11 random thoughts on TF2

Gren

Because I'm home sick with the flu and have nothing else to do...

1. The game is dying. It's surprising then, that after 8 years, I still have to wait in queue to to get on good community servers. The game lives and dies by its communities. Support them anyway you can.

2. This is a team based 1st person shooter in which it's impossible to win unless you work together. So turn your fucking sound on so you can at least hear what others are saying.

3. A good sniper will be less helpful than virtually any other class played with an equal level of skill. The opposite is true for medics.

4. Everywhere else in life, experience is a highly valued asset and respected and rewarded. When it comes to TF2 however, more specifically MvM, experience apparently doesn't matter at all, at least according to those who have none.

5. If the only reason you're playing MvM is for profit, don't bother. That ship has sailed more than a year ago.

6. I estimate that less than 1% of all traders actually make more profit on a weekly basis than they would working a minimum wage job. If profit is the only thing you're interested in, invest your energy into something else which will yield infinitely more wealth for you than TF2 ever could.

7. Isn't it crazy that if backpack.tf didn't tell you a hat was duped, you'd probably never know or care?

8. I've never met anybody who said they don't follow backpack.tf and then told you their hat was worth less than the backpack.tf price.

9. Steamrep: Great at ruining high level trading careers and taking rare hats and pure out of the economy. At least the 12 year old kids who are (for some odd fucking reason) playing an R rated game are getting justice.

10. Keys going up doesn't have as much to do with too much refined metal or craft hats as everyone thinks, it's more related to greed. If you want to blame someone or something, blame the Key Flippers who are constantly trying to drive up prices so they can make a scrap profit.

11. The economy isn't dead. The problem is that it's filled with profit whores who don't care about the actual items. If everyone is trading only for profit, obviously there won't be much trading because by definition, only one party can make monetary profit in a trade which puts trading into a deadlock.

Play this game and trade items because the game is fun and you enjoy it. If you're no longer having fun and stopped enjoying it, move onto something else, it's not worth it.    

Now where the fuck do you live where mature-rated games are rated R?

7. Isn't it crazy that if backpack.tf didn't tell you a hat was duped, you'd probably never know or care?

^this

I'm pretty sure duped hats being worth less is just an excuse for people to pay less for hats they want tbh

3. A good sniper will be less helpful than virtually any other class played with an equal level of skill. The opposite is true for medics.

Nah

Nah

Yes.  E.g. a good soldier will push the cart, cap or defend while still killing people whereas a good sniper will just hang back and kill people.  The soldier is undoubtedly more useful to the team.  Sure, you can be one of those mega snipers who can headshot at will, drop medics on command and throw the opposite snipers into a fit of rage.  But most snipers are only decent (at best).  And this is my point: if you're only decent, play something else, you'll be more helpful.  If you're elite, go ahead and play sniper.  

Yes.  E.g. a good soldier will push the cart, cap or defend while still killing people whereas a good sniper will just hang back and kill people.  The soldier is undoubtedly more useful to the team.  Sure, you can be one of those mega snipers who can headshot at will, drop medics on command and throw the opposite snipers into a fit of rage.  But most snipers are only decent (at best).  And this is my point: if you're only decent, play something else, you'll be more helpful.  If you're elite, go ahead and play sniper.  

Disclaimer: Gren plays almost exclusively soldier in both PvP and MvM.

Still doesn't mean we need more snipers.

^this

I'm pretty sure duped hats being worth less is just an excuse for people to pay less for hats they want tbh

This has probably changed recently. But back in 2012 when mass-duping was a thing, before bp.tf was mainstream, people avoided duped items way more than they do now. The mass duped vintages and mass-duped rare hats like the burning hazmat, scorching ke, moon buto, beams sam, among others were avoided because of the stigma around trading with item dupers. This was not a bp.tf related phenomena, as it originated well before bp.tf existed.

