The Value of Applied Paint

The Wanderer

Gentlemen, now would be a good time to answer a question about paint.

in your opinion, does paint have any REASONABLE applied value to miscs/hats?

Many people seem to not count paint values, yet painted items are somewhat desirable (in my view.)

Discuss below, thanks.

PS: it appears some people get extra mad about it. 

post-17690-0-40898800-1438166001_thumb.png

I sell painted items at a ~50% paint value, but I never offer painted items to anyone, I only sell them if someone comes to me.

Rule of trading: Offer painted items to someone and you will 9 out of 10 times get blocked.

I sell painted items at a ~50% paint value, but I never offer painted items to anyone, I only sell them if someone comes to me.

Rule of trading: Offer painted items to someone and you will 9 out of 10 times get blocked.

I hope one day, these traders will take a leaf out of your book.

The 50% value of applied paint is more of a guide. 

People will pay what they want for paint. It's either they pay the exact amount, less, or nothing at all for paint.  It all comes to personal preference in painted items and even strange parts. 

Say one guy likes white paint, but hates black. He pays the 50% amount for the white paint or less, but he doesn't pay anything for black paint since he does not like it. Same thing applies for strange parts.

The 50% value of applied paint is more of a guide. 

People will pay what they want for paint. It's either they pay the exact amount, less, or nothing at all for paint.  It all comes to personal preference in painted items and even strange parts. 

Say one guy likes white paint, but hates black. He pays the 50% amount for the white paint or less, but he doesn't pay anything for black paint since he does not like it. Same thing applies for strange parts.

Ah yes, fair enough. I see where this is heading now :D

If you offer me painted stuff, you'd better be overpaying by a large margin; I don't want to spend days reselling your stuff because you were too good to do so.

I value paints at about 1 ref lower than what I can sell them at. Someone overpayed about 30 keys in painted stuff for a 12 key unusual of mine.

50% seems to be a good rule of thumb.  I've noticed that most people charge less than 50% for less desirable paints, whereas popular colors like white or black might add more than 50%.  I'm perfectly ok with this and think it's fair. 

Edit: That being said, when I buy QS cosmetics, I typically value the paint at 0% and only add value for a rather popular color and if the item is an easy sell.

They have a value. Most people know it's just cheaper to buy an item with the paint pre-applied than to buy them separately. Personally, I dont like buying paints with the 50% rule or whatever. If it's a super cheap paint less than a key then I usually won't add at all. If it's something worth more than a key I might add a ref or two. The time it takes to sell painted items usually isn't worth the profit it makes you at the end of the day.

The reason most people don't accept painted items is because painted items are hard to resell. (And the cycle pretty much continues)

The only reason someone will accept a painted item is that they want the paint AND the item together either way, which means they'll be somewhat willing to buy the item and paint separately, but a painted item is (much) cheaper than buying separately (because it will never sell for the item + paint price).

I don't buy painted items because of pretty much the first sentence. And I buy painted items pretty much of the second sentence.

If you actually reported him, thats pretty fucked up. :/

Im really tired of people like you abusing the report feature. You think youre supposed to use it when things dont go your way, and you are SO wrong.

Now that guy has to deal with 10 year olds calling him a scammer because his account will display the message when hes goes into trade (This user has been reported my others for trade scam blahblahblah blullshit)

Good Job.

If you actually reported him, thats pretty fucked up. :/

Im really tired of people like you abusing the report feature. You think youre supposed to use it when things dont go your way, and you are SO wrong.

Now that guy has to deal with 10 year olds calling him a scammer because his account will display the message when hes goes into trade (This user has been reported my others for trade scam blahblahblah blullshit)

Good Job.

He's the one that got reported.

He's the one that got reported.

Welp, messed that up. rip.

But to anyone who thinks its alright to just use the report feature when you dont get your way (as shown in OPs screenshot):

Stop.

The 50% rule doesn't really work anymore though.  The 50% rule mainly applied to Bill's when they were still stable, i.e. before being marketable.  

You can get 50% on certain miscs and hats still, but in my experience, nobody will pay 1 key extra for a black craft hat.   

PS: it appears some people get extra mad about it. 

Both people in that chat are jerks, yikes.

I don't pay extra for paint when people offer painted items to me, but no one's ever gotten mad at me like that. Why not? Because I say "no thanks", or "Thanks, but I'd rather not pay extra for applied paint" rather than declaring that "paint adds no value" which, taken literally, is obviously false--and insulting. Telling them to read outpost notes is also insulting, because you've already taken the time to add them and are speaking with them. Sure they could have read the notes, but you're past that point. It's choice of words more than anything, but it's so easy to just be polite. I see a lot of people who are really rude and then wonder why other people get mad.

• 2 weeks later...

Both people in that chat are jerks, yikes.

I don't pay extra for paint when people offer painted items to me, but no one's ever gotten mad at me like that. Why not? Because I say "no thanks", or "Thanks, but I'd rather not pay extra for applied paint" rather than declaring that "paint adds no value" which, taken literally, is obviously false--and insulting. Telling them to read outpost notes is also insulting, because you've already taken the time to add them and are speaking with them. Sure they could have read the notes, but you're past that point. It's choice of words more than anything, but it's so easy to just be polite. I see a lot of people who are really rude and then wonder why other people get mad.

The thing is, they'll come and argue with me "but your trade notes say so!". How could I not tell them to read the notes (again, carefully)?!

Archived