Fun places to visit in New York?

Cave

My family is going to New York in a few,

we are gonna go to some places in New York since ever family member which is going along with us is going to chose where we are going everyday our family made up a system.

We are going with 5 to New York, for every day one of us gets to say where we go.

And that's when backpack.tf helps me in! I don't New York for one bit, so if anybody can suggest some places to go to i'll be pleased! Thx, TheProcave. Still not banned.

1. Where are you coming from? I need some reference if you're coming from like, overseas.

2. You probably mean the city, but to make sure, are you going to New York City or anywhere in the state?

1. Where are you coming from? I need some reference if you're coming from like, overseas.

2. You probably mean the city, but to make sure, are you going to New York City or anywhere in the state?

1. Belgium.

2. Yep, the City only.

Visit all the touristy places: Statue of Liberty, top of the Empire State building, central park is sorta just a park, nothing too great. Times Square is cool. Take a stroll down Broadway. Make sure to stay mostly in Manhattan, cuz the rest of the city for the most part isnt cool or is dangerous.

Have you or your family ever been to the U.S./New York before?

Nope. My dad has been, but only for a meeting with Best Western and for some other (bussiness trips). The rest i believe not.

tbh I wouldn't go to the empire state building, it was like a 3 hour line and the view isn't that great

times square is fun but really crowded

If you're into that kind of stuff the museums are lovely places, especially the art museums.

If you want a terrifying view of the city go on the observation platform of the One World Trade Center.

• Administrators

Empire state building is kinda cool (and significantly less busy) if you go up at night, I think. Wouldn't even bother with the lines in the middle of the day.

My fave thing I did last time I was there was see the bodies exhibit and this dialogue in the dark thing, was really cool.

That and eat out every meal.

And ignore the dude who said everywhere outside of manhatten is boring or dangerous, that's just silly talk, though if you're only there for like a week or something then manhatten has more than enough stuff to do. My grandma lives in harlem, and I always stay with her when I'm there, and there's a lot of cool shit there, loads of great places to eat that aren't horrifically overpriced, etc. Brooklyn has a ton of stuff to do also.

time's square is pretty fuckin cool. climbing to the top of the Statue of Liberty also gives you a pretty nice view and a leg workout.

• Administrators

Time's square is just like... shops and crap isn't? Like I guess it's visually cool seeing the lights but doesn't that get old pretty quick?

If you're into that kind of stuff the museums are lovely places, especially the art museums.

If you want a terrifying view of the city go on the observation platform of the One World Trade Center.

Definitely check out some of the museums. Smithsonian, Holocaust, That one Space museum next to the Smithsonian, just to name a few. When i was there we actually didn't go to any art museums, though I'm sure they are great. I'll have to check that out next time.

If you wish to go to the top of the Statue of Liberty, make sure you Reserve it first on the internet. I went there once with my family, but only the people that reserved before on the internet can go up. Who didn't can still go to the island, but can't get a wonderful view.

Central Park is also nice, and huge. Make sure you don't get lost in there.

Madame tussauds is a very nice museum with many realistic famous people figures.

If you want to buy some eletronics, I recomend the BH Photo Video. The store is extremely huge and has a big variety of products. Here's a Map, I hope this link works https://www.google.com.br/maps/dir/''/bh+photo+video+new+york/@40.7507033,-73.9939162,15z/data=!4m8!4m7!1m0!1m5!1m1!1s0x89c259b23ddddd23:0xb0dc42ba2848322!2m2!1d-73.9962202!2d40.752877

Visit all the touristy places: Statue of Liberty, top of the Empire State building, central park is sorta just a park, nothing too great. Times Square is cool. Take a stroll down Broadway. Make sure to stay mostly in Manhattan, cuz the rest of the city for the most part isnt cool or is dangerous.

You speak from what knowledge? I mean, I wouldn't suggest a touristy stroll through some of the shadier parts of Queens or Harlem, but the city isn't that dangerous if you know what you're doing. And as for cool, that's bullshit. Every burrow has something to offer, you just need to know where to look. (Although for me, I commute into the city everyday for high school, so it has lost a little bit of that "magic" lol)

On to the actual sites to see:

-The Empire State Building is pretty neat, but the lines are often killer, it's rather pricey, and it can eat up a good chunk of your day and be a complete waste if it's mildly overcast or worse. 