This has gradually changed. Level 1 max heads are probably the most prominent example. They used to matter WAY more than they do now. Most people don't even realize why level 1 max heads are "worth" less.

Old school traders are still of the same breed. Unusuals are meant to be rare. We don't want an unusual that has been around the block a lot or has multiple copies. We want something unique. That's the whole point of having an unusual. That's why we avoid duped hats, and that's why rare, 1 of 1, clean hats have the most appeal.

Yes.  E.g. a good soldier will push the cart, cap or defend while still killing people whereas a good sniper will just hang back and kill people.  The soldier is undoubtedly more useful to the team. 

Simply wrong. It's too much work to explain everything, but you're simply wrong.

And this is my point: if you're only decent, play something else, you'll be more helpful.  If you're elite, go ahead and play sniper.

How is someone that you consider decent supposed to reach the status of "elite" if they follow the idea that you shouldn't play if you're only decent? And furthermore the Sniper is capable of either 1-shotting many classes or bringing them down to extremely low health. Example: It takes approximately 3-4 rockets to kill a full health Heavy. Sniper does it in two shots.

Simply wrong. It's too much work to explain everything, but you're simply wrong.

If it takes too much work to explain, you probably don't understand it enough.  Saying "you're simply wrong" doesn't prove your point.  

10. Keys going up doesn't have as much to do with too much refined metal or craft hats as everyone thinks, it's more related to greed. If you want to blame someone or something, blame the Key Flippers who are constantly trying to drive up prices so they can make a scrap profit.

LOL. If people really cared about keys going down, they should stop paying the prices people are charging. If everyone decided to pay 1 price, and by everyone I mean about 70-80+% of people, prices of keys would go down/up damn close to whatever that said price would be. 

I trade for profit because I'm 15 and can't get a job. I'll probably still continue when I do get a job however because I've grown somewhat attached to it. I actually find it more of a fun hobby than a tedious grind

2. This is a team based 1st person shooter in which it's impossible to win unless you work together. So turn your fucking sound on so you can at least hear what others are saying.

You've obviously never played competitive :P.

-snip-

So duping is why they're so less valuable? I never knew what was up with certain Max head levels.

So duping is why they're so less valuable? I never knew what was up with certain Max head levels.

Level 1 max heads were mass-duped. Their histories were wiped, so you can't tell that they are duped. But there are way more level 1 max heads than any other level.

9. Steamrep: Great at ruining high level trading careers and taking rare hats and pure out of the economy. At least the 12 year old kids who are (for some odd fucking reason) playing an R rated game are getting justice.

RIP sweet d0 Í¡Â° ÍœÊ– ͡°)

3 is completely wrong.

Have you ever watched a plat highlander match? Sniper is one of the most devastating classes and almost all of the time, quite an important pick to get. 

3 is completely wrong.

Have you ever watched a plat highlander match? Sniper is one of the most devastating classes and almost all of the time, quite an important pick to get. 

That jab was more directed at pubs than anything else.  A good sniper - when there is only one sniper on the team - is quite an asset.  However 5 decent snipers are undoubtedly much less productive than 5 decent soldiers on the same team.  

6. I estimate that less than 1% of all traders actually make more profit on a weekly basis than they would working a minimum wage job. If profit is the only thing you're interested in, invest your energy into something else which will yield infinitely more wealth for you than TF2 ever could.

Well its not like people instead of looking for jobs they are compensating for some tf2 profit.

Its more like a hobby.. as in doing it in your free time, and not full time.

Its pretty possible to win without teamwork because on the majority of servers that anomaly called "teamwork" doesn't exist. Unless you play with friends, i don't recommend playing this game relying on other players because you are angering yourself in vain.

4. Everywhere else in life, experience is a highly valued asset and respected and rewarded. When it comes to TF2 however, more specifically MvM, experience apparently doesn't matter at all, at least according to those who have none.

Unless you are stacked with digital vanities to stroke your self-esteem when you are worshiped by those protoplasmic junior hamplanets, you are not considered experienced when you don't have cosmetics.

