A Theoretical International Government

The Penguins

I'm interested to see what your answers are going to be like. Anyways, if the world ever came together under a single national government, what currently existing government would you like to see implemented? It can also be a blend of governments 

UN UN UN

jk, un can't do anything.

I don't think a single international government could work. Too many conflicting ideas. I suppose a representative democracy, but I don't see how it could work. Perhaps a dictatorship with a massive bureaucracy and military presence, but most people wouldn't want that

I suppose a huge representative government, but having an international government would be impractical and cause so much conflict

e.g. A bill is passed after all other countries have voted. The tally is 49/51 - so it wins. Countries who opposed the bill will get angry and form alliances to fight off anyone who voted for the bill

And so, a huge global war is begun

With somethings as scary as nuclear weapons and such out there, this would clearly not be a wise option, if I know anything about the ways of humans

Perhaps a dictatorship with a massive bureaucracy and military presence, but most people wouldn't want that

I don't think having a literal ruler of the world would be a good thing. It would be scary asf and nobody would feel safe, even with a massive govt.

No man should have that power

There's so many differences between individual governments and nations right now that it would be pretty much impossible to unify everyone under a central power.

Sadly, this means that star trek's never gonna happen.

International trade already forms the basis of a world economy.  That's where the real power is anyway.  Access to key resources, key products, and the accumulation of wealth through trade for those who hold and control the rights to these things.  Governments are only representatives who act on behalf of the population, but when they are full of corruption, the wealthy simply buy them off to represent their own interests first.

Individual governments are better suited to cater to their own populations and/or the interests of their wealthy elites.  A truly powerful centralized world government would probably make the process of governance radically inefficient as the posturing and squabbling from across the world overcomplicates and endlessly slows progress, and the competition over the purchasing of favors from its representatives might be so vicious and obscene that it could be potentially disastrous for everyone.

IMO, the world just isn't ready for it yet.  If we could get rid of the class system and eliminate the need to struggle for food and shelter worldwide, thereby eliminating poverty and corporate domination while expanding personal liberty, then MAYBE we'd be ready for a world government.  That would be a technological utopia the likes of which was dreamed up for Star Trek.

How about a multi-layered system?

Based on democracy, but instead of making decisions, their only task is to select doctors/professors/... who are assigned to deal with problems.

I mean, if we're talking globally, how bouat we start with a requirement: the minister of economy has a PhD in economy. Charisma is important on getting elected - but much less when it comes to decision making

It would work if we are all connected via land and our society's systems aren't that established, like reset everything to stone age or something. Else considering most of the countries have their own entrenched cultures and systems, probably there will be a large number of rebels etc.

Archived