How to easily perform a background check (rep + dupes)

cares

Background checks still aren't as common as they should be. This guide explains how to do one easily. While you're at it you can also check the duped status of any items you are buying, which is part of 50+ key background checks (you need to examine the item origin)

Prerequisites:

- backpack.tf Enhancement Suite

- Steam setting 'Display Steam URL bar when available' - how to (Steam menu -> Settings)

- (Optional) Enhanced Steam (Cr/FF)

Step 1

a) Background check from the Steam client

Go to the user's profile, then copy the url and paste it in your browser's url bar.

B) Background check from the browser (trade offers etc.)

Go to the user's profile.

Step 2

Investigate their profile (hours in TF2 etc.) If they have a private profile, you should not trade with them.

Step 3

If you have Enhanced Steam installed you can click on the backpack.tf link in the sidebar, otherwise replace "steamcommunity.com" with "backpack.tf" in the url bar. This will bring you to their backpack.

Step 4

Wait for rep.tf bans to load. If there's any, take a look. (red +) Check user's trust if there are any -trusts. If the account is new they shouldn't have just unusuals etc.

Step 5 (dupe and price checking)

If you are doing an extended background check (50+ keys) or you are only trading a single item, check the items' individual histories. Otherwise you can use the dupe-check collection feature.

Here you can also value check the items you are interested in. Unusuals with a warning icon have an outdated price. Use the Unusual and Effect tools to determine a more accurate price according to other priced unusuals.

Step 6 (extended)

Depending on the item value, you should also check for pending SteamRep reports and TF2 Outpost activity. If the user has a lot of unusuals but no Outpost activity, consider not trading with them.

• Like 8

• 3 weeks later...

How do I use the dupe-check collection feature? I selected a few items and scrolled over my account name but that option isn't visible to me. Do I need to do something else? 

• 1 year later...
  • 3 months later...

How do I use the dupe-check collection feature? I selected a few items and scrolled over my account name but that option isn't visible to me. Do I need to do something else? 

You have to download tamper monkey and the script for it

When done you will have the option!

http://forums.backpack.tf/index.php?/topic/36130-backpacktf-enhancement-suite/