Guide to Paypal Trading

AwesomeMcCoolName

Ok well now that that is out of the way time to fire at you some questions

So http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561198070670065/ wants to buy my NnB YWN, and as I stated, I've never done paypal trading, so he is offering 35$ and is paying the fees, and that doesn't seem like a unbelievable trade. I took your advice and I checked his profile, only 715  hours in tf2 and only 8 games, but he has outpost premium, lots of outpost trades, lots of backpack views and cashed out his whole backpack and his backpack value before was over 1000$, but when I asked for rep he just said check my profile, and he linked me to his backpack.tf trust page and someone said they bought 21 buds from him. He seems like a trustworthy guy, what do you think?

Probably although there is always the possibility he sold his account and its no longer really him...

I'd probably pass as the risk is there, but thats just me. 

• 3 weeks later...

How big of an issue are chargebacks? Is there any recourse in the case that someone decides to chargeback a payment?

No, you're going to lose and the chargeback will be successful.

• 1 month later...

May I ask why the notes are worthless? I see many outpost trades requiring the no chargeback statement w/ their steam profile in the notes.

May I ask why the notes are worthless? I see many outpost trades requiring the no chargeback statement w/ their steam profile in the notes.

Basically, the moment someone charges back, he's saying that absolutely everything that happened on his Paypal account during the timeframe he disputes was done by someone else. without authorization. Since he's not liable in any way for what this third guy (let's assume it's really a hijacker) did, any notes the hijacker wrote are meaningless as well, and that's why Paypal ignores them.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Id say to include theres also Paypal cashcards besides moneypak, have the same way of working just another name. Also be careful with paypal cash trading, Paypal has been cracking down, if you make too many transactions they start to get suspicious. And really if you dont feel confident then dont do it or ask dor advice.

Id say to include theres also Paypal cashcards besides moneypak, have the same way of working just another name. Also be careful with paypal cash trading, Paypal has been cracking down, if you make too many transactions they start to get suspicious. And really if you dont feel confident then dont do it or ask dor advice.

What do you mean? What do they find wrong with it?

It looks like you are selling and buying things, even when you dont have notes, just the fact that there are so many transactions, at least thamount of buying and selling I was doing they got suspicious. They can tell its not a gift.

What do you mean? What do they find wrong with it?

It looks like you are selling and buying things, even when you dont have notes, just the fact that there are so many transactions, at least thamount of buying and selling I was doing they got suspicious. They can tell its not a gift.

Most people in the regular world don't send thousands of dollars back and forth as a gift. 

• Like 1

What happened to you exactly? Have they banned your account? And how many transactions are we talking about?

What happened to you exactly? Have they banned your account? And how many transactions are we talking about?

Naw they locked it for a bit, but just had to reapprove things, and they unlocked it. I was making alot of transactions. I can't explain, but over 20 a week probably. But now just have to do it as goods and services which makes it have a small fee, most people don't mind it though so its cool :P

• 4 months later...

• Cargebacks usually happen within one week; chargebacks can occur up to three months, its just not the norm

6 months now

I would also add that people shouldn't spend the money unless absolutely necessary during the chargeback window. Money spent means you'll have a negative balance if a chargeback does occur. I encounter this often enough with people thinking once they move it to their bank, they are safe.

• Like 3

Is source op no longer a legit source of rep?

It's still a legit source, they just took a massive shit on their community about a year ago. 

would like to build myself a computer in real life and i have a few questions before i jump in

-i am under the age of 18

how much of the paypal acc do i have to have set up ie if i dont link it to a credit card and just a bank to pull money out of?

can i pull money out of the bank from my paypal acc immediatly or do i have to wait a couple weeks?

i have a tendency to sell a massive amount of stuff in a week ie in 1 week ill sell 100 or so keys does this look suspicous and will get the paypal account locked?

if my paypal acc. is locked can i get it unlocked since i am under 18?

does my acc look suspicous? and should i do something to help it or not?

any other advice would be appreciated however these questions will do for now

thank you in advance and god bless your day :)

edit:

would it be easier just to use a parent's paypal acc?

any other advice would be appreciated however these questions will do for now

-Snip-

- You can set up a paypal account without much difficulty however until you add a credit card/bank details and verify paypal will limit everything you do.

- If you have a verified account you should be eligible for a bank instant transfer which isnt exactly instant which the name suggests, the buyer will instantly receive the money you send via credit and you will reviece a temp loan, Paypal recovers this "loan" when your bank processes the info.

- Account limitations here: https://www.paypal.com/us/webapps/helpcenter/helphub/article/?solutionId=FAQ2356

I would suggest getting a prepaid credit card if it is available in your country (try to do some research see if the one you're interested in buying works with paypal, to my understanding some wont link up)

Thanks i think before ill start ill take your advice and grab a prepaid card and have my parents co sign at the bank.

- You can set up a paypal account without much difficulty however until you add a credit card/bank details and verify paypal will limit everything you do.

- If you have a verified account you should be eligible for a bank instant transfer which isnt exactly instant which the name suggests, the buyer will instantly receive the money you send via credit and you will reviece a temp loan, Paypal recovers this "loan" when your bank processes the info.

- Account limitations here: https://www.paypal.com/us/webapps/helpcenter/helphub/article/?solutionId=FAQ2356

I would suggest getting a prepaid credit card if it is available in your country (try to do some research see if the one you're interested in buying works with paypal, to my understanding some wont link up)

would a bank card work in replace of the prepaid card?

help

So, if i transfer money to PayPal account from a credit/debit card, will i have to pay fees? I don't want fees since i probably wouldn't be able to cover them, since most sellers say "you have to cover the fees".

• 1 month later...

Do you suggest taking logs and keeping them even after the trade goes smoothly? After doing a paypal trade (Going first anyway) I immediately screen my conversation with the buyer/seller and shortly delete them after a day or so. 

Do you suggest keeping the evidence in case of a chargeback? As in in a separate folder or w.e

Do you suggest taking logs and keeping them even after the trade goes smoothly? After doing a paypal trade (Going first anyway) I immediately screen my conversation with the buyer/seller and shortly delete them after a day or so. 

Do you suggest keeping the evidence in case of a chargeback? As in in a separate folder or w.e

Yes, take pictures of everything and save them for...well..forever. I still have a record of every pp  trade I've done in the last four years. 

• Like 1

For other maybe add WU as another option?(Though more on large sums of money) It's more internationally friendly compared to moneypak and once payment is picked up you cannot be charged back. 

Pros

- Impossible to be charged back when payment is pickedup

- International

Cons

- Most buyers refuse to use WU simply once money has been received they cannot chargeback even if they dont recieve goods (This was an issue with bitcoins or something I believe)

- A larger fee

- You have to physically go and receive your money