-The Statue of Liberty is always an iconic tourist hotspot, but it's also insanely crowded and really, really long. Between security checkpoints and waiting to be shuttled over, it will also take up most of your day.

-Times Square is neat, but as Tiny correctly noted, it's really just overpriced stores that can be found anywhere else and be a lot cheaper (Except for the M&M store, which is kinda cool). So while the atmosphere is pretty cool, it gets boring quickly not to mention the crowds are literally hell on earth. 

- The Intrepid is really sweet. Especially now that they have the shuttle, which I really need to go check out myself. In case you don't know, the Intrepid is basically a massive aircraft-carrier turned musuem.

- Nearby Intrepid is the Javits center- check to see if there are any events going on the day you go to the Intrepid if you go, and you might be in for a car show or something of the sort at the Javits.

- And farther south from the Javits is Chelsea Piers, with that famous Dave and Busters. Might be nice to check it all out.

-Central Park is actually a nice spot to hit, you can walk around, and it's just generally nice. Not a lot to do, but it's still beautiful in many spots like the Great Lawn.

-And if you do hit Central Park and you're in the middle of it (84th or so) you can visit the Met, which is really, really cool. Lot to see there, and still can be done easily in 2 hours.

-There's also the Museum of Natural History and the Guggenheim closeby to the Met.

-Several people have mentioned Tussaud's, and it is a cool place to visit. Plus it can be done in an hour, so it won't suck up your day.

-If you're looking for a substitute or just nice addition to Times Square, the nearby Rockefeller Center (The place with the iconic ice-skating rink) is a great place. Plus, it has a Nintendo, Poptart, and Lego store, so really its pretty great.

-You'll probably end up in Grand Central at one point or another, but if not make sure to go there and stand and stare at the ceiling for long periods of time to annoy commuters. It's like a initiation or something I think. But seriously, take a moment to check it out if you're there. It's really nice.

Now, it's very important to cluster things. Some forumers have been suggesting places across the entire island, and that's just not smart. You need to plan this out well, but acknowledge there will be an excessive amount of walking. Just enjoy the walk.

1 Day: Empire State Building, Times Square, Madam Tussaud, Rockefeller Center, Grand Central. All of these Central Manhattan stops, and cluster well without making the day too packed as most can be stopped at any time. Obviously the main attractions are Empire and Tussaud, with the two "hotspots" being supplements.

Places to Eat:

- Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde Club. Look it up, very amusing place to eat.

- Magnolia's Bakery. Die for cupcakes and banana pudding.

2 Day: Guggenheim, Central Park, Metropolitan, Museum of Natural History. Pick up a ton of different museums on this day, all of them being very closeby to one another.

Places to Eat:

- I dunno. Maybe make this day be a food truck day and find out some nice ones in Central Park.

3 Day: Statue of Liberty, 9/11 Memorial+One World Trade Center. Even if the memorial doesn't mean much to you, and you can just skip it, I've heard One World boasts an amazing view. Plus, you're a tourist. Might as well do the Statue of Liberty, even if it takes a day.

Places to Eat:

Honestly, I've gone down there once. I really can't recommend anything here.

Also, some basic tips:

- Wear sneakers

- Don't bring a massive backpack- in fact, you should be able to carry everything you need in your pockets

- Don't put your wallet/phone in your back pocket unless you want to also tape a sign to your chest that says "Please steal my stuff :D"

- If using public transportation, especially the convenient subways, pay attention to the signs. And read the map.

- Don't be the idiot tourists who stare up the whole time. You bump into people and inconvenience those who need to move. You can walk slowly to take it all in, but make sure you're not impeding others.

Have fun, NY has a lot to offer if you know what you're doing. Also, research where to eat- it's just as important as where you visit. Enjoy!

I don't know too much about New York but old York's a pretty nice place if you ever end up there.

I HIGHLY recommend ordering some Cheese-steaks from Shorty's. They are the best cheese-steaks I've ever had.  

Archived