Do you consider e-sports a valid sport?

Дебра

75 members have voted

1. 1. Are e-sports valid sports?

• Yes
    • No

Hey, clicking and button mashing take a lot of effort.

NOT IF I CAN HELP IT

/derailment

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

No because you're staring at a fucking 22" screen for an unacceptable amount of time moving a mouse and pressing a maximum of 7 keys.

im telling mom on you

sports are just a social construct

no need to debate over what's a sport and what's not because sports aren't real

sports are just a social construct

no need to debate over what's a sport and what's not because sports aren't real

How can e-sports be real if our sports are not? - Jaden Smith

Sport (noun)
1. an activity involving physical exertion and skill in which an individual or team competes against another or others for entertainment.

Exertion - ex·er·tion
Physical or mental effort.

Using this definition, esports is not and should never be considered a valid sport.

/thread

FTFY

E-sports are not sports only if they require NO effort. They require movement of the fingers, arms, and eyes. Also, mental effort.

E-sports completely falls in line with the definition of sports. Just because you don't percieve it as a sport doesn't mean it's any less of a sport.

FTFY

E-sports are not sports only if they require NO effort. They require movement of the fingers, arms, and eyes. Also, mental effort.

E-sports completely falls in line with the definition of sports. Just because you don't percieve it as a sport doesn't mean it's any less of a sport.

They key word in the definition (both Webster's and Oxford's) is 'physical.' What you did here was remove that specific word to say your point. The effort in a sport needs to be physical. 

Esports are not a sport, it's a competition like poker and chess. It's a category of its own. Refer to the video that Kevin the Chicken God has posted. I believe the speaker in the video even said that pro gamers don't call it a sport. 

No what the hell?

Guys, you literally do no physical exercise. If you consider gaming a sport you have a sad life.

Why is physical exercise a requirement?

There many sports that don't require physical exercise like: Chess, dart throwing, car racing, bow shooting, gun shooting etc.

eSport != Sport

That is why there is an 'e' before it. An esport is a kind of sport, call it a category in sports like soccer, basketball, etc.

There are many other 'sports'(People may agree or disagree) like hunting, fishing, and like Zcrab said above, car racing and dart throwing.

What we have here is a bunch of people that are threatened by 'eSports' being called a sport as they feel like it compares to nothing vs a traditional sport.

While they're not physical contact sports, they do require quick reaction and good hand-eye dexterity, so there is a physical aspect, and you can age out of them just as you can age out of more traditional sports.  Starcraft is a great example.  You have famous pro korean SC players like BoxeR who end up having to retire well before a lot of famous NFL quarterbacks even got close to being too old to play. 

As you get older, you slow down.  Fact of life.  It's not a factor with games like chess and poker, but it is with twitch reflex games like starcraft and quake live where lightning reflexes and quick thinking matters so much at the pro level.  Now of course not every esport is created equal in this respect, just as other sports require differing levels and types of athleticism, and ability does vary from person to person as well.

They key word in the definition (both Webster's and Oxford's) is 'physical.' What you did here was remove that specific word to say your point. The effort in a sport needs to be physical. 

Esports are not a sport, it's a competition like poker and chess. It's a category of its own. Refer to the video that Kevin the Chicken God has posted. I believe the speaker in the video even said that pro gamers don't call it a sport. 

Lol no. I didn't. Below I've highlighted it for you.

"Sport (noun)
1. an activity involving physical exertion and skill in which an individual or team competes against another or others for entertainment.

Exertion - ex·er·tion

Physical or mental effort."

Physical exertion = Physical effort.

Mental exertion = Mental effort.

And when you said: "The effort in a sport needs to be physical."

I agree completely. That's exactly what I said. (I said: "They require movement of the fingers, arms, and eyes."[which is Physical effort]) eSports require effort to move your body[Physical]. Even if it is not strenuous, it is still effort.

If you want to play the "definitions game" then your answer will be that eSports can be classified as sports.

