Why don't people like AMD?

Tanner the Original Scout™

I'm sorry but I have to ask this question.

Just put what you like and don't like about them, and PLEASE keep the troll comments to a minimum.

AMD is fine for a run of the mill everyday computer. But for peak performance, they don't hold a candle to Intel CPUs.  Its not a knock, just the truth. 

As an user of AMD, it does come with a nice point program. (Raptr, this keeps your games optimized and you buy games with your points.)

But for overall penformances NVidia does beat AMD up.

Not to sure, but wasnt AMD in the beginning just clones of intel?

In the start, AMD was a reverse-engineering company that made Intel processor clones. Come around the Pentium II era, they started making their own unique processors. Come 2001, the Athlon came into existence, and in the Pentium 4 years, AMD DEMOLISHED Intel's processors in EVERY area; gamers preferred them, professionals preferred them, they were CHEAPER, and put out MUCH less heat then the P4s.

Their misfortunes came when they bought long-time partner ATI to make the APU lineup.

AMD is fine for a run of the mill everyday computer. But for peak performance, they don't hold a candle to Intel CPUs.  Its not a knock, just the truth. 

I respect your opinion. Hell, my dream build would have a Xeon E3-1230v3. But again, AMD processors seem hold up better in video editing (the i7 2600K didn't show much benefit compared to the Phenom II X6-1055t in Sony Vegas)

As an user of AMD, it does come with a nice point program. (Raptr, this keeps your games optimized and you buy games with your points.)

But for overall penformances NVidia does beat AMD up.

It really depends on WHAT game. Not counting the shitty Gameworks-based games, Nvidia does seem to hold up a little bit better in gaming. AMD however holds up SIGNIFICANTLY better in shit like bitcoin mining, OpenCL-related garbage, and Linux in general.

I respect your opinion. Hell, my dream build would have a Xeon E3-1230v3. But again, AMD processors seem hold up better in video editing (the i7 2600K didn't show much benefit compared to the Phenom II X6-1055t in Sony Vegas)

And that's all it is, my opinion. Every 2 years or so I build a new rig in the neighborhood of $3K. Sure, at any given time an AMD chip may out-perform a similar chip of Intel's, especially if you are looking for a certain quality such as video editing, but as a whole, when comparing entire families of chips together, AMD just doesn't stack up. Also when you compare the support and the updates collectively, Intel does a far better up at it. Again though, it isn't a knock. I've used AMD's in the past but if I.m going to plunk down that type of cash for my toy, I go balls out with Intel.  

Quite honestly, any rig I am replacing will still hold up to any gaming rig since that's all I build mine for....and I have yet to replace a computer because a game came out that my existing one couldn't handle. 

And that's all it is, my opinion. Every 2 years or so I build a new rig in the neighborhood of $3K. Sure, at any given time an AMD chip may out-perform a similar chip of Intel's, especially if you are looking for a certain quality such as video editing, but as a whole, when comparing entire families of chips together, AMD just doesn't stack up. Also when you compare the support and the updates collectively, Intel does a far better up at it. Again though, it isn't a knock. I've used AMD's in the past but if I.m going to plunk down that type of cash for my toy, I go balls out with Intel.  

Yeah if you've got 3k to blow might as well.

What do you do outside of Outpost and Steam anyways?

For different reasons, some because they think it will burn their house down, some because they think they will become poor because of the 10 cents extra on their power bill, others because they don't see any reason to go AMD over their competitors, and some because they are fanboys, some becasue AMD are known for renaming old products (e.g. 280x is a renamed 7970 from late 2011)... etcetcetc...

Yeah if you've got 3k to blow might as well.

What do you do outside of Outpost and Steam anyways?

I work for a gov't agency.  B)

For different reasons, some because they think it will burn their house down, some because they think they will become poor because of the 10 cents extra on their power bill, others because they don't see any reason to go AMD over their competitors, and some because they are fanboys, some becasue AMD are known for renaming old products (e.g. 280x is a renamed 7970 from late 2011)... etcetcetc...

