Pokemon Mystery Dungeon: Red and Blue Rescue Teams

λngelღмander

I've gained a renewed interest in this generation of the series as a whole, after replaying it personally and watching a lets play, I just had to talk about it.

The main series games are great and all, and battling is fun, but it doesn't come close to actually being the pokemon, like in the rescue team games. As you move throughout a journey in a main series game, you don't really bond with a character, you merely of defeat the evil team, discover their leader isn't really all that bad after all (usually) and save the world. In the rescue team games, you really do bond with the characters. When the sad music comes on, and your character says their time in the pokemon world is done, it is truly a poignant experience. Nothing can bring tears to my eyes like being shunned by your fellow pokemon and forced to escape into the wilderness with little more than the items in your pack and your trusty partner, especially with this music playing.

Unlike other pokemon games, the pokemon mystery dungeon series manages to procure mystery after mystery, it has a deep and progressive plot in every game, and does not get stale. They don't reuse the same themes every time, other than the running away and being a human theme, every game has its own mystery to unravel and a new game mechanic. The music is phenomenal, and most of the characters are dynamic and interesting. The post game is also great, you have more than ten dungeons with 99 floors to visit, and even more mysteries to solve. The games are actually difficult, where normal games are very simple. Grinding isn't the best way to win, strategy is. Being forced to stock up on reviver seeds and link moves and other strategies makes the game that much more fun. There is a host of mechanics, including an economy, teaming up with other pokemon, ranks, et cetera. You can even be a bandit, and fight off hordes of kecleon to the exit if you so choose. 

The music is far superior to that of the main series games, and often it reflects the theme and feel of the dungeon it plays in. Music is great in both the first and the second mystery dungeon generations, but the first is definitely more nostalgic to me. My favorite song comes from PMD1. The series took a steep drop-off with Gates to Infinity, but hopefully it will be made up for by the announced new game, Pokemon Super Mystery Dungeon.

I could go on ad infinitum about the first generation, but I think I've said everything I wanted to. Red rescue team is definitely my favorite game in the series, including the main series.

What about the Gen 4 games, PMD Explorers of Time, Darkness and Sky? The plot is equally interesting as the first two games, the ending is sad as well. Gameplay is good, though I'm kinda bumped that they changed the recruit system since buying Friend Areas (or whatever they were called) and visiting recruited members was part of the fun of recruiting in the original PMD games. As for music, they're good as well. My favorite would be the theme when you face off against Primal Dialga at the end of the main plot.

Unfortunately, I haven't tried PMD Gates to Infinity, so no comment on that, though I'm kinda dissapointed that not all the Pokes would be available in it.

What about the Gen 4 games, PMD Explorers of Time, Darkness and Sky? The plot is equally interesting as the first two games, the ending is sad as well. Gameplay is good, though I'm kinda bumped that they changed the recruit system since buying Friend Areas (or whatever they were called) and visiting recruited members was part of the fun of recruiting in the original PMD games. As for music, they're good as well. My favorite would be the theme when you face off against Primal Dialga at the end of the main plot.

Unfortunately, I haven't tried PMD Gates to Infinity, so no comment on that, though I'm kinda dissapointed that not all the Pokes would be available in it.

Primal dialga remix is easily my second favorite song ever. I like the first games more mainly because of how nostalgic they are to me. They were the first, and they were just done right. I don't think a better game could have been made, starting on an idea like that. Darkness, Time, and Sky were also really great games, and they too transcend the regular games for me, but red and blue rescue team just take the cake. 

Edit: PMD gates to infinity was somewhat lackluster, it had a plot, and you had to run away, but it wasn't very emotional like the other games. It didn't really strike me like the other games did, and it's not just because I'm getting older. It featured some pretty stupid features, and I really didn't like the character choices or the actual in game characters, the NPC's. 

However, it was still a game worth playing. I can't remember much about it now, I would have to play it again to give a definitive rating, but no better than 3.5/5 stars for that one.

I've heard Red and Blue Rescue Teams are a lot harder than PMD: T/D/S, so I would want to try out one of those. Especially how you have to climb fifty floors or something, then fight a giant dragon with lasers coming out of its mouth as a little lizard or mouse. And if you don't beat him, the world dies or something. That's really scary.

I've heard Red and Blue Rescue Teams are a lot harder than PMD: T/D/S, so I would want to try out one of those. Especially how you have to climb fifty floors or something, then fight a giant dragon with lasers coming out of its mouth as a little lizard or mouse. And if you don't beat him, the world dies or something. That's really scary.

