How will the pricing for the weapon skins work?

Mikusch

As you know, these skins will come in different exteriors and different finishes. It would be a whole lot of work to introduce that into the pricing system of the site. How exactly is that gonna work?

1. Weapon, which skin is it for? Skin prices are different for different weapons, usually primaries are more expensive

2. Wear, How worn out is the skin? Factory New Skins have a relatively new exterior and are worth more

3. Statclock, Does it have statclock? Statclock adds a killcounter on the side of the weapon, much like csgo Stattraks. Statclocks are generally worth more than regular counterparts

4. Rarity, How common are that particular skin? If it is obtainable by random drops, they are generally cheaper than skins that can only be unboxed

5. Skin appearance, How beautiful is the skin? This is pretty much self explanatory

This is probably how the new Gunmettle skins are going to be priced.

When in doubt, use scm for a price reference  

If you look at the official post on the teamfortress site, it says no 2 weapons are alike. Every weapon has some sort of difference in the paint or something.

If you look at the official post on the teamfortress site, it says no 2 weapons are alike. Every weapon has some sort of difference in the paint or something.

same as cs, the patterns of skins are all individual due to the placement of the design and the level of wear varying a lot.

I'd imagine that pricing would be very subjective, since different people will of course have different opinions on different skins. However, in the base game, the only direct reskins we really have are Australiums, of which there are very few in relation to the amount of weapons in the game. I'd quite like to have a dusty-coloured flamethrower to go with my Beams Hive Minder, and this update may enhance my set. I feel that overall, this update will be good, though I dislike the addition of statclocks and unusual weapons. "Unusual" for me is defined by the particle effect and how well it goes with the item. I doubt that weapons will be able to have particle effects, but if they do, then I doubt they would be as desirable as cosmetic unusual effects, since I'd assume the unusual weapons would only show their effects when equipped, meaning that if you were to make use of them, you'd have to constantly have that weapon out, and having an unusual Knife out all the time may cost you your life in some situations. I feel that statclocks and unusual weapons are going too far - I understand that uncasing/uncrating is supposed to include unlikely rewards like this, but they just don't fit weapons, in my eyes.

I honestly dont know what to think of this update.

I like the Buffs/Nerfs but the skins are just meh...

But hey lets see what they created, anybody knows the exact time when the update comes out or is that still unknown?

same as cs, the patterns of skins are all individual due to the placement of the design and the level of wear varying a lot.

yes but these skins will be fully differernt from each other in csgo you have loads of minimal wear asimov awps , in tf2 there will only be one etc

I guess it depends on how the items exist in the Schema. For example standard weapons, festives and botkillers are all defined separately in the schema, Australiums apparently share the same index number as the standard counterparts so I have no idea how those are distinguished.

Depending on what schema shenanigans take place the new skins might have pages ready for pricing the moment the update hits, or possibly the backpack.tf database might need some work in order to support them.

Either way, once they have pages they will simply be priced the same way any item is priced; by looking at the market for the item and gathering evidence, presenting that evidence with a price based off it and a vote on the price followed by accepting or rejecting the price.

yes but these skins will be fully differernt from each other in csgo you have loads of minimal wear asimov awps , in tf2 there will only be one etc

Uhh no, the different wears doesn't mean every combo will be 1/1. It is "unique" due to the float value, the wear shwon is a representation of that. There will still be, for example, a few hundred fac new jimi jam miniguns.

Archived