I personally don't refer to eSports the same way as I do "traditional sports," but technically they can be classified as sports because the definition of "sport" is vague enough to encompass eSports.

I said this one and I'll say it again. This is a sport to some. Just like football is a sport to other people CSGO and LOL is a sport to us. That's why we differentiate it with ELECTRONIC Sports. E-sports not sports.

-snip-

Oh I'm sorry. I didn't realize that moving your finger ~2 inches left and right and pressing 10 buttons on a keyboard is classified as a physical activity. I guess people like this guy are hell of a lot more athletic than all of us are. 

That's by far the cringiest argument I've ever heard for this topic. Playing video games is not a psychical activity. Good luck trying to convice that to your gym teacher. I'm done here. Next thing you'll be telling me is that Pasha here got his massive biceps from moving those fingers of his. kappa

Unpopular opinions thread.

If you don't think e-sports is considered as sports, doesn't mean the rest of the world does. If chess can be sports, definitely Competitive gaming can be too. Competitive quake has been considered as sport for soo long now.

Oh I'm sorry. I didn't realize that moving your finger ~2 inches left and right and pressing 10 buttons on a keyboard is classified as a physical activity. I guess people like this guy are hell of a lot more athletic than all of us are. 

That's by far the cringiest argument I've ever heard for this topic. Playing video games is not a psychical activity. Good luck trying to convice that to your gym teacher. I'm done here. Next thing you'll be telling me is that Pasha here got his massive biceps from moving those fingers of his. kappa

There's a fact that pasha done steroids, yet his legs are skinny as fuck and as I've heard he actually has no strength at all.

Also funny you compare " Sitting at home, doing nothing ". That's what regular gamers do, don't confuse competitive gamers with regular gamers. What about Poker then? It's sitting at one place, doing nothing too. Yet it's a world wide sport? How about chess? Sport is not all about physical strength and movement. Competitive gamers use reaction times, strategy. So why not?

Oh I'm sorry. I didn't realize that moving your finger ~2 inches left and right and pressing 10 buttons on a keyboard is classified as a physical activity. I guess people like this guy are hell of a lot more athletic than all of us are. 

That's by far the cringiest argument I've ever heard for this topic. Playing video games is not a psychical activity. Good luck trying to convice that to your gym teacher. I'm done here. Next thing you'll be telling me is that Pasha here got his massive biceps from moving those fingers of his. kappa

Should we say pro cycling isn't a sport because the riders are all skinny, light weight twigs who just sit on their bkes all day?  Should we say that power lifting isn't a sport because the competitors can have high body fat and they don't move from their lifting position while they compete?  People train themselves differently for different sports.  Just because one sport doesn't require the same body type as another, or that it involves less of certain types of activity, we don't then say that it's not really a sport.

Now check this out:

Are YOU that fast? Are most people?  I seriously doubt it.  Try it.  See if you can avoid fatigue and cramping.  Keeping up that pace for extended perioids while translating it to effective strategies (as opposed to just random keypresses or innefectve ingame actions) takes intense practice and discipline.  That's physical activity, whether you accept it or not.  These pro gamers are well trained at keeping up a high pace of actions per minute.  Just because they use their hands to do it, it's not a sport?

Nah.  Sorry, man.  That's weak.

In my opinion "Sports" is just a subcategory of "Games". All sports are games, but not all games are sports, etc. Also, I think that the difference between a Sport and a non-Sport is that a Sport requires full body movement and whatnot, while games do not necessarily require this. There's some stuff that's hard to categorize, like car racing, but still... eSports simply are not sports. They are games. This isn't a bad thing... games can require as much skill, or more, than a sport, games can be every bit as competitive as a sport, and games can be broadcast on TV just like sports are. But they aren't sports. Either way, this is a needless categorization.

