Advice for Team Fortress 2 Trading

Hexlicious

This idea randomly came to mind while I was writing in a "if paint adds value" topic, would be interesting to see what the people of the forum consider good advice of trading, what you should or shouldn't do.

Below are two sections of advice, one for the serious and one for more joking around, will add what you guys come up with whenever I have the chance, have fun.

Serious Advice Mark your post as serious in the first sentence.

1. Don't make an offer than you are "hesitant" about.
  2. When it's too good to be true, it probably is, proceed with caution.
  3. Always read trade notes thoroughly.
  4. Do not add a person that specifically states they do not wish to be added.
  5. Respect peoples prices, don't talk down on someone for asking a price you do not agree with.
  6. Put yourself in the shoes of the seller, only offer if you're confident.
  7. Remember to always check a persons reputation, to avoid getting yourself in trouble.
  8. Consider every offer, don't set yourself a ridiculous price and get stuck for weeks with the same item.
  9. Be polite and respectful, there is a person behind that computer screen.
  10. Respect peoples time and don't leave someone hanging in a situation that could be over quickly.
  11. When on a trading server, don't have a private backpack, otherwise get out.
  12. Always have a ballpark for people to offer.
  13. Avoid offering items to a person specifically asking for pure only.
  14. Never settle for less, always try for more if the opportunity is there.
  15. Do not undercut a different user, simply in order to sell your item quicker, you're just going in minus, which is never good.
  16. If a comment you're about to post is not necessary and considered spam, simply don't post it.
  17. When offering items to a user, remember to overpay, otherwise you just look like a douche.
  18. Don't attempt to fool anyone in to thinking your item is higher value than it actually is. 
  19. .....

Joke Advice Mark your post as joke in the first sentence.

1. Don't take pixels too seriously.

Serious: Don't make an offer than you are "hesitant" about, either offer or don't waste my time with "i'm not sure" or "gimme a day to think"

Joke: Don't be serious, it is just pixel trading :P

iunno i'll come up with things later

Serious stuff:

• If people tell you not to add them, don't add them! By doing so, you're disrespecting their desire to minimize social interaction, and odds are both you and them will have an unpleasant time.

• Don't offer to buy people's unusuals at quicksell price on their trades! If they wanted to quicksell anything, they'd have done it a long time ago, hence the "quick" in quicksell.

• Highballing your stuff only attracts people who also highball their stuff.

• Lowballing on people's stuff only attracts bad vibes.

• Whenever you offer on ANYTHING, put yourself in the shoes of the person whose stuff you're offering on. Do you believe there is a chance they'd take your offer? If not, you're better off not offering at all.

• Bad offers are not only a waste of time, but a false hope you give the seller when he sees he has 1 pending trade offer or 1 offer on his OP.

• Remember there is a person behind this backpack full of items you want.

Serious:

Don't waste people's time.

Don't get mad when people decline your offers and vice versa.

DON'T EVER ask a server how much a hat is worth/is this a good trade, if the other person is on that same server.

Don't lowball too much, people see you as a lowballer and won't trade you.

Don't be shady.

Don't spam chat, voice.

Don't talk over others.

DON'T PUT DOWN OTHER PEOPLE, PEOPLE WON'T TRADE WITH YOU IF YOU'RE AN ASSHOLE.

Always check someone's reputation/bans before a trade. 

If you're nice, courteous, and keep your mouth shut unless you're advertising you should be good. 

Serious: Don't make an offer than you are "hesitant" about, either offer or don't waste my time with "i'm not sure" or "gimme a day to think"

Joke: Don't be serious, it is just pixel trading :P

iunno i'll come up with things later

Serious: Personal preference. 

Joke: People make money in tf2 trading :\

When it's too good to be true, it probably is. Proceed with caution,

Advice. op should make an advice list.

Always read trade notes thoroughly.

Politeness costs nothing, exercise it where you can. 

Advice.

Serious stuff:

• If people tell you not to add them, don't add them! By doing so, you're disrespecting their desire to minimize social interaction, and odds are both you and them will have an unpleasant time.

• Don't offer to buy people's unusuals at quicksell price on their trades! If they wanted to quicksell anything, they'd have done it a long time ago, hence the "quick" in quicksell.

• Highballing your stuff only attracts people who also highball their stuff.

• Lowballing on people's stuff only attracts bad vibes.

• Whenever you offer on ANYTHING, put yourself in the shoes of the person whose stuff you're offering on. Do you believe there is a chance they'd take your offer? If not, you're better off not offering at all.

• Bad offers are not only a waste of time, but a false hope you give the seller when he sees he has 1 pending trade offer or 1 offer on his OP.

• Remember there is a person behind this backpack full of items you want.

1. Maybe.

2. It's an offer. Nothing wrong. You'll never know if someone would consider the quicksell offer since it usually with pure.

3. Nope.

4. Nope. Same as 2.

5. That does not work. What if I wanted your Aussy weapons for my unusual?

6. Nope. 

7. And your point is?

Serious:

Don't waste people's time.

