Is Valve no longer going to be restoring hijacked items?

polar

EDIT: I'm still not sure. They do make a distinction between scams and hijacks. But they also say that restoring copies causes devaluation of items. Either way, just be even more careful than you were before. I don't know if they will restore them or not.

Please be safe and keep yourself from getting scammed in the first place. Have a look here - http://forums.backpack.tf/index.php?/topic/27624-guide-phishing-and-scamming-techniques/

Sad thing is, literally a few hours ago, some guy made a thread asking how to get hijacked items back.

I for one am actually quite happy about this.

Forces players to take responsibility for their items

It seems that they aren't dealing with trade scams, for example you traded for nothing by accident.... Or a game or something got chargedback in the steam store.

But here: https://support.steampowered.com/kb_article.php?ref=6633-TANM-9707

Wouldn't this be not a part of support if they were completely through with HIJACKED situations.

It seems to me that they are still taking situations of where your account was STOLEN by a method they don't describe. They will help if your account was by some other case besides phishing.

"Why do you only restore items once?

Steam will not return any items or gifts that have been traded, sold or deleted while your account is hijacked; however, Steam Support might make a one-time exception depending on the circumstances of your account (i.e. your account was hijacked)."  (Seems that they still might give you the benefit of the doubt, ONE TIME, and thats a chance in itself to get that one time.)

If you give proper proof and haven't submitted a ticket before about hijacking.

Original source: http://www.polygon.com/2015/6/29/8860977/steam-no-longer-restoring-items-lost-to-trading-scams

https://support.steampowered.com/kb_article.php?ref=3415-WAFH-6433#whathappens

Please be safe and keep yourself from getting scammed in the first place. Have a look here - http://forums.backpack.tf/index.php?/topic/27624-guide-phishing-and-scamming-techniques/

And finally, RIP this thread - http://forums.backpack.tf/index.php?/topic/1206-guide-to-restoring-hijacked-items/- one of the most useful things I have ever made in my time in this community.

Where does it state that 'hijacked' items will not be returned?

Steam won't return scammed items

Note:

This is the same item policy that Steam has used since the economy's release in 2010.\

Also, there's this: https://support.steampowered.com/kb_article.php?ref=6633-TANM-9707#moocher

Can I get free items from Steam Support? What happens if I submit a ticket containing false information?

Any attempts to mislead Steam Support into creating items that never existed in your inventory or were not stolen from your account may result in your account being locked.

Steam Support does not grant items to users – even in the case of a hijack restoration, only items that actually existed and were lost the hijacker are restored with a rollback. Claiming that you owned items that did not exist on your account is obvious to our technicians.

Why do you only restore items once?

Steam will not return any items or gifts that have been traded, sold or deleted while your account is hijacked; however, Steam Support might make a one-time exception depending on the circumstances of your account (i.e. your account was hijacked).

As for why we will only do this once, our marketplace and trading platforms policies are designed to protect the value of the items that are being traded, bought and sold within Steam. We avoid duplicating items wherever possible to protect the integrity of the Steam Market and trading platforms. Please keep in mind that, as previously stated, users are responsible for the security of their Steam accounts and computers.

>why do [we] restore items?

So they do restore items, it seems.. but only once.

I was under the impression that scammed items were NEVER refunded, and that only hijacked items were. Scammed items should never have been refunded, as it is easy to stage a scam and make quick profit with throwaway accounts, at least I would have thought so.

Are you sure it's hijacked items they will no longer restore, Polar? And not just scammed items?

Unless I'm not reading this correctly, you are wrong as a scam does not equal a hijack. They are only talking about a trade scam in the link you provided.

Refer to what Apollo just posted.

Trade scams =/= Hijack as Apollo said. They will still make a one time exception if you have been hijacked. The whole thing about not returning scammed items is old new. Not sure why everyone is making a big deal out of it like it's new.

It seems that they aren't dealing with trade scams, for example you traded for nothing by accident.... Or a game or something got chargedback in the steam store.

But here: https://support.steampowered.com/kb_article.php?ref=6633-TANM-9707

Wouldn't this be not a part of support if they were completely through with HIJACKED situations.

It seems to me that they are still taking situations of where your account was STOLEN by a method they don't describe. They will help if your account was by some other case besides phishing.

"Why do you only restore items once?

Steam will not return any items or gifts that have been traded, sold or deleted while your account is hijacked; however, Steam Support might make a one-time exception depending on the circumstances of your account (i.e. your account was hijacked)."  (Seems that they still might give you the benefit of the doubt, ONE TIME, and thats a chance in itself to get that one time.)

If you give proper proof and haven't submitted a ticket before about hijacking.

Where does it state that 'hijacked' items will not be returned?

Yeah, some of the verbage isn't clear to me. 

"If more copies of the item are added to the economy through inventory rollbacks, the value of every other instance of that item would be reduced."

Would be quite the contradiction for them to continue returning hijacked items.

Yeah, some of the verbage isn't clear to me. 

"If more copies of the item are added to the economy through inventory rollbacks, the value of every other instance of that item would be reduced."

Would be quite the contradiction for them to continue returning hijacked items.

>Why do you only restore items once?

https://support.steampowered.com/kb_article.php?ref=6633-TANM-9707#whyonlyonce

It's nothing new (except maybe the only 1 hijack return), it's just that they're clarifying their policies.

Trade scams =/= Hijack as Apollo said. They will still make a one time exception if you have been hijacked. The whole thing about not returning scammed items is old new. Not sure why everyone is making a big deal out of it like it's new.

Well, that whole update was pushed out last week. Almost the entire page I linked in the op is new. 

