Do you consider e-sports a valid sport?

Дебра

75 members have voted

1. 1. Are e-sports valid sports?

• Yes
    • No

Hold steering wheel left. Apply gas. Flying towards wall? Brake. Car on fire or broken? Pull into garage for 10-20 seconds.

Sports is something that not everyone could do it.

Could you do the things you listed?

No.

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Sports is something that not everyone could do it.

Could you do the things you listed?

No.

Ehh. Bad way to define a sport. Anyone can play baseball so I guess it's not a sport? Nascar requires a lot of skill. That's just what it is. A bunch of skilled drivers doing 100 circles for half an hour.

Sport (noun)
1. an activity involving physical exertion and skill in which an individual or team competes against another or others for entertainment.

physical exertion - the activity of exerting your muscles in various ways to keep fit; "the doctor recommended regular exercise"; "he did some exercising"; "the physial exertion required by his work kept him fit"

Using this definition, esports is not and should never be considered a valid sport. (unless there are esports for Kinect Sports or something. lol)

/thread

Ehh. Bad way to define a sport. Anyone can play baseball so I guess it's not a sport? Nascar requires a lot of skill. That's just what it is. A bunch of skilled drivers doing 100 circles for half an hour.

Sport (noun)

1. an activity involving physical exertion and skill in which an individual or team competes against another or others for entertainment.

physical exertion [/size]-[/size] [/size]the[/size] [/size]activity[/size] [/size]of[/size] [/size]exerting[/size] [/size]your[/size] [/size]muscles[/size] [/size]in[/size] [/size]various[/size] [/size]ways[/size] [/size]to[/size] [/size]keep[/size] [/size]fit;[/size] [/size]"the[/size] [/size]doctor [/size]recommended[/size] [/size]regular[/size] [/size]exercise";[/size] [/size]"he[/size] [/size]did[/size] [/size]some[/size] [/size]exercising";[/size] [/size]"the[/size] [/size]physial[/size] [/size]exertion[/size] [/size]required[/size] [/size]by[/size] [/size]his [/size]work[/size] [/size]kept[/size] [/size]him[/size] [/size]fit"[/size]

Using this definition, esports is not and should never be considered a valid sport. (unless there are esports for Kinect Sports or something. lol)

/thread

If you go by that logic, you will also need to remove alot of other current "sports" since they don't require more physical activity than gaming.

If you go by that logic, you will also need to remove alot of other current "sports" since they don't require more physical activity than gaming.

id consider more of them competitions involving professionals in their own respective fields

e-sports is a completely different definition in its own

Yes. They meet every single definition of a sport but people just want to hide behind the fact that you dont get a workout from it so they get to say its not a sport. Competitive game players work just as hard as normal athletes, compete for more prize money than most traditional athletes and train for hours a day. There is a strong viewership such that TI4 aired a special on ESPN and games were viewable on ESPN3. E-sports are sports but it will take the world many years to accept that

Yes. They meet every single definition of a sport but people just want to hide behind the fact that you dont get a workout from it so they get to say its not a sport. Competitive game players work just as hard as normal athletes, compete for more prize money than most traditional athletes and train for hours a day. There is a strong viewership such that TI4 aired a special on ESPN and games were viewable on ESPN3. E-sports are sports but it will take the world many years to accept that

x-games also aired some CS:GO highlights (for MLG x-games) and heroes of the storm was on ESPN for a little while, though the competition was a bit lackluster by blizzard

No , it's not a sport . It's just dumb thinking that sweating over the keyboard is a sport . Stooped kids . 

Posted · Hidden by puddingkip, June 3, 2015 - No reason given
Hidden by puddingkip, June 3, 2015 - No reason given

No , it's not a sport . It's just dumb thinking that sweating over the keyboard is a sport . Stooped kids . 

your English helps that comment too

your English helps that comment too

1. He's not from an English-speaking country

2. He's in a fucking country with either Cyrillic letters or special characters

It should be considered an activity or game, but not a sport purely because a sport is a physical competition. Racing isn't a sport, neither is chess, those are competitions. I have a friend who's one of the top chess players in the country who would argue against it being considered a sport, it's ridiculous. TotalBiscuit offers an interesting commentary on it here: 

This is probably the best argument that I've heard to convince me of e-sports being considered sports, but in the end, why does it even matter? If you're some kid who goes hardcore in smash 14 hours a day and get paid decent money for people to watch you play, I don't think you'll get too hung up on whether it's a 'sport' or not

1. He's not from an English-speaking country

2. He's in a fucking country with either Cyrillic letters or special characters

I know he wasn't from a English country

Just "Stooped kids" and getting the rest right seemed like he was good enough to use it

I know he wasn't from a English country

Just "Stooped kids" and getting the rest right seemed like he was good enough to use it

Eeeh... let him slide with this one.

"a game, competition, or activity needing physical effort and skill that is played or done according to rules, for enjoyment and/or as a job"

Checked a few dictionary definitions, and they all clarify "physical effort"

So; according to the dictionary, no.

HOWEVER;

Sport is generally regarded as requiring thought, brainpower and tactics, which is why chess is internationally regarded as a sport.

The thing is, the name clarifies it's not a normal sport, it's a Electronic-Sport. Hence why they just don't call dota or starcraft a sport.

E-Sport is, funnily, in the dictionary now, too.

"Electronic sports (also known as eSports, e-sports or competitive gaming) is a term for organized multiplayer video game competitions. The most common video game genres associated with electronic sports are real-time strategy, fighting, first-person shooter, and multiplayer online battle arena."

So no, it's not a normal sport, it's an eSport, hence the name.

id consider more of them competitions involving professionals in their own respective fields

e-sports is a completely different definition in its own

I never thought I'd agree with you on something

No. It's not sports, it's fun to do and it can be fun to watch but it's just not sports. I don't really consider chess or sudoku sports either.

Darts is sort of sports, whether you're good at it or not requires physical talent which is my rough qualification of when something becomes a sport

No. It's not sports, it's fun to do and it can be fun to watch but it's just not sports. I don't really consider chess or sudoku sports either.

Darts is sort of sports, whether you're good at it or not requires physical talent which is my rough qualification of when something becomes a sport

Sudoku is a sport?

Fixed

I mean if you're emo or can't even, then suicideseppuku is a sport,

No what the hell?

Guys, you literally do no physical exercise. If you consider gaming a sport you have a sad life.

No what the hell?

Guys, you literally do no physical exercise. If you consider gaming a sport you have a sad life.

My sentiments exactly.

No what the hell?

I think that's the general consensus of us all, y'know.

Definition of sport in English: noun

1An activity involving physical exertion and skill in which an individual or team competes against another or others for entertainment:team sports such as soccer and rugby[MASS NOUN]: I used to play a lot of sport(as modifier sportsa sports centre

e-sports are not sports.

Already been said.

1An activity involving physical exertion and skill in which an individual or team competes against another or others for entertainment:team sports such as soccer and rugby[MASS NOUN]: I used to play a lot of sport(as modifier sportsa sports centre

e-sports are not sports.

Already posted that, and with reasons why it isn't. 

e-sports are not sports.

Hey, clicking and button mashing take a lot of effort.

Archived