Colleges....Majors....Life...

AwesomeMcCoolName

So....its that time of year....Time to decide where to go to college...

Choices: 

--University of Illinois Urbana Champaign, School of Computer Science

--Babson College 

--University of Michigan, School of Computer Engineering (pending acceptance letter)

--Carnegie Mellon University, School of Computer Science (pending acceptance letter)

Questions: 

1) Computer Science/Engineering/Business? I had focused almost entirely on computer engineering/science, with the exception being Babson....Now, for life which would be the better choice? 

--I'm personally thinking computer science/engineering because its a constantly growing field that isn't to overpopulated, but on the other hand my parents think that a degree in business would be better (be your own boss....)....

2) Of the choices so far, which is better, both academically and geographically (when money is considered, Carnegie Melon is clearly the best for engineering, but is it worth the extra money) 

2) Of the choices so far, which is better, both academically and geographically  (input from someone who has/is currently attending one of those schools would be appreciated).

Carnegie Mellon.

What does "(pending acceptance letter)" mean? EA / ED?

Should probably rephrase that question,

2) Of the choices so far, which is better, both academically and geographically? (when money is considered)

i.e. CMU is clearly the best, but is it worth the extra money. 

1) Computer Science/Engineering/Business? I had focused almost entirely on computer engineering/science, with the exception being Babson....Now, for life which would be the better choice? 

--I'm personally thinking computer science/engineering because its a constantly growing field that isn't to overpopulated, but on the other hand my parents think that a degree in business would be better (be your own boss....)....

CS/Engineering is better if you are good at it / willing to work long and hard on it.  Business is better if you aren't awesome/willing to work hard at any one thing.  Be honest with yourself when you consider that.  It is unlikely you will be your own boss in either.

let me know if you end up at cmu

Engineering and Business often go hand in hand. 

My father, being a business major, advised that I, a future Engineering major, take a few business classes at college.

With constantly-advancing technology, a degree in Computer Science or Engineering would be fantastic. 

I think you should ask yourself what kind of career you're most comfortable with. 

Just my two cents, anyways.

So....its that time of year....Time to decide where to go to college...

Choices: 

--University of Illinois Urbana Champaign, School of Computer Science

--Babson College 

--University of Michigan, School of Computer Engineering (pending acceptance letter)

--Carnegie Mellon University, School of Computer Science (pending acceptance letter)

Questions: 

2) Of the choices so far, which is better, both academically and geographically (when money is considered, Carnegie Melon is clearly the best for engineering, but is it worth the extra money) 

Computer Science all the way. You have no idea how much it will help you get a job later. I cannot emphasize this enough. It's to the point at which I will be majoring in Comp. Sci even though I'm aiming for a job in marketing and finance at Microsoft, since Comp. Sci majors tend to be considered first.

Why the fuck would you post this for random people on the internet's input?!

Well, why not?

good advice for anyone.

Already planning on at least minoring in business (and the thought of a dual major had crossed my mind--biz/cs, or alternatively, majoring/getting a bachelors in one and getting a masters (or phd--one can hope :D) in one))

These kind of questions cannot be answered by anyone else but yourself. What do YOU want to do? Think hard, choose wisely. Because if you live in the US, the education won't come cheaply.

Also please take note that taking a business degree doesn't make you good at making money, no schools directly teach how YOU can make money. They teach how money works, and that's about it.

I hope what I said was insightful, if you would like to discuss more on this subject, feel free to PM me.

• 2 weeks later...

I got my compsci degree. However, the problem these days is the market place, at least in my experience in Dallas, is that employers want BOTH degree and on job experience before they will consider you. I was lucky and had about 2 years experience in network/system administration during my degree and was able to move up. 

I got my compsci degree. However, the problem these days is the market place, at least in my experience in Dallas, is that employers want BOTH degree and on job experience before they will consider you. I was lucky and had about 2 years experience in network/system administration during my degree and was able to move up.

I've also heard a lot of stories about major tech firms won't even look at an applicant who doesn't have a degree in business....

So, i think i'm leaning towards Babson (get an MBA), and then go to graduate school and get a degree in Comp Science

Engineering and Business often go hand in hand. 

This may be different with computer Engineering, but as an engineer I would disagree with this statement.  While it is not uncommon for businesses to move engineers from an engineering role to a business role, with some exceptions this usually does not work out the best since Engineers tend to have a mindset that doesn't lend itself toward working on the business side of things.  I'm not saying that it's impossible and the guy who hired me (now in partial retirement) had an Engineering liscence but did very little engineering because he was the President of a company.

I personally know that I want to stay on the engineering side of things and not have to deal with the politics of the business side of my company.  The tasks and responsibilities are rather different between the two fields and it would probably be best to understand which one would be better suited for your personality and what you want to do.  Of course having a little education in the other field that you do not focus on can never hurt though so you can't really go wrong by including some business with your engineering courses.

Again, this may differ when it comes to computer Engineering vs business in the same field.  This is just based on my experience as an engineer in the Electrical industry.

Archived