Don't get mad when people decline your offers and vice versa.

DON'T EVER ask a server how much a hat is worth/is this a good trade, if the other person is on that same server.

Don't lowball too much, people see you as a lowballer and won't trade you.

Don't be shady.

Don't spam chat, voice.

Don't talk over others.

DON'T PUT DOWN OTHER PEOPLE, PEOPLE WON'T TRADE WITH YOU IF YOU'RE AN ASSHOLE.

Always check someone's reputation/bans before a trade. 

If you're nice, courteous, and keep your mouth shut unless you're advertising you should be good. 

1. Advice.

2. Advice.

3. Advice.

4. Advice.

5. What?

6. Yes.

7. ?

8. Advice.

9. Advice.

Serious: Like the sniper in the video "Meet the Sniper", be polite, be efficient. Being polite can earn you lots of rep from multiple traders and being efficient maximises the profit you make. In other terms, give up a hat/unusual when you need to! Don't just sit there putting your overpriced B/O if it's not sold for weeks or months.

Serious: Personal preference. 

Joke: People make money in tf2 trading :\

Advice. op should make an advice list.

Advice.

1. Maybe.

2. It's an offer. Nothing wrong. You'll never know if someone would consider the quicksell offer since it usually with pure.

3. Nope.

4. Nope. Same as 2.

5. That does not work. What if I wanted your Aussy weapons for my unusual?

6. Nope. 

7. And your point is?

1. Advice.

2. Advice.

3. Advice.

4. Advice.

5. What?

6. Yes.

7. ?

8. Advice.

9. Advice.

1, Maybe? How, maybe? There are only two possible outcomes to this solution:

• I do not want you to add me, and I ignore your add.

• I do not want you to add me, but I accept your add. There is a reason as to why I do not want you to add me, and odds are I'll act unpleasant and lack courtesy, which will in turn upset you.

2. It is wrong lol. It's like saying people would consider a dirt cheap price JUST BECAUSE it's in keys. That's not the way it works, unless you can offer better than most quickbuyers, in which case odds are it's not a quicksell.

3. How come? You don't even explain why you disagree with me in half of the cases. If you highball your stuff, nobody with a sane mind will want to trade you for said item. That leaves us with either collectors and equal highballers, the former which aren't dumb and will turn down your attempt to make greedy profit.

4. Your reasoning is, at its core, flawed. Same as 2.

5. How in Jesus' holy name does it not work that way? If you offer an unusual on australiums, it's a waste of time unless 1. the person is interested in unusuals and plays the class for which the unusual exists for or 2. there is considerable overpay that will allow the person to make profit. I'd really love to know what kind of reasoning you followed when you typed this post up; I don't mean to be rude, but do you even think about the fact that many traders actually think about the trades they do, and that it's sometimes not all about the profit?

6. At this point, I'm going to be brutally honest-- if you can't provide me a good explanation as to why you disagree, I honestly can't care less about your opinion, and you should keep it to yourself, because you're making yourself look bad. "Do you believe homosexuality is bad?" "No/Yes." "Why?" "..."

7. My point is that humans have personal motives. I have nothing more to say if you didn't get what I meant.

I get the feeling that you only posted here to be edgy by disagreeing with most people and trying to redefine what they say-- the advice they provide is, for the most part, unsaid rules to correct trading in TF2. If you have nothing of value to add to the conversation, I suggest you don't post in the first place. How is "hurr, this is advice, not rules because I think so based on personal belief" of any relevance to the topic?

1, Maybe? How, maybe? There are only two possible outcomes to this solution:

• I do not want you to add me, and I ignore your add.

• I do not want you to add me, but I accept your add. There is a reason as to why I do not want you to add me, and odds are I'll act unpleasant and lack courtesy, which will in turn upset you.

2. It is wrong lol. It's like saying people would consider a dirt cheap price JUST BECAUSE it's in keys. That's not the way it works, unless you can offer better than most quickbuyers, in which case odds are it's not a quicksell.

3. How come? You don't even explain why you disagree with me in half of the cases. If you highball your stuff, nobody with a sane mind will want to trade you for said item. That leaves us with either collectors and equal highballers, the former which aren't dumb and will turn down your attempt to make greedy profit.

4. Your reasoning is, at its core, flawed. Same as 2.

5. How in Jesus' holy name does it not work that way? If you offer an unusual on australiums, it's a waste of time unless 1. the person is interested in unusuals and plays the class for which the unusual exists for or 2. there is considerable overpay that will allow the person to make profit. I'd really love to know what kind of reasoning you followed when you typed this post up; I don't mean to be rude, but do you even think about the fact that many traders actually think about the trades they do, and that it's sometimes not all about the profit?

6. At this point, I'm going to be brutally honest-- if you can't provide me a good explanation as to why you disagree, I honestly can't care less about your opinion, and you should keep it to yourself, because you're making yourself look bad. "Do you believe homosexuality is bad?" "No/Yes." "Why?" "..."

