What constitutes a "relationship"?

Explosion-chan

I'm currently dating a girl and we both like each other a lot. We're actively going on dates, and it's basically exclusive, but neither of us consider it to be "in a relationship." Stuff with her ex made her not ready for another relationship yet, but she does say she likes me a lot. Would it be accurate to say we're "dating?" Most people consider that to be in a relationship.

that is a relationship. it's extremely suspicious if she doesn't consider it one. 

that is a relationship. it's extremely suspicious if she doesn't consider it one.

She actually has a really good reason, if you wanna know, I can PM it, but I don't just wanna share it out here.

• Administrators

I mean technically anyone you interact with you have a relationship with. Friends, family, etc. I know you're not really asking that, but we can't define what kind of relationship you have for you... that's for you and her to do. If you're not sure, then communicate with her. If you're just asking what to call it then... who cares? :P

When you say 'basically exclusive' does that mean there's a slight chance it's not exclusive?

What makes both of you consider it not 'a relationship' or you just saying it because that's what she wants to hear?

I would consider anyone that is exclusively dating to be in a relationship otherwise say you're 'hanging' out with a friend instead of going on a 'date'.

Nah' mean?

Sorry I've been married and with the same girl / woman for 15+ years now so my view on reality isn't what it once was, GOD help me.

I live vicariously through you youths now.

it's absolutely not "suspicious" at all. at worst it's unclear; there's no need or rationale for jumping straight to suspicion or assume that they have bad intentions

it's absolutely not "suspicious" at all. at worst it's unclear; there's no need or rationale for jumping straight to suspicion or assume that they have bad intentions

youll learn over time its perfectly good reason for suspicion.

OP, I'd say you're technically dating. but since she's being a douche and saying you're not, I'd say for now you're just her ATM, where she puts in feelings and receives out money.

> We're actively going on dates,

> Would it be accurate to say we're "dating?"

yes.

> Most people consider that to be in a relationship.

being in a relationship means different things to different people. Perhaps it would be better to acknowledge what you have opposite to trying to label it?

She actually has a really good reason, if you wanna know, I can PM it, but I don't just wanna share it out here.

i'm curious now.

still an immature excuse tbh. never stunt your boyfriend, just because your past isn't the greatest.

If it were me, I'd break up with her because it sounds like she's making excuses to remain free of commitment in case she does something that ordinarily would make her the badguy.  That's just what it sounds like to me.  Doesn't mean it's true.  If you're not interested in being in a relationship with her, then I guess it's not a big deal.  If you are, then you're likely going to get hurt.  You could even get hurt if you don't even like her that much.  It's happened to me.  Rejection feels pretty bad, even if you didn't even care that much for the person in the first place.

Right now I'm in this strange relationship right now that's kinda similar to yours. She has me and a bf, but she considers to be a 'side chick'. It's not fun being in that position and I'm seriously thinking of ending it.

Right now I'm in this strange relationship right now that's kinda similar to yours. She has me and a bf, but she considers to be a 'side chick'. It's not fun being in that position and I'm seriously thinking of ending it.

She considers you a side chick or what? Does the bf know or is she cheating on him?

She considers you a side chick or what? Does the bf know or is she cheating on him?

No, her bf doesn't know

I'm currently dating a girl and we both like each other a lot. We're actively going on dates, and it's basically exclusive, but neither of us consider it to be "in a relationship." Stuff with her ex made her not ready for another relationship yet, but she does say she likes me a lot. Would it be accurate to say we're "dating?" Most people consider that to be in a relationship.

I think you answered your own question. 

Based off of the information you've given it's quite clear that you're "dating". From how I've heard people define a relationship, it is often considered a relationship after you've dated a while and you are both very comfortable with each other. So, you aren't necessarily in a "relationship" yet, though it is on the horizon.

Though I think you should stop worrying about the terminology and be glad you have someone special. If you aren't sure what the terms of your relationship are, just ask her. 

No, her bf doesn't know

I couldn't do that to her, no...

In the end, Someone in your triangle is going to get very hurt.

The longer you continue, the harder it's going to be.

Think harder, and end it.

In the end, Someone in your triangle is going to get very hurt.

The longer you continue, the harder it's going to be.

Think harder, and end it.

Wow, that is actually a very nice quote.... I think I'll but this on my profile

Its there now

Archived