Okay, AMD is guilty of renaming. So is Nvidia and to a sadder and longer extent (the 610 was a rebranded 520, 730 rebranded 630, etc.)

I still have to mention Project CARS. Nvidia not only murdered AMD's performance (AMD probably was ignorant too, but I digress), but they intentionally murdered performance of ANY non-Maxwell card.

He does me too....does that count? :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol::wub:

HELL YES that counts. 

Secret agent toughsox on the prowl

Nah, nothing that serious, but it is an important job where I am, I suppose. 

HELL YES that counts. 

Nah, nothing that serious, but it is an important job where I am, I suppose. 

well whatever it is it can fund a nice $3k PC every 2 years. jelous? yeah I am :/

Well yea, it does pay well. Can't lie about that. How else could I have afforded all of my TF2 collection.  Not to mention keeping the Mrs' shoe collection going strong. LOL   B)

Well yea, it does pay well. Can't lie about that. How else could I have afforded all of my TF2 collection.  Not to mention keeping the Mrs' shoe collection going strong. LOL   B)

cool, seeing as you like rubbing it in you can give my shoulders a massage too please ;)

aw, he spoils you Mrs TS :)

Anyway, to keep on topic, I personally use Nvidia however this is in a pre-build gaming laptop so I havent exactly been and tested AMD, however ill be soon looking towards building a new desktop PC but not quite sure what to put in it. Budget of around £1.5k. Stick with Nvidia or try AMD? PC noob here <--

Why do people say Google Chrome is better than Internet Exp-

Nevermind, that's a bit of an overexaggerated example.

Uhm, Coca Cola and Pep- no, wait, I don't want a shitstorm in this topic...

I'd say it's just because Nvidia outperforms AMD a lot of times and companies started using it as a standard.

i love amd, this is why i love it in a shellnut

amd_vs__nvidia_by_spritanium-d3394jt.jpg

fukin rofl

Ooh, about renaming things. The GTX 570M and GTX 670M are literally the exact same card.

This year, we got new computers for a team im on, and they were included AMD processors as, well, we had a tight budget.  We use the computer for the CAD software Solidworks.  While it isnt gaming, its still pretty  taxing.  The cards we got consistantly crash if we leave them on for a few hours, and have reboot all our work afterwards.  While they seem to be a great value for thet price we got them at (Newegg sales, yay :D) they're a little frustrating.

When it comes to GPUs AMD > Intel

When it comes to CPUs Intel > AMD

:^)

#neverbuyamdcpus

#fuckintelhdgraphics

People don't like AMD CPUs and GPUs because they're a cost-effective alternative to Intel and Nvidia with slightly less performance. For whatever reason, situations like these really irk the people that bought the more expensive solution. 

Another example of this situation would be the classic iOS vs Android debate, although performance is a bit harder to gauge there.

People don't like AMD CPUs and GPUs because they're a cost-effective alternative to Intel and Nvidia with slightly less performance. For whatever reason, situations like these really irk the people that bought the more expensive solution. 

Another example of this situation would be the classic iOS vs Android debate, although performance is a bit harder to gauge there.

CPUs, I see why.

GPUs, Microsoft HAD TO DEVELOP A SECOND LEVEL OF DIRECTX 12 for Nvidia cards because they can't support all the features in the FULL DirectX 12 package. Hell, Nvidia cards don't even support 11.1 afaik.

^^ this. I actually use an amd gpu and cpu. They work very well! But intel takes full usage of their cores, while amd lags behind a lil...

^^ this. I actually use an amd gpu and cpu. They work very well! But intel takes full usage of their cores, while amd lags behind a lil...

If by "full" you mean hyperthreading then sure.

AMD's implementation of "4" cores is a lot more useful than Intel's method of hyperthreading. What most modern AMD CPUs have is that every two cores share the same cache bus, but both cores act independently. They're still real cores, but in a different implementation.

I'm still interested in the Cherry Trail Atoms, seem to be on the level of a Sandy Bridge i3, which, if you ask me, is damn impressive.

Archived