7. My point is that humans have personal motives. I have nothing more to say if you didn't get what I meant.

I get the feeling that you only posted here to be edgy by disagreeing with most people and trying to redefine what they say-- the advice they provide is, for the most part, unsaid rules to correct trading in TF2. If you have nothing of value to add to the conversation, I suggest you don't post in the first place. How will "hurr, this is advice, not rules because I think so based on personal belief" of any relevance to the topic?

The point I'm making here is that should it be rules?

The point I'm making here is that should it be rules?

Highly discussable-- if it makes trading easier and more pleasant, of course they should be rules. Of course there will never be rules set in stone for TF2 trading, because everyone is different in some way, but these rules (or advice, as you'd like to call them) make TF2 trading generally better.

Serious

* If you are trying to sell something, come online more than once every few weeks for a couple of hours. 

* Be polite. When I trade someone that cannot rightly english, I get pretty pissed. It really puts me of trading someone who uses 'text talk'. Makes them come across as childish and immature.

* DON'T COME TO A TRADE SERVER WITH A PRIVATE BACKPACK.

Don't think that just because you bought something for way too much, other people will.

* Stop sending me group invites. It gets me all exited for nothing.

People that post awful quicksells. 1 key off of backpack.tf price...*cough* Frost *cough*

* Always have a ballpark range for people to offer in. Otherwise you discourage them, as they don't want to overpay massively and you don't want them to lowball.

Highly discussable-- if it makes trading easier and more pleasant, of course they should be rules. Of course there will never be rules set in stone for TF2 trading, because everyone is different in some way, but these rules (or advice, as you'd like to call them) make TF2 trading generally better.

Rules and Advice are different. 

Rules are like this - http://www.tf2outpost.com/rules

Advice is something that you may do so you don't have a shitty time.

Most of the people that are making "Serious" Rules are talking about common decency and advice that only applies in trading sites and steam.

I haven't even seen someone make a rule/fact about tf2 trading. Only that did was Karma Miguel.

I asked for "rules" to be changed to "facts" so people won't get confused. 

Well if someone reads this what I have to say is

DONT buy painted hats and items w/ strange parts for full price.

I will also say if someone wants pure even at a ridiculous price don't offer items

Ur just waisting everyone's time

I changed it to advice instead of rules, rules just sounded cooler :c

Ik. But rules if not followed leads you to getting banned! If some of this advice that people gave you became rules in sites then a third of traders should have been banned a long time ago.  

You should make another thread about tf2 trading. Facts being Gifted unusuals being less, Applied paint being %50 or lower, etc.

When it's too good to be true, it probably is. Proceed with caution,

highly agree on this. happens a lot to people quickbuying as scammers/phishers will be looking to offload their illgotten gains to you for quick pure. I had people offering me quicksells of up to 50% off on a hightier hat. when i tod him i didnt have enough he was willing to do it for all the pure i had. at the time that was 60% off a really good unusual

Serious

1. On a Valve / normal playing server, don't ever try to trade with people - it's a server to play the game, not trade... Often, they don't want to trade. If the trade request was rejected, just move on rather than spamming trade requests.
  2. As well as that, no point to try to advertise on playing servers.
  3. Don't buy stuff higher than backpack.tf price, unless you definitely know you can flip it / there's a high demand.

Tips (advice) to making profit

1. Wanting to buy stuff cheap? Try buying from TF2Vendor.com or =ocu= bots. When buying items worth more than 2 refined, they offer a better discount than that of Scrap.tf. Then, just sell at normal backpack.tf price.
  2. Starting out but don't know where to begin? Buy craft hats at 1.33 refined from | http://steamcommunity.com/id/gamem14945| scrapbank.me |   http://steamcommunity.com/id/hatbank | and then do a 1:1 trade on Scrap.tf for a hat worth 1.66 - 2 refined.
  3. Find it hard to sell an item? If you're really desperate, don't sell to a quick buyer. Trade it on tf2mart.net for craft hats. (worth 3,000 credits or less) Used with tip 2, you'd only lose a maximum of 0.33 refined to a profit of 3 refined. However, just don't always rely on it.
  4. Want to make some Steam wallet money? Don't sell keys. The tax is just unbearable. Buy items from | https://wiki.teamfortress.com/wiki/Smissmas_2014|  https://wiki.teamfortress.com/wiki/Limited_Late_Summer_Pack | and sell them on SCM. You'd often make more than a key's worth in $ / £, without spending more than a key.

Never settle for less, never give more.

Don't be afraid to be social with the people you trade with. Give them advice if they ask, help them sell their items, and maybe just generally chat with them. They might be more likely to look to you when they have something to sell (with low prices?).

You don't have to undercut other people's prices to sell your item. Trading is a competition sometimes. Especially with more expensive items, people tend to shop around and negotiate more.

Archived