SCM 200 limit

Jamesheaton

I was wondering if people could tell me if going past the 200 transaction limit and giving away personal info is worth it or if I should just stay below 200. 

I've made the mistake of wasting some of those transactions on cheap stranges ://

Edit: by worth it I mean worth giving away personal information 

No from the FAQ I read earlier today it is 200. I can't tell if you're referencing to the amount of trades I have done, but  the majority of my trades are buys or are off SCM anyways

The way they word it sounds like you could potentially go over the 200 sale limit, depending on what you're selling. Either way giving out the kind of information they would ask for is just totally not worth it for any kind of money.

The 200 limit is how many items you can SELL in a calendar year (starting from Jan 1st until Dec 31st), so any purchases you've made do not count to the limit.

Unless you live in the "land of freedom" (murrica), nobody will check the personal info, so you can just type random names and adresses like i did.

The 200 limit is how many items you can SELL in a calendar year (starting from Jan 1st until Dec 31st), so any purchases you've made do not count to the limit.

This

Although you can fill out a tax info form in order to list more (or did they change that?)

This

Although you can fill out a tax info form in order to list more (or did they change that?)

For US Residents, you have to provide your full legal name, your address, your SSN, and other personal information. Non-US Residents have to fill out a third-party identification form of basically the same thing.

I think it is something related to the IRS if you live in USA or you are a US citizen living abroad.

Since I am french, I filled in the form, IMO they don't care about me at all.

I no longer have limits on SCM and I can trade as much as want, and it totally worth the 2 minutes to fill in the form.

If you sell 200 items in one calendar year, steam will ask you for your personal info. If then, after providing the info, you sell enough items on the market for the gross sales to exceed 20,000 USD, steam will submit your information to the IRS, and the IRS will try to tax you for those sales.

Since I buy and sell knives on the market, I probably make at most 8-10 percent on every sale. And that means on 20 grand, I'm only making maybe 1600-2000 dollars. Steam will want at least the base rate of 15%, so theyll ask for like 3000 dollars in taxes, and that will put me in the negative. So as an american citizen, I have to avoid going over. At least, that's how I understand it. 

If I ever hit the limit, I guess I'll use an alt under a VPN and just be careful about it, because the government is greedy.

If you sell 200 items in one calendar year, steam will ask you for your personal info. If then, after providing the info, you sell enough items on the market for the gross sales to exceed 20,000 USD, steam will submit your information to the IRS, and the IRS will try to tax you for those sales.

Since I buy and sell knives on the market, I probably make at most 8-10 percent on every sale. And that means on 20 grand, I'm only making maybe 1600-2000 dollars. Steam will want at least the base rate of 15%, so theyll ask for like 3000 dollars in taxes, and that will put me in the negative. So as an american citizen, I have to avoid going over. At least, that's how I understand it. 

If I ever hit the limit, I guess I'll use an alt under a VPN and just be careful about it, because the government is greedy.

If you actually hit the gross sales limit. How much % tax will you have to pay to IRS. 15% is obviously for steam.I heard punishment for avoiding tax is much more worse than killing someone in US

thats not a good idea...

well are you Amurican?if so use alts to bypass it.if not then just fill the form and nobody will bother you with it.

well are you Amurican?if so use alts to bypass it.if not then just fill the form and nobody will bother you with it.

Alts dont work

Alts dont work

I thought it only didn't work for you because you used some sort of bot that auto purchased certain tiems on the scm, so valve trade banned your ip?

I thought it only didn't work for you because you used some sort of bot that auto purchased certain tiems on the scm, so valve trade banned your ip?

wtf does being trade banned have to do with bypassing the 200 listing limit? you dont get extra listings by making new accounts.

Alts dont work

I trade from more than just 1 account on the market.I am not american though  how come they don't work?

I trade from more than just 1 account on the market.I am not american though  how come they don't work?

you can use a alt but it doesnt give 200 more trades

wtf does being trade banned have to do with bypassing the 200 listing limit? you dont get extra listings by making new accounts.

you get 200 extra listing on the new account... trolling or what?

duh did you expect to get 200 extra listings for every new account you made?

why would anyone thought of that anyway.it does not make sense.

you get to your limit you make a new account and start selling

then repeat.this is common knowledge.

First, I would never give Valve (or any company for that matter) my SSN unless I absolutely have to (i.e. if I have to rent a car, take a loan from a bank for a house, etc.) You can't trust anyone to keep your SSN secure forever, especially in this day and age. You may not be buying houses or cars now, but your SSN is going to be the same when you are old enough to buy those things and you don't want it floating out there.

IRS doesn't give a shit about a few hundred dollars. This whole community listing thing is something Valve did to cover their asses so that they aren't targeted by the IRS. IRS won't give a shit about people with incomes under $5000 selling stuff for steam wallet money to buy games or items, which is what the vast majority of steam users do.

Not saying I do it myself or that I endorse making alts to bypass the 200 market limit - in fact Valve explicitly says not to - but I'm pretty sure IF you did do this you get 200 more trading slots. I mean, what if you have a family member sharing IPs with you who wants to use SCM. Valve cannot limit that based on IPs, and they have better things to do with their time than to go around hunting people's alts. Alts will be a problem only if you are participating in shady activity and you get reported.

you get 200 extra listing on the new account... trolling or what?

Yeah, maybe he's trolling. You're right.

Archived