Scammed; What to do?

6359_

Okay, my friend got scammed of his unusual while playing along with the scammer. He traded the unusual to a friend; and when that friend sent it back, the scammer had somehow changed his name to the same of the real unusual owner on a 2nd account that magically had been added to the friend's contact list. The friend unsuspectingly traded the unusual to the scammer's second account, and wham.

The unusual was worth ~24 keys, which for my friend is a fortune. Any tips on what to do now? 

(Sorry if it's hard to understand)

The scammer's ID: 76561198171005402
The scammer's second account ID: 76561198158917716

Wow. I would love to have seen the look on your friend's face once s/he realised that they'd actually been scammed. If they traded willingly, then I don't think anything can be done

Your friend is an idiot. He fell for the oldest trick in the book.

Anyway, as Squid said, if it was a willing trade, nothing you can do. Steam Support, if they even respond, which just tell him 'should've checked', which is absolutely fair enough.

It's your friend's fault.

Valve needs to implement some sort of intelligence test that prevents those who do not understand how to identify a scam attempt from using Steam trading.

Posted · Hidden by puddingkip, May 23, 2015 - No reason given
Hidden by puddingkip, May 23, 2015 - No reason given

Steam needs to implement some sort of intelligence test that prevents those who do not understand how to identify a scam attempt from using Steam trading.

Valve needs to implement some sort of intelligence test that prevents those who do not understand how to identify a scam attempt from using Steam trading.

Its called nicknames. 

fnqc.png

Okay, my friend got scammed of his unusual while playing along with the scammer. He traded the unusual to a friend; and when that friend sent it back, the scammer had somehow changed his name to the same of the real unusual owner on a 2nd account that magically had been added to the friend's contact list. The friend unsuspectingly traded the unusual to the scammer's second account, and wham.

The unusual was worth ~24 keys, which for my friend is a fortune. Any tips on what to do now? 

(Sorry if it's hard to understand)

The scammer's ID: 76561198171005402
The scammer's second account ID: 76561198158917716

Oh for gods sake. He traded with someone who has a mercenary medal dated with February 2015...NEVER trade with someone using cash unless they have over a year. Always check his ID on steamrep and see if he/she has any pending reports. The fact that people still don't know about this kinda stuff is somewhat saddening. 

The first time I ever experience this scam, I invited my friend and the scammer into a group chat. So when my friend was still in the chat and sending me messages, I knew the other duplicate friend was a fake. It's even easier if you have real life friends in a voice chat. Hopefully they won't let you get scammed.

I would tell your friend analyse what happened so it doesn't happen again. Also remind him that they're just pixels, I got scammed recently, I fell for the oldest trick. What he has to do is be like 'meh' and move on.

Its called nicknames. 

fnqc.png

Sadly, the majority of people who fall for these sorts of scams probably don't know about nicknames.

Your first step should be to report the user if you haven't already. Then simply start from scratch, buy items for less, sell them for more. There should be plenty of ways to do this. If he has some starting funds, he can start back up easily. If not, then tell 'em to go scrap bank. After making some profits, you can safely go and invest in some higher-tier stuffs. Then simply work back to unusual trading. 

Also remind him that they're just pixels

Paypal is just 1s and 0s on a computer too. So is your bank account.

Happened to me before too, just gotta put it behind you and move forward. sucks that theres nothing you can do but it is what it is :/

I honestly don't know whats worse, the Fact that someone once thought that this scam would work at all...
Or the fact that it is so damned effective...

I honestly don't know whats worse, the Fact that someone once thought that this scam would work at all...

Never forget how dumb the average person is, and remember that half of everyone is even dumber than that.

Mass suggestion scamming involving simple methods seems to be more worthwile than targeting a few users with more complex scams.

Valve even implemented a thing that says how long you've been friends with the user, how the fuck does someone see "you have been friends with this user for 1 day" and go "oh okay, this must be my friend!"

Archived