Well, that whole update was pushed out last week. Almost the entire page I linked in the op is new. 

Likely that they made that page so they would stop getting steam support requests to return scammed items.

Good news for steam support? Is it unclogging itself? Will it become useful again?

Likely that they made that page so they would stop getting steam support requests to return scammed items.

Good news for steam support? Is it unclogging itself? Will it become useful again?

The types of people who will be getting themselves scammed probably won't know that steam has stopped restoring scammed items. I doubt steam support will ever be quick.

I never understood why steam didn't force users to read a set of rules or a guide before they completed their first trade. I think it would help prevent a LOT of scams and hijackings if they wrote a succinct set of rules and advice that every user had to read, maybe a 1-2 minute deal, and let them be on their way. The ones who bothered to read it would probably be less likely to be scammed.

The types of people who will be getting themselves scammed probably won't know that steam has stopped restoring scammed items. I doubt steam support will ever be quick.

Yeah, I personally think they are being intentionally vague.

Pretty sure it was just an update to clarify- nothing new.

Edit: Yep http://attackofthefanboy.com/news/steam-clarifies-policy-of-not-returning-items-to-scammed-players/

Most of those scam report tickets happen to be Paypal or real world money trading which Valve never supported.  

Most of those scam report tickets happen to be Paypal or real world money trading which Valve never supported. 

Exactly. They were never returning those kinds of scammed items before. So when they pushed this new update last week to update to their policy, I assumed they were no longer returning hijacked items. 

Exactly. They were never returning those kinds of scammed items before. So when they pushed this new update last week to update to their policy, I assumed they were no longer returning hijacked items. 

Yea, I can understand the confusion. Still glad they revamped the whole thing.

So even if my account gets hacked through no fault of my own (I never click on phishing links, give out my info, etc.),

my items aren't going to get restored?

What the heck?

Valve just got tired of restoring everyone's items. It's so common that Pretty much for every person working, they'd have to write a couple paragraphs whilist returning the exact items that they lost. 

EDIT: I'm still not sure. They do make a distinction between scams and hijacks. But they also say that restoring copies causes devaluation of items. Either way, just be even more careful than you were before. I don't know if they will restore them or not.

http://www.gosugamers.net/dota2/news/31573-valve-will-no-longer-return-scammed-items

If something was hijacked by someone gaining access to your account, outside of your Control or your fault, I feel you should have it returned.

BUT

If it's your own fault, like clicking the mumble shit that hijacker bots try to make you download, and actually accepting the download, you're an idiot and deserve losing your items.

its good that valve isnt returning scammed items anymore. valve has plenty of helpful things to prevent scamming. if you get scammed, it's entirely your fault for not being smart about it.

hijacking is a completely different story, however.

• 3 weeks later...

Pretty sure Valve can't (despite what they said) do that since it can hurt the economy since the supply and demand of items depends on the amount of an item that are in backpacks, plus that can hurt Valve's reputation since it's basically saying that the scammers can scam all they want and they know their victims won't get compensated for the missing items. Also it could (though chances are very low) that Valve could unintentionally assist in a cyber-crime since some of the more expensive items are purchased by people using their own money. Also, I think the main reason they're doing it is because everybody thinks dupes are bad even though they're meant to replace an item that was stolen. Plus, Valve never keeps tabs on possible scammers visible for people can see on a profile so really, the scamming problem is a fair chunk on them for expecting people to know this ahead of time ('cause that notification about how the suspect user is a possible can actually hurt non-scammer users and bots like the bots used by scrap.tf). Steamrep and reputation on users simply isn't enough. Valve is going after the problem itself rather than the users that cause them to put all the restrictions in the first place. Eventually the scammers are gonna push Valve to the point where they make a decision so reckless, it could ruin the in-game economies they want to keep running, possibly cause a Steam version of the Salem Witch Trials, and ultimately kill TF2, DOTA 2, CS:GO, and possibly Steam overall.     

Pretty sure Valve can't (despite what they said) do that since it can hurt the economy since the supply and demand of items depends on the amount of an item that are in backpacks, plus that can hurt Valve's reputation since it's basically saying that the scammers can scam all they want and they know their victims won't get compensated for the missing items. Also it could (though chances are very low) that Valve could unintentionally assist in a cyber-crime since some of the more expensive items are purchased by people using their own money. Also, I think the main reason they're doing it is because everybody thinks dupes are bad even though they're meant to replace an item that was stolen. Plus, Valve never keeps tabs on possible scammers visible for people can see on a profile so really, the scamming problem is a fair chunk on them for expecting people to know this ahead of time ('cause that notification about how the suspect user is a possible can actually hurt non-scammer users and bots like the bots used by scrap.tf). Steamrep and reputation on users simply isn't enough. Valve is going after the problem itself rather than the users that cause them to put all the restrictions in the first place. Eventually the scammers are gonna push Valve to the point where they make a decision so reckless, it could ruin the in-game economies they want to keep running, possibly cause a Steam version of the Salem Witch Trials, and ultimately kill TF2, DOTA 2, CS:GO, and possibly Steam overall.     

At the end of the day, Steam can only do so much. There are literally thousands of users who trade within steam (and outside of steam) day by day. From a work perspective, dealing with those thousands of people is simply work more than is possible for a team to deal with, and not at all cost or time efficient. 

It's much easier and safer to simply make blanket rules that imply the user is responsible for their own account and what they do. Every scam is avoidable provided you were not born yesterday. No matter how many warnings, confirmations, and guides Steam makes, there will always be that gullible person, usually a kid, who ignores every precaution and gets scammed none the less. 

Archived