor. And for massive ones, there are researchers currently working on the physics of nuking a meteor to push it out of the way, with computer trials already being successful. Really the only issue with meteors is getting the nukes into space.

You could put a solar sail on it. 

I want to fund NASA's pirate ship meteor program. Seriously though, what does this mean, because it seems incredibly difficult to stick a sail on a meteor.

there's actually going to be the chance of an event happening like that very soon, interesting read about it here: http://neo.jpl.nasa.gov/apophis/which is supposed to come at its closest approach on Friday the 13th :).

Keroro discussed what they're doing with lasers and stuff, but they could also hit the asteroid with a satellite or something which would be easier, since all you have to do is have a minor alteration to its course early on and it won't be even close to us

I would be pretty pissed off if an asteroid smashed into the earth and killed us all. I mean, I'm not afraid to die, and I wouldn't care if I ended my own, but I don't want some damn asteroid to make the choice for me.

there's actually going to be the chance of an event happening like that very soon, interesting read about it here: http://neo.jpl.nasa.gov/apophis/which is supposed to come at its closest approach on Friday the 13th :).

Keroro discussed what they're doing with lasers and stuff, but they could also hit the asteroid with a satellite or something which would be easier, since all you have to do is have a minor alteration to its course early on and it won't be even close to us

Apophis is currently rated at 0 on the Torino scale. It was at one point rated at a 4, but after revaluation was downgraded to 0

Apophis is currently rated at 0 on the Torino scale. It was at one point rated at a 4, but after revaluation was downgraded to 0

I remember reading about it a few years ago, how at some point it was going to pass a place which would determine whether or not it would collide with earth. I assume it missed that spot so it's no longer a threat, but it's still supposed to pass close-by

That's both bleak and incorrect. There's technology in progress that can deal with most, if not all meteor dangers. For small-to-medium size, the U.S. has developed high powered laser systems capable of literally just vaporizing the meteor. And for massive ones, there are researchers currently working on the physics of nuking a meteor to push it out of the way, with computer trials already being successful. Really the only issue with meteors is getting the nukes into space.

I want to fund NASA's pirate ship meteor program. Seriously though, what does this mean, because it seems incredibly difficult to stick a sail on a meteor.

Current lasers cannot deal with apocalyptic level asteroids, they would just evaporate a tiny part of them. And yes im aware that nasa is researching towards altering the trials of asteroids but i was talking about if asteroids are hitting the earth these days, like in a few years or a decade, theres no way we can stop it.

Current lasers cannot deal with apocalyptic level asteroids, they would just evaporate a tiny part of them. And yes im aware that nasa is researching towards altering the trials of asteroids but i was talking about if asteroids are hitting the earth these days, like in a few years or a decade, theres no way we can stop it.

how we would deal with impending asteroid collisions varies based on when we detect it. With the current level of NEO detection, it's almost impossible that an asteroid which could destroy the planet would get anywhere near us without somebody noticing

what about that mile long meteor or asteroid thats all over the news 

"omg new update about mile meteor on september 22nd or 23rd, incoming meteor on the those days omg be prepared"

[Conspiracy Theorist /ON]

Believing NASA and /or the US government has provided true transparency into the technology available to them is laughable.

We 'the people' have NO IDEA the technological advances that are out there and or currently being used.

The billions of dollars a year that go missing from the department of defense aren't going to someone's swiss bank account.

Wish I could find it now but saw some interesting things on 'examples' of current "space defense".

Showing a "UFO" in the earths orbit, something comes firing at it from earth, and it moves out of the way and goes off into space.

DUN DUN DUN!

[Conspiracy Theorist /OFF]

Look at celebrities, pop culture, music and the news nowadays, and tell me you don't think we need a meteor

Gotta agree with that. 

Gotta agree with that. 

So the plan is to alter the meteor's path so it only hits Hollywood? I could live with that.

(Also please hit NJ as well)

Nice, 

Aliens n stuff

Asteroids vs Earth

There aren't any dinosaurs nowadays, so it shouldn't be an issue.

Archived