People will get annoyed by you because apparently you take the game too seriously for the others when you play with default skin, so any visual skill that you have will completely be nullified because they will either leave the game or your mother will become a guru brothel employee by how many of them wants to have sexual intercourse with her.

Other than that you are pretty much right.

It's not really wrong, but I'll help you explain.

Snipers killing enemy classes will extend the time for own players lifetime in a single life. It is also more effective as to say Snipers are long-range shooters since mostly, only spies or snipers from another team can kill a sniper, so therefore, you can say it's very hard to kill one if you're in another class. This will increase the "push" time of the cart and therefore leading to victory.

However, if the whole team are snipers and they are not interested in pushing the cart, then I'm afraid that the whole team will loose.

It's all about teamwork. Everybody has their own opinions at things.

Now, I just want to point out that just because somebody with >10 tours hops in, and goes sniper, while a 7 tour goes spy, and a 15 tour goes demo, means you should go "ugh" and leave. Rude Gren.... We get perfects with that combo on all maps of 2 cities. Ask first, or leave when we wipe. Not before round 1.

I agree with most of the rest. Just need to say that...

Still love ya <3

#9 tho. Ive never cared for scammers, sharkers, so on. Especially when you see high tier traders like d0 getting banned for some garbage, it really ruins things. Of course, there are some people who deserve it and shouldn't be trading anyway (depends who it is, imo). But the point of trading should be keeping the rare items in circulation, not locking them in a banned user's backpack forever. I really strongly believe that the only people who get scammed in a game about virtual items are people who are oblivious to how trading works and morons. With that being said, I have been scammed before, I have known people who have been scammed before, and I know how it feels. The first time I got scammed it was because I was oblivious to the prices and tier effects. The second time was really out of my power, but I took the risk so I just accepted the loss (he was reported but I never followed through with finishing the evidence. The mods ask too damn much). I know I'm going to get hate for this, but fuck me right ;D

I've been saying this for over a year and everyone acted like I was an idiot... good to know someone else agrees.

And #9: In my opinion FoG/outpost are worse than SteamRep. SteamRep, despite what people think, isn't actually the one who bans people for trading with scammers. I used to think they did too, but here's what mattie told me: 

It's really hard to get SteamRep to ban someone for trading with scammers. You have to show that you're purposely trying to profit from a scammer's items, usually multiple times. If we didn't have some policy against this, we'd go back to the early days of TF2 where scammers would just give the items to an "innocent" account to broker (i.e. an alt or close friend) and be able to unload stolen goods with impunity.

I don't know the best answer to that, but we try to be reasonable about this sort of thing. People make mistakes and we try to be understanding about that and give warnings/feedback on how they can avoid doing that again next time.

Some partners are more aggressive for banning for trades with scammers, and that probably ends up getting treated as SteamRep doing it-- or at least doesn't help the situation.

Now, I just want to point out that just because somebody with >10 tours hops in, and goes sniper, while a 7 tour goes spy, and a 15 tour goes demo, means you should go "ugh" and leave. Rude Gren.... We get perfects with that combo on all maps of 2 cities. Ask first, or leave when we wipe. Not before round 1.

I agree with most of the rest. Just need to say that...

Still love ya <3

I want to step in and say that in my ~200 tours, I can count EXACTLY four times where a situation like that happened. Four times. Compare that to the 100s of other times where a similar situation resulted in a complete wipe out.

Gren's point is obviously directed to those who have no idea what is going on, period. It's easy to tell the difference between a player who has done their homework and actually thinks about what they are doing, versus a player who mindlessly uses ineffective weapons (i.e tomislav or gunslinger) with poor upgrades, with no thought put into what they are doing whatsoever. The first player is more likely to at least listen to advice from someone with lots of tours, whereas the second is likely to dismiss the advice and continue to be dead weight to their team.

Archived