Sounds like the basic concept of RPGs to me.

By the way, it's called sky tower, it's 25 floors for the main part, then 6 floors for sky tower peak, then you fight rayquaza. then the coolest cutscene in the game comes and rayquaza beats the shit out of a meteor with hyper beam, and saves the pokemon world.

PMD: T/D/S is pretty much the same, except that instead of fighting a giant dragon with lasers coming out of its mouth, you fight against a giant deity that controls the flow of time itself. 

By the way, it's called sky tower, it's 25 floors for the main part, then 6 floors for sky tower peak, then you fight rayquaza. then the coolest cutscene in the game comes and rayquaza beats the shit out of a meteor with hyper beam, and saves the pokemon world.

i hated that place so much as a kid. fuck sky tower.

i hated that place so much as a kid. fuck sky tower.

It's got some badass music though, probably my third favorite theme from that game, right next to great canyon.

Man, those games are my favorites of the pokemon games. I'm super happy they're jumpstarting PMD again. Loved the original Red/Blue, and T/D/S were fantastic. Gates was terrible if you ask me, was way too short and I was actually annoyed by how small the main character choices were. 4 Pokemon to choose from, and you can only be male. The gender lock wouldn't bother me so much if it wasn't for the fact that the previous games gave you the option, and I like giving my teams a theme. 

Pretty much the only thing I wish they would do for the new one is bring back Eevee as a playable character. That was the first Pokemon I was ever assigned by the personality quiz in Blue, and I've grown attached to Eevee for it. 

I definitely agree with you on every point. However, one of them depends on what you're comparing them too.

To be specific, it's the difficulty one.

Games like Pokemon Gold/Silver were actually tough such as fights like Red, the reasons for this is because you were under levelled upon initiating the fight. So in order to beat him, you needed to use everything to your advantage, status conditions, typing, weather effects, etc... In order to merge victorious. Because if you blindly spammed a move, you'd be punished quite badly by Red's Pokemon.

But if were to compare them to the new games such as Omega Ruby/Alpha Sapphire or X/Y. You're so right that it's not even funny lol. Those games were so dumbed down that you can just spam one or two moves and easily win. A great example to prove this is Excadrill in Pokemon Black/White, you get its base evolution, Drillbur, somewhat early in the game and it evolves into it's godly form at level 31... And that Pokemon was so overpowered you just needed to spam Earthquake to easily sweep gym leaders or the members of the E4 and even the champion. And for any Pokemon that resisted ground, you could put rock slide or iron head on it to solve the problem. Excadrill managed to 1-2 hit KO almost every Pokemon you were against in the game, it was shocking that one Pokemon can be that good.

I just hope they don't dumb down Pokemon Super Mystery Dungeon like Pokemon Omega Ruby/Alpha Sapphire or X/Y because that would really suck.

I'm bad at videogames but I do remember Blue Rescue Team being much more difficult than Explorers of Time.

I decided to replay Blue not that long ago and I was over leveled for a little bit but where I am right now I am vastly underleveled and lack any way to power level due to the way the story progresses and because of this I may actually have to restart since the end of this dungeon has a boss that can take me or my partner out in one wack.

I'm bad at videogames but I do remember Blue Rescue Team being much more difficult than Explorers of Time.

I decided to replay Blue not that long ago and I was over leveled for a little bit but where I am right now I am vastly underleveled and lack any way to power level due to the way the story progresses and because of this I may actually have to restart since the end of this dungeon has a boss that can take me or my partner out in one wack.

A cool feature they had was the side dungeons during your fugitives episode. Because it was a long string of dungeons, and boss fights, they had little 3-4 floor dungeons with same level enemies that you could grind against if you were underleveled, before heading back to the main dungeon. I think I remember there being three of those, they had safe sounding names compared to the main dungeon. 

A cool feature they had was the side dungeons during your fugitives episode. Because it was a long string of dungeons, and boss fights, they had little 3-4 floor dungeons with same level enemies that you could grind against if you were underleveled, before heading back to the main dungeon. I think I remember there being three of those, they had safe sounding names compared to the main dungeon. 

Don't you mean the extra paths you can take? Aren't those actually pretty long? I remember them being 20-25 floors.

Posted · Hidden by OverduePixels, July 6, 2015 - Spam
Hidden by OverduePixels, July 6, 2015 - Spam

tbh i find it boring

i dunno why everyone else find it fun

Archived