Keeping up that pace for extended perioids while translating it to effective strategies (as opposed to just random keypresses or innefectve ingame actions) takes intense practice and discipline.  That's physical activity, whether you accept it or not.  These pro gamers are well trained at keeping up a high pace of actions per minute.  Just because they use their hands to do it, it's not a sport?

Is taking a test a sport? As far as I know, it's not easy to write as fast as some tests require you to do, and you often are competing against your peers in tests... so are they sports? I don't think so. Are tests games...? I don't see a reason why not.

Is taking a test a sport? As far as I know, it's not easy to write as fast as some tests require you to do, and you often are competing against your peers in tests... so are they sports? I don't think so. Are tests games...? I don't see a reason why not.

Competition and physical activity don't themselves nessesarily equate to sport.  Combat in war or just for survival, for example, is not a sport in and of itself, but it becomes a sport when organized as such, although I don't think we've done bloodsports in the west since the days of the old roman empire.  Hunting would be another example of something that becomes a sport when organized as a one, but that ordinarily isn't.  So by that standard, testing could be made into a sport, yes.  I don't think there would be a lot if interest in it, but it would be a sport if it were organized as one.

• 2 weeks later...

Check this out:

These are real athletes who are competing against eachother on real bikes, doing real physical work... but their race is only possible because they are connected to eachother virtually via the internet.

Could this be indicative of the future of esports?

Check this out:

These are real athletes who are competing against eachother on real bikes, doing real physical work... but their race is only possible because they are connected to eachother virtually via the internet.

Could this be indicative of the future of esports?

This I would strongly consider sports. And it could be for individuals. But for people watching sports? I watch bike races occasionally, stuff like the Tour and the Giro are fun to watch if you've got the time for it but I would never watch any of this stuff live. It's a completely different thing in my opinion

This I would strongly consider sports.

They're playing a videogame, so it would definitely be eSports.  But also sports.  I think we found a great example here of something that obviously fits both of what most would consider acceptible descriptions for each.  So at the very least I think we can say esports can be real sports, even if many don't consider current esports to qualify.

And it could be for individuals. But for people watching sports? I watch bike races occasionally, stuff like the Tour and the Giro are fun to watch if you've got the time for it but I would never watch any of this stuff live. It's a completely different thing in my opinion

You're stating a preference.  Same could be said for starcraft.  Plenty of people watch that, while plenty do not.  Individuals can play it at home, or in front of a live audience.

I enjoyed the video, and would watch more of these races if they were well presented.  But that's my preference, because I like cycling, and I like watching certain esports.  I hate watching baseball or football, while I enjoy watching soccer.  I'm not going to say baseball and football aren't sports, nor would I say dota isn't an eSport because I hate watching it while I enjoy watching starcraft.

I don't know if that's what you meant to imply, but I'm putting it out there anyway.

Um, this argument is really being much more drawn-out then need be. The definition of sport- "an activity involving physical exertion and skill in which an individual or team competes against another or others for entertainment."

Clicking a mouse is by no means physical exertion. Both items like chess and e-sports can be considered a mental sport, but if it doesn't fit the literal definition of sport, I don't think it can be argued.

Um, this argument is really being much more drawn-out then need be. The definition of sport- "an activity involving physical exertion and skill in which an individual or team competes against another or others for entertainment."

Clicking a mouse is by no means physical exertion. Both items like chess and e-sports can be considered a mental sport, but if it doesn't fit the literal definition of sport, I don't think it can be argued.

The trouble is that pressing buttons and clicking a mouse can be considered physical exertion.  Please see this:

Are YOU that fast? Are most people?  I seriously doubt it.  Try it.  See if you can avoid fatigue and cramping.  Keeping up that pace for extended perioids while translating it to effective strategies (as opposed to just random keypresses or innefectve ingame actions) takes intense practice and discipline.  That's physical activity, whether you accept it or not.  These pro gamers are well trained at keeping up a high pace of actions per minute.  Just because they use their hands to do it, it's